Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Atlanta residents...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,842

Atlanta residents...

Jan 7, 2017, 7:53 AM

Anyone care to share the weather conditions in Atlanta? We got barely anything where I'm at. Considering heading up today in advance of tomorrow's flight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Main roadsHighways are in decent shape and

Jan 7, 2017, 8:49 AM

Folks are laying low and not out and about right now. Per usual, everyone freaked out for days leading up to yesterday and emptied all the grocery store shelves and gas stations as if Armageddon were at the door. ??

You should be fine getting to the airport since you are not driving back streets around here to get there.

Re: Main roadsHighways are in decent shape and

Jan 7, 2017, 8:51 AM

I was actually thinking of going to the CFB Hall of Fame. Website says it's open at noon.

One guy from Oregon/Washington area was at G'vegas Bilo...

Jan 7, 2017, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Main roadsHighways are in decent shape and ]

yesterday. He said people in his part of the country would laugh at us for what's going on here. I told him people in his part of the country know how to drive in snow. People here don't so we know to prepare for an extraordinary event like a good snow.

He was stunned. I couldn't tell why but perhaps it was my firm, concise and accurate statement about my understanding of southern culture or the condescending tone to someone who removed all doubt of their lack thereof. Never-the-less, half a dozen other folks and I gave him a look of disbelief that he was so gauche as to make a spectacle of himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up in Greenville and after Clemson have had jobs that

Jan 7, 2017, 9:21 AM

moved me to Boston and Portland, Oregon. You learn how to cope and drive when you live in it for a while and work doesn't stop.

I too know how things work down here so I just get in line and go with the flow. But I don't prepare because I'm worried about driving myself. I do it because I don't want to be in the road with crazy people who have no clue how to drive in the snow. ????

All that said, we do tend to get more ice here and NO ONE can drive on ice! And power outages occur so you better be ready for that event too.

I just needed 2 jalapeños and the grocery lines were crazy

Jan 7, 2017, 9:31 AM [ in reply to One guy from Oregon/Washington area was at G'vegas Bilo... ]

Long (about a 45 minute wait). So I took a dollar out my wallet, walked to the front register person, handed him the $1, showed him the 2 jalapeños (cost about ~.75 cents) and said "keep the change". I figured it was better than shoplifting them.

I cannot wait for the day when your phone or the store systems will allow you to scan what you are buying as you pick it up and onthe way through the exit, it automatically charges your account. No more cashier lines!

Sam's Club does this already

Jan 7, 2017, 5:43 PM

I prefer Costco by far, but checking out with my phone at Sam's keeps me going back there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always ask knowitalls like that...

Jan 7, 2017, 10:06 AM [ in reply to One guy from Oregon/Washington area was at G'vegas Bilo... ]

how long a period have you gone without power in your entire life?

For them it's usually a couple days.
for me - 6 days in an ice storm (with lows of 10 degrees at night), 3 weeks in hurricane (Hugo).

The biggest problem is people from up North...

Jan 7, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to One guy from Oregon/Washington area was at G'vegas Bilo... ]

thinking we clear the roads like they do, going out and driving like idiots.

Go Tigers!

Re: Atlanta residents...

Jan 7, 2017, 9:31 AM

I'm in Marietta and it's a dusting of snow over a sheet of ice. As soon as idiots compact/melt down the snow it will be all ice.

But the highways over there are ok, correct?***

Jan 7, 2017, 9:33 AM

Jan 7, 2017, 9:35 AM
IMG_9798.JPG(206.0 K)

My friend lived in Chamblee, a perimeter town of Atlanta and this is the picture of his yard that he just sent me. I know it sounds egregious coming from a Yankee and all, but if this frightens you or keeps you under lock & key, it's hard not to laugh.

Jan 7, 2017, 9:42 AM

And 85 is clear. No need to pack the car with batteries, blankets, canned goods and kitty litter just yet lol. Bottom line, slow your roll. Don't ride people's #####. Be mindful of those around you. Always assume the worst lies beneath that dust of snow. If you have summer tires, rent a car. If you have winter tires, throw them on. You're going to live! The forecast is sunny and cold, no precipitation expected.

Go Tigers!

Jan 7, 2017, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Atlanta residents... ]

Around here it looks nothing like that. Streets are completely covered. I'd welcome you to come show me how to drive on ice. Not snow, but ice when the roads have zero treatment.

Jan 7, 2017, 9:52 AM

I'd write my congressmen after this happening every other year for the last decade and tell him/her to leave some money in the budget for road salt & sand, that's what I'd do. This isn't the first snowfall that has hit the southeast in the last 200 years or anything. It's like when I hear coastal cities act surprised about that big body of water flooding their streets every other year during hurricane season but no one ever thinks to build or budget for retaining walls and drainage planning. Forgive me if that sounds ignorant to any of you. It's 2017, it snows in Atlanta these days. The "well it only snows here once every decade" excuse doesn't apply these days. Stop being defensive, buy yourself a set of proper winter tires to keep in the garage during the warm months and tell your politicians to buy some fn plows and salt/sand. It's sunny and 29 degrees in Chamblee, which is right along I-85 and my friend said there's zero traffic and clear roads. The world isn't ending.

Three words for you...

Jan 7, 2017, 5:17 PM

Cost/Benefit Analysis

I know right.

Jan 7, 2017, 5:19 PM

Point for you sir.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody can drive on ICE, yankee or not.***

Jan 7, 2017, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Atlanta residents... ]

It's 12:41 PM and my drive way and the road in front of my

Jan 7, 2017, 12:48 PM

house are dry. Snow is gone from the road but exists in the yard. I live in north Atlanta. Flying to Sarasota tomorrow. Not worried about getting to the airport.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2017, 12:51 PM

Just left Atlanta and driving south since our flight was canceled. There was ice in areas....but not too bad on the main roads.

My policy... if personal, never fly if you can drive it...

Jan 7, 2017, 5:24 PM

In under 8-9 hours...

driving 60 down 285 east right now

Jan 7, 2017, 12:53 PM

All five lanes wide open. Awesome

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just 60? 85 minimum!***

Jan 7, 2017, 5:22 PM

60 when I'm on social media. 80 when

Jan 7, 2017, 5:33 PM

I'm yelling at the wife and kids. For the record this a joke people! Everyone is so sensitive these days

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,842
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic