Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A trivia question for trueClemson football fans. I just
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

A trivia question for trueClemson football fans. I just

Dec 22, 2014, 7:39 PM

watched the BYU/Memphis game which ended in overtime. My question has always been, who has the winningest margin ever in an OT game. I think the answer is Clemson.

If I recall, many years ago we had to go into OT with Duke at Clemson. We scored first and went up by 7. During Duke's next drive we intercepted a pass for a touchdown. Therefore we won an OT game by 13. Can anyone else confirm?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rabin Abdullah with the interception

Dec 22, 2014, 7:41 PM

Though I think it was just a 9 point victory as we only kicked a FG in our half of OT

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rahim Abdullah. nm***

Dec 22, 2014, 7:45 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed

Dec 22, 2014, 7:57 PM

Don't know whether it was fat fingers or auto correct, but thanks for catching it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rabin Abdullah with the interception

Dec 22, 2014, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Rabin Abdullah with the interception ]

1997-my freshman year at Clemson. 29-20. We still haven't lost at home to duke since 1980 I think.

Re: A trivia question for trueClemson football fans. I just

Dec 22, 2014, 7:50 PM

ASU:

http://www.answers.com/Q/Largest_margin_of_victory_in_a_college_football_overtime_game

"ASU beat USC 47 - 34 in 2OT in 1996 (scored TD on offense, returned fumble for TD on defense). "

We only won by 9

Dec 22, 2014, 8:22 PM

"Clemson and Duke met in the first overtime game between two ACC teams in 1997. The Tigers won the contest by the unusual score of 29-20. David Richardson kicked a field goal on Clemson's possession, then Rahim Abdullah intercepted a pass and ran 63 yards for a score, giving Clemson the nine-point win."

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205723980

Re: We only won by 9

Dec 22, 2014, 8:28 PM

Ugghh. The Tommy West era. Overtime games with Duke , in football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: We only won by 9

Dec 22, 2014, 8:41 PM

That era was not pretty, but give him (Tommy West) credit. Remember, he did follow Hatfield who had left the talent cupboard completely empty. Hatfield took a team, 3 deep in NFL level talent, used it all up, and then left our program devoid of any meaningful talent. It has taken a long time to fix that stupidity. It should be said that when he left there was no problem with an NCAA investigation (they don't investigate unsuccessful programs - re. usuc for all those years).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brian Dawkins was recruited by Hatfield***

Dec 22, 2014, 9:10 PM

Re: Brian Dawkins was recruited by Hatfield***

Dec 23, 2014, 5:35 AM

A blind hog will find an acorn every now and then. I stand my ground when I say he is the absolute worst coach in Clemson history. When he took over we were 3 deep with pretty great talent at every position. When he left there was hardly anything left of quality, and it really took until several years into Bowden's regime to start getting a semblance of talent back, and that mainly was at skill positions. I think Hatfield was a nice man who ran a clean program, but he did us no favors, used up most of the talent and he was axed way too late.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't the maximum margin possible in OT be 14 points?

Dec 22, 2014, 8:37 PM

If you scored a TD, went for two and made it, then ran back an interception or fumble. The game would then immediately be over. I don't foresee a situation that would give you a bigger margin than 14.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wouldn't the maximum margin possible in OT be 14 points?

Dec 22, 2014, 8:58 PM

13 would be the maximum because there would be no need to kick an extra point.

He's right though

Dec 22, 2014, 9:07 PM

If you went for 2 in OT and made it, then intercepted and returned for a TD it would be a 14 point win.

Re: A trivia question for trueClemson football fans. I just

Dec 22, 2014, 10:09 PM

Per Internet: ASU beat USC 47 - 34 in 2OT in 1996 (scored TD on offense, returned fumble for TD on defense).

But 14 is possible as discussed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thirteen is possible, not 14.....once the game is won, no

Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 PM

extra points are attempted...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thirteen is possible, not 14.....once the game is won, no

Dec 23, 2014, 1:05 AM

TD and 2 point conversion equals 8. An interception run for a TD makes 6. 6 + 8 = 14.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lennon and McCartney were both British, metric

Dec 23, 2014, 7:17 AM

system may have got him?

good job, gray bengal, u r rite *

Dec 23, 2014, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Thirteen is possible, not 14.....once the game is won, no ]

nm

The final score was 29-20.

Dec 23, 2014, 2:59 AM

My father and I were among the first fans to greet Rahim Abdullah in the endzone. I'll never forget it. Soon after reaching Abdullah, we were swarmed by a host of other Clemson players who essentially ran me over (I was 13). My glasses got knocked off my face and were lying about 15 feet away. It was great. Funny how a game against lowly Duke can mean so much, but it was honestly one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had at Death Valley. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The final score was 29-20.

Dec 23, 2014, 12:14 PM

we were pretty lowly too in 1997, just sayin

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic