Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Mother's Day Story With a Pocket Comb Twist
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,025

A Mother's Day Story With a Pocket Comb Twist

May 13, 2018, 4:08 PM

My Mother was born near Monroe, WI in 1885, the last of ten children. About 1890, her parents and the five youngest children moved to Tennessee. The five oldest, all girls, were married and living in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Unfortunately, my Mother became ill nd died in 1935, a short time after my 13th. birthday. While visiting relatives in Wisconsin about 40 years ago, one of my relatives showed me a small stick pin with a photo of a young girl and asked if I knew who it was. I looked at the photo and said, "yes, that's my Mother". She gave me the stick pin and I took it home. Later on I showed it to my siblings and we estimated she was probably about 15 - 17 years old when the photo was made. I am one of those people who puts things away in a safe place so they will not forget where it is and then I forget where it is.

On the top of one of my bureaus is a small two-drawer chest with a mirror. I'm always losing pocket combs so over the years have kept several combs in one of the drawers. The other day I lost another comb so yesterday May 12) it was back to the drawer for a replacement. The only comb I could find was an old comb with about 25% of the teeth missing. But something caught my eye and when I picked it up, there was the stick pin with my Mother's photo. Forty years later I finally found what I thought I had lost many years earlier.

During the time frame when the photo was made, traveling with fairs and carnivals were people who made and sold the stick pin photos. We now believe the photo was made when a fair or carnival visited her home town in Tennessee. She also probably had enough made so she could send one to each of her sisters in Wisconsin and Michigan. The one I now have was apparently the one she sent to her sister in Juda, WI, a small town near Monroe.

What a wonderful discovery to celebrate Mother's Day.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Mother's Day Story With a Pocket Comb Twist

May 13, 2018, 4:24 PM

Great story Joe. I'm one of those who "puts things away" and occasionally I find something I thought was gone forever. Be thankful you still need a comb!

A couple of years ago the Clemson club in this area had a party for a Clemson veteran as you are.
We helped him celebrate his 100th birthday and I learned just yesterday that he doing great at 102. He's the oldest living IPTAY member, as you might imagine. I thought of you yesterday when I was told that he is doing great, as you obviously are too. Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Mother's Day Story With a Pocket Comb Twist

May 13, 2018, 9:38 PM

I rummaged through a box yesterday and found my Granddaddy's favorite bow tie. I'd put it in a safe place with the original paper work from my antique Mercedes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,025
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic