Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Those that follow baseball closer than I do and know the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Those that follow baseball closer than I do and know the

Jun 2, 2023, 4:26 PM

details better, question for you. We obviously won and the final score was great. I could tell from the board here that some of us were a little worried. I know there is a bit of gamesmanship at times. In other words, do you play your best pitcher to "guarantee" a win? Do you hold back the best expecting to play our toughest opponent tomorrow? Anything like that happen today or was it just one of those games they grinded out and won? In fact in baseball as much or more than any other sport, sometimes the best team doesn't win. I'm thankful our boys fought the entire game and laid it on them in the final stretch, but just curious about some of those details I may not have realized.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They never had a doubt***

Jun 2, 2023, 4:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those that follow baseball closer than I do and know the

Jun 2, 2023, 4:29 PM

Typically, you are not going to hold back pitching in tournaments like this. Every single win matters, gotta get them when you can.

They scored their runs on home runs that should not have been a shocker if you looked at their team stats.

Overall happy with the game. Need to clean up the fielding mistakes and keep the ball down.

Still confident as ever going into the next game.

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lipscomb's starter was very good, but he was over 100 ...

Jun 2, 2023, 4:29 PM

... pitches in 6th inning.

He kept us off balance and limited our runs, but we also fouled off a lot of pitches which raised the count.

We feasted on their relievers.

Gordon and Clayton were OK, but throw too many meatballs (down the middle & high in the zone w/ no movement).

But they were good enough for us to get the win.

Now we've saved Grice for tomorrow night. And Darden and relievers for Sunday.

Re: Lipscomb's starter was very good, but he was over 100 ...

Jun 2, 2023, 5:16 PM

I’m amazed that Garris continues to have success throwing fastballs 80% of the time with minimal location. He does touch 94 but the way he finishes his pitches and hides the ball it looks like 100 to the hitters. The ball really gets on them quick but it’s still a flat fastball. Olenchuk on the other hand had to change his arm slot because even though he also could touch 94 he wasn’t hiding the ball at all. Batters were able to see his pitches easily and crush them. I’m just waiting for a team to sit fastball vs our relievers and mash them. Hopefully I’ll be waiting into 2024

Jun 2, 2023, 4:30 PM

I never held my best in case you lose. Always win the game you are playing., game is hard enough as it is. Beautiful game though. Today’s game had it all. Small ball, double steals, home runs.

Agreed, I understand the temptation but at this level where

Jun 2, 2023, 4:35 PM

does that leave you if you lose? I am very pleased with today's outcome I was just curious because admittedly I'm more of a casual fan. I don't live close so don't go to the games. I keep up with the scores and follow the threads at times. If I catch one on tv I watch it. So, I don't know as much about it as many of you do obviously. I appreciate the information from you and several here.

Re: Agreed, I understand the temptation but at this level where

Jun 2, 2023, 5:20 PM

I just appreciate you admitting to what you do and don’t know instead of hiding behind your pulse while criticizing the baseball “know it alls” like myself lol
I’m always happy to discuss or educate our fans on baseball. It’s a very complex game that is hard to understand if you didn’t play it. Even if you did play it there’s still no guarantee that you’re smart situationally. The best coaches were the good/average players when they played

Jun 2, 2023, 4:30 PM

I never held my best in case you lose. Always win the game you are playing., game is hard enough as it is. Beautiful game though. Today’s game had it all. Small ball, double steals, home runs.

Jun 2, 2023, 4:34 PM

If your #2 is good and almost as good as your #1 then I think it’s def fine to save your ace. Grice could’ve showed out today but then you’re talking about Gordon vs Tenn. He already gets hit hard when he gets hit. I wouldn’t want him leaving pitches up to Tenn. Grice locates, has downhill plane action due to his height and he is able to get thru lineups the first time with just 2 pitches. He always saves the changeup for later in the game so the hitters can’t get comfortable and catch onto tendencies. Some hosts can’t afford to throw their #2 today but we could.

Jun 2, 2023, 4:56 PM

This is the best 64 teams in the nation, they all give the same number of scholarships and there will be upsets. Hopefully, we can breeze though in 3 games and have a few days rest before the Super Regional.

Jun 2, 2023, 5:12 PM

It’ll be anything but a breeze I can guarantee that. Our relief pitching will be sure to tighten your ######## up 😂 I hope I’m wrong and we revisit this post

Always your best. Just look at who LSU started today

Jun 2, 2023, 4:59 PM

against 19-40 Tulane

I was at the game and my take was

Jun 2, 2023, 5:01 PM

that Lipscomb pulled out all the stops, used their ace and ran him hard, while we held our ace and did what we needed to do.

They were scrappy, and loaded with power at the plate. Their ace lasted into the 7th.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A couple of things to keep in mind...

Jun 2, 2023, 5:08 PM

The biggest difference between a good college baseball team and a great college baseball team is pitching, partly because the better pitchers coming out of high school often opt for MLB and a nice signing bonus.

Every coach has an opinion/preference about the pitching rotation in tournament ball, especially in a double elimination tournament format where your starting rotation and your bullpen can really be stretched thin, particularly if you have to play your way through the losers bracket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Depends on situation

Jun 2, 2023, 5:12 PM

Our high school won state championship by saving our best pitcher until Game 2 (of the 3 game series). The opposing pitcher was drafted in MLB 2nd round, and was unhittable for all season and game 1. Won games 2 and 3 to capture championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2023, 5:19 PM

Just to add flavor to what others have said. Clemson's pitching rotation has been pretty stable during the late season run with Darden on Friday, Gordon on Saturday, Grice on Sunday. The mid week pitcher has been Joe Allen to start and then really just a hodge podge sometimes pitching 7 or eight guys in mid week games. I was somewhat surprised to see Allen in the first game of the ACC tournament, I would have expected Darden since he is the Friday starter. I suspect Bakich pitched Allen because he knew that win or lose there would be another game to play regardless, and he would have all of his weekend starters available and rested. In Game 2 of the tournament he went with Gordon, then Grice for Game 3, and Darden for the Championship game. Gordon and Grice have put together several quality starts ( games with 5 plus innings pitched). Darden on the other hand has had trouble getting deep in games usually averaging around 4 innings which puts more stress on the bullpen in relief pitching. Tomorrow I bet we see Grice he is pitching well and will normally get deep in the game which allows the bullpen to rest. If we win Game 2 of the regional we will see Darden in Game 3 and even if he doesn't go deep in the game he will have a fresh bullpen to help him out. I suspect Bakich has shown us what his formula will be going forward in the post season.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic