Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speculation from an OU board.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Speculation from an OU board.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:27 AM

I am posting this only for information purposes. The guy claims to have sources, and he may but he may not. I'm posting it because what he says is reasonable. (It's the way many coaching searches were done 20 or more years ago.

1. You interview several candidates. You start at the top of the list and go down until somebody says yes.
2. You have a guy who isn't your first choice but you know he will say yes. He is your bird in the hand.
3. You keep elephant hunting, knowing you have a nice fall back position.

(Just one example from way back in the past. That's the way Chuck Amato was hired at NCSU. He was an FSU assistant and did not hide the fact that he was openly campaigning for the job. He interviewed. He wasn't hired until two or three weeks later after they missed on their elephants.)

Well, according to this guy, Venables is the bird in hand. One or more of the elephants is coaching this Saturday. (Speculation is it includes Fickell and Lanning. Others may be included.)

OK, here is my guess. And, it is only a guess. I know absolutely nothing.

OU is trying to use the process above. I think they are vetting several guys. I think people whose names we have seen are included. I also think names nobody ever thought of are involved. (If Riley can go to USC, nothing will surprise me at who OU hires.)

As for their bird in hand, I speculate it is either Venables or Matt Campbell. But, it could be Shane Beamer. He was apparently very well liked and highly thought of among the brass while he was at OU. It could be Josh Huepel. It could be Jason Garrett. It could be Lane Kiffin. It could be somebody I've never heard of.

I think they want to interview Fickell, and probably Lanning. Maybe others. Whether either has agreed to, I have no idea.

So, other than Dabo or Nick, I can't think of anybody I would be totally shocked at being named HC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speculation from an OU board.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:33 AM

Go ahead and add Kirby Smart to your list of coaches who will not be the next head coach at Oklahoma.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:36 AM

You aren't right often on TNET, but you are right about this one.

Kirby is also untouchable for at least the next handful of years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Shane was on their list, hence one of the first along with CBV to be mentioned. According to the two rather large USC donors, Shane told their AD he'd help any way he could but to take him off their list.

I'd agree with Bret. I would disagree with Bret that the big dogs are lined up at the door as that arrogant AD proclaims. I'm sure a ton gave him the middle finger simply because they know it's not going to last long once ou is no longer the big dog and they'll have to play 2nd fiddle to Bama and UGA for the foreseeable future. Now you throw Kelly in the mix... How long are ou boosters going to be happy with 8-4 or 9-3 seasons.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's exactly what they signed-up for...

Dec 3, 2021, 12:00 PM

8-4 or 9-3 seasons in exchange for a bigger pay day.

Take you money and your Citrus, Outback or Gator Bowl invite, go sit in the corner, and pull for Alabama in the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Great news if Shane Beamer really took his name off the list (which we should highly doubt especially given the “sources”).

That means he doesn’t care the first thing about winning.

Well...in fairness...

Dec 3, 2021, 1:10 PM

Beamer knows uof7c is a perennial doormat and bottom feeder so expectations really aren't all that high.

That's certainly not the case at OU.

He can win 7 or 8 games a year at uof7c and he'll be the greatest coach in program history. Those same results would get him fired at OU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

I don't know how many big dogs are lined up at the door. But, it seems to me to think that there is at least one.

Dec 3, 2021, 1:27 PM

Matt Campbell is reportedly out. Matt Connolly said he hadn't heard anything about Campbell in the mix, so that makes sense here

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1466830603949686790

Dec 3, 2021, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Yeah, I could have added him and Mel Tucker.

Agreed, Oklahoma doesn't want him.***

Dec 3, 2021, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Dec 3, 2021, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Really sticking your neck out there dawg.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:34 AM

I disagree. Why would Coach V be recruiting last week? Knowing his character,
I can't see him telling a recruit to come to Clemson if he won't be there.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 10:37 AM

Because Clemson is his employer, and I'm sure any communications he's had with Oklahoma have been relayed to Dabo. If Dabo didn't trust Brent, he wouldn't have him on the road talking to 2023 prospects and giving them offers.

Right now, Brent works for Clemson, so he's going to do his job because he has integrity, unlike the OU guys who were recruiting for USC knowing what was coming months down the line.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:38 AM

Exactly.

In addition, Dabo and staff don't sell themselves per se to recruits. They sell Clemson, culture, and opportunities.

While that is somewhat true…

Dec 3, 2021, 1:09 PM

Dabo and staff are the heart of this culture. A new HC may not have the same approach. So they are selling themselves as much as selling Clemson.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

I don't understand this line of thinking.

If what you believe to be Venables' character is true, then he will continue to do his job at Clemson to the best of his ability until he has a different job.

Because he hasn't taken the job yet and there's no

Dec 3, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

guarantee he will get the job.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Well the other option would be for him to sit at home and get paid to do nothing, which would do nothing other than hurt recruiting and make the background noise even worse.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

kpttiger said:

I disagree. Why would Coach V be recruiting last week? Knowing his character,
I can't see him telling a recruit to come to Clemson if he won't be there.

What else is he supposed to do this week? Let’s say he interviewed on Sunday. OU says thanks, we will let you know after we’re done interviewing after championship weekend. He says ok, I don’t have a new job and I may not be offered, so it’s time to go back to recruiting with Dabo.

That isn't a character issue.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

It says Clemson on the LOI not Brent Venables.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

If someone talks to you about another job you don’t resign or stop working for your current employer. BV is not going to stop recruiting until he has been offered a job and excepted. As long as he is not telling recruits that he is not going to leave he is not being dishonest.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:59 PM

A lot of folks seem to be missing this point. Not sure what people do for a living, but you keep your head down and stay working till you leave. BV is probably waiting to hear on this.

Dec 3, 2021, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Here is the difference:

If Brent knew he was going to be at OU and they were just waiting until the wekend to announce it, I don't think he would be recruiting. If he is their bird in hand, then all he knows is he MIGHT be their coach but might not, and he would still be recruiting - telling recruits exactly what Sabb said he told him.

And, whatever his status is with OU and am absolutely convinced that Dabo is well aware of it and will be the very first person Brent tells when the situation changes, in any way.

Dec 3, 2021, 10:35 AM

Makes sense.

I read something on an insider board last night that indicated Venables has at least had a Zoom with OU's leadership. Not much beyond that was confirmed, but it seems that Brent would accept the job if offered.

Many reporters have said it's everything from imminent to waiting until next week. If they know Brent wants it, they could be slow playing it to leave no stone unturned, which is a good way to approach it, because you never know. If Cincinnati loses Saturday, Fickell may decide it's time to move on because there's nothing else he can do.

I've come to terms with Venables being gone in a few days, and if he stays, that's like two cherries on your sundae.

Reasonable post

Dec 3, 2021, 10:37 AM

I have 0 faith in any OU board at this point based on how jumpy they've been to get reports out there (including Dabo lol).

But IMO BV would accept the job if he was offered. It has been reported several places that this is a job he really wants, some have even said he's called it his dream job. Sounded like Campbell has already interviewed or would be doing so shortly.

If Fickell (the largest elephant out there) was for sure not interested, I think they would have announced a move by now. Lanning has the advantage of already recruiting in the SEC plus being a hot name.

It is a big enough job that I think one of Fickell/Campbell/Lanning will accept it. It just depends on where BV falls on the list. My suspicion is he's at best 3rd behind 2 of the names above.

Re: Reasonable post

Dec 3, 2021, 1:01 PM

Their jumpy bc al lot of their 22 & 23 commits, and current star players are leaving.. That's why the fans are freaking out and screaming for OU to hire someone to stop the exodus.

Nailed it with the first word of your post

Dec 3, 2021, 10:41 AM

"Speculation"

So far, every one of those OU posters claiming insider knowledge, with sources in the media, athletic department, trustees, players, donors, and even the police department... have been utterly full of s**t

They see some obscure tweet or post, or just make up obscure crap in their own heads, and spew it out there in hopes they're right so they can feel important.

Let them have their fun, I guess. There's not much else to do in Oklahoma.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 10:42 AM

I wonder if anyone from the present staff is a candidate or is he taking most of the most seasoned ones to Sou Cal

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 10:44 AM

Since I don't know who could be on their list I can add some to the list of who won't be the next coach at Oklahoma!
1) Jimmy Johnson
2) John Gruden(He would be the Home run)
3) Jim Harbaugh
4) John Harbaugh
5) Barry Switzer
6) Mike Gundy
7? Dan Mullen
8) Lou Holtz

Brent Veneables may be the next HC at Oklahome, but I don't think so. His comment last season about not messing with happy when family is happy and content rings more true today than ever. The coaching world is so frigging fickle and no one is really safe from the "I want it now" mentality. So the stability, sense of family, sense of home, and being paid like a head coach without all the other crap that gores with it, leads me to believe he will stay at CLEMSON! He has built a defensive juggernaut and he is in total control of it, I believe he gets a raise and stays, he deserves both!

Dec 3, 2021, 10:48 AM

I think Oklahoma may be one of the exceptions to his comment of "not messing with happy".

His family has already been happy living in Norman and it's likely pretty easy to convince himself and his family that it will be a happy place to live once again.

Dec 3, 2021, 4:53 PM

I think him and his family are more happy here than in OK. I think he has moved most of his family here

You forgot Bill Cowher***

Dec 3, 2021, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

Dec 3, 2021, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Speculation from an OU board. ]

I SURE HOPE YOUR RIGHT and I think You ARE !

One thing we've all learned over the last few days...

Dec 3, 2021, 10:45 AM

is that OU fans appear to be just as ignorant and deluded as uof7c fans.

Re: One thing we've all learned over the last few days...

Dec 3, 2021, 11:09 AM

Well figured that out when when Clemson played them in the bowl in 14 and CFP in 15. Fans obnoxious as they come.

I have a co-worker who is an OU alum...

Dec 3, 2021, 11:20 AM

She was a cheerleader during her undergrad years.

Very attractive and super nice, but dumb as a box of blonde hair.

100% guarantee it won't be Shane Beamer

Dec 3, 2021, 11:20 AM

Even if he interviewed, he won't be the choice. I think we all know that.

Re: 100% guarantee it won't be Shane Beamer

Dec 3, 2021, 11:35 AM

Wrong, they wanted Shane. According to two big scar donors, Shane took himself out of the running.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:57 AM

I’ll call bs on that comment.

Dec 3, 2021, 12:36 PM

I also removed myself from the running despite several pleas from Joe C. & Big Game Bob

Dec 3, 2021, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: 100% guarantee it won't be Shane Beamer ]

Bull, they didn’t want Shane. If they did, he would be long gone.

Like I've said before, Venables could end all speculation

Dec 3, 2021, 12:21 PM

with a tweet or a press release, which would take 5 minutes tops. Personally, I think he would have already done this if he were not both interested and in the running for the OU job.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Like I've said before, Venables could end all speculation

Dec 3, 2021, 2:12 PM

Yeah, I agree with you. I really didn't think he'd take it, but the longer this drags out without him commenting the more I think he's still in play there. There really are only a few possible scenarios:
1. He's already interviewed and wants it, and now he's just waiting to see if he's selected.
2. He's already interviewed and doesn't want it, but the lack of any announcement makes this unlikely.
3. He hasn't interviewed yet.
4. He doesn't want to interview for it. Again the lack of any announcement makes this unlikely.

I don't see much upside for him if he does take it. Anything short of a playoff run is going to be seen as a failure and that's only going to get harder when they move to the SEC, especially with all the best recruits going to So Cal now. I wouldn't do it,... but $8-9M/yr would certainly make a person think twice.

Right. If he flat out wasn't interested, I think he'd come

Dec 3, 2021, 3:15 PM

out and say so, and put an end to all of the rumors.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

OK Brent, hang tight, we'll give you a call if the all the

Dec 3, 2021, 12:49 PM

guys we REALLY want say no

I know it is a dream job and potentially life changing money, but if it were me, I think I would be saying "if you want me, let's see the offer" I am accepting the job today or not at all."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK Brent, hang tight, we'll give you a call if the all the

Dec 3, 2021, 1:09 PM

Oklahoma has the leverage here, with more money and everything that comes with being handed the keys.

They very well could lose Brent's interest in the long run by letting the process play out, but I get the feeling they know he will take the job, even if he has to wait a week or two for it. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt them to get further intel on a couple more coaches.

From what I’ve seen over the past few days, their

Dec 3, 2021, 1:18 PM

speculation is even much worse than ours. They’ve already declared a hire would be announced at every presser and every sporting event, in addition to several other times throughout each day, since the coach left.

Dec 3, 2021, 1:33 PM

That may be the process OU is deploying, but BV has told people he is not going to OU.

Dec 3, 2021, 1:40 PM

I understand that process, but in my industry you never want to be the "bird in hand" and most people would walk away if they understood that to be the situation.

Not sure why anyone who isn't desperate would put themselves in that situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2021, 2:18 PM

They’ve hired a coordinator that’s currently in a CFP hunt and that doesn’t want that distraction…The writing is on the wall…why else are they allowing for this recruiting to crumble?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Venerables ain't going anywhere. Full stop.***

Dec 3, 2021, 4:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic