Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Realistic expectation for the last 8 games...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Realistic expectation for the last 8 games...

Feb 1, 2023, 11:28 AM

Looking ahead....

The goal is to finish in the top 4 of the ACC and give the best possible chance for success in the conference tournament. Along with that, winning enough games to secure a NCAA bid. I think these two things go hand in hand. Not going to get into the NET stuff...that's dead horse territory.

I expect that we could go 5-3 in our last 8 games, which would put us at 15-5 in the ACC. 23-8 overall prior to the tournament. I think it's realistic and would be a great accomplishment for this team. If we happen to exceed that, it would be incredible.

If you look at the standings, that would probably good enough for the top 4. That assumes that teams that currently have 4 losses will drop a couple and perhaps a team with 3 losses like Pitt will drop at least 3. Currently Pitt & UNC have 3 losses (they play tonight by the way). Duke, Miami & N.C. State have 4 losses. Among those teams, there are plenty of games where these teams play each other, guaranteeing losses along the way. UVA has 2 losses like us, but I'd be surprised if they lost more than 2 additional games. But I think 15-5 would guarantee top 4, without having to deal with tiebreakers, etc. If we slipped to 14-6, that would get dicey and potentially put us in tiebreaker scenarios.

I feel really good about our home games against Notre Dame, as well as our road game at Louisville.

I feel pretty good about our home games against Syracuse and FSU. FSU tends to present matchup problems for us, but I think we are just better at home.

The Miami game is a really important game. Could legitimately go either way. It's nice that we get a break after that...this team needs to get healthy. But this is the biggest home game left, for sure.

The road games at UNC, at NCSU, and at UVA are all pretty brutal. If we can get one of those, that would be great. Those teams don't lose at home very often. All three are playing good ball at the moment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It the team plays like it did last night...

Feb 1, 2023, 11:40 AM

there is NO WAY IN HE!! they go 5-3 over the last eight games.

The margin for error was already paper thin. Now it's virtually nonexistent. There are no more "get out of jail free" cards or mulligans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It the team plays like it did last night...

Feb 1, 2023, 11:45 AM

If the team plays like it did last night, they won't go 3-5, much less 5-3.

However, the team has played like it did last night only two other times out of the previous 23 games. I am hoping they return to form on Saturday and play like we all know they are capable of playing.

I agree that we cannot afford another performance like that.

I'm assuming last night was an aberration for a few reasons.

Feb 1, 2023, 11:54 AM [ in reply to It the team plays like it did last night... ]

Reasons:

- Earl Grant seems to have some sort of former assistant mojo working against Brownell.
- Missing Galloway is a big deal. Hemenway is not magically going to be a big factor after missing several games. We really didn't get any type of scoring from the 2 guard spot.
- People can downplay it all they want...but the "back-to-back" road game thing, regardless of where it is...tends to lead to road teams not playing as well. Check the other ACC teams' road records...the only teams above .500 on the road are UVA, Clemson and Pitt. Everyone else is .500 or below (mostly below)

We definitely need to play better. I do think we need a fully healthy team for this stretch run...missing Chase Hunter for a few games, now Galloway for a couple of games...has been difficult...the VT & FSU games could have easily gone the other way.

5-3 finish assumes a healthy team with all hands on deck.

I don't think anyone expected Clemson to go 9-0...

Feb 1, 2023, 12:00 PM

in the last nine games.

I do think a realistic expectation was 5-4, but no one expected one of the four losses to be a sub .500 Quad 3 BC team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I tend to think that we will play "above" ourselves.....

Feb 1, 2023, 12:08 PM

at some point....and take at least one of the games against Miami, UNC, NCSU & UVA.

I think with Miami at home....that seems the most likely.

I know better than to expect a victory on Tobacco Road. Ever.
It will be interesting going to Chapel Hill off of a BYE...for the first time since we broke the streak...first time playing there without the monkey on our back. That will be different.

But on the road at UNC & N.C. State.... you can already anticipate the foul differential.

UVA likely dismisses us at their place. They likely are securing first place by that time.

The real key is winning the winnable home games left...and taking care of business at Louisville.

4-4 or 5-3 I would guess.***

Feb 1, 2023, 12:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...could definitely see either one of those....

Feb 1, 2023, 12:35 PM

I would be surprised at 6-2 (in a good way) and at 3-5 (in a bad way).
If healthy, this team is capable of 5-3...which would be a really good finish, all things considered.
4-4 would still be good overall (14-6 is a good conference record)...but that would likely have us in bubble territory and likely in a "must win" situation with at least one game of the conference tournament.

Re: Realistic expectation for the last 8 games...

Feb 1, 2023, 12:13 PM

If we do finish 15-5 we will be in the Top 4 because of the other teams will hopefully beat up on each other. We need a win Saturday to make that happen.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic