Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pitchers to trust in postseason (thoughts/feelings?)
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1256

Pitchers to trust in postseason (thoughts/feelings?)

May 25, 2024, 7:39 AM

Knaak (Sat)
McGovern
Gordon
Titsworth
Smith (Fri)
Garris
Barlow (Sun?)
Mahlstedt
Darden
Marchal

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fitzgerald has pitched well in the appearances hes had

May 25, 2024, 8:03 AM

I think Barlow’s better than he showed yesterday

Darden has been either on or off, but when he’s on he’s on

I think Clayton can give us some good innings in relief, but like Darden he’s very hot and cold

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fitzgerald has pitched well in the appearances hes had

May 25, 2024, 8:12 AM

Clayton shouldn’t seen any meaningful work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pitchers to trust in postseason (thoughts/feelings?)

May 25, 2024, 8:38 AM

I have lower faith than most, probably. Knaack is the only legit post season starter. Gordon has moments of brilliance. Most others throw balls, base hits, and home runs. I don’t know who we run out after Knaack. McGovern seems to be developing and is a great situational left vs left pitcher. Playing from behind in post season rarely works out. I believe we do not win our first regional since 2010. I pray we make it to Omaha. I just wouldn’t bet the farm.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2024, 8:43 AM

How a pitcher throws today has nothing to do with how he will throw tomorrow. For me, our defense has to have a great weekend for us to advance. Every team gives up hits but good teams do not give up unearned runs because they will kill you.

May 25, 2024, 8:56 AM

I agree to some extent. How many super regional games end 1-0? More than regular season for sure. However, stats are popular for a reason. You can show strong evidence for how someone or something will perform based on history. Sure, everyone has that day where they can’t be touched. I’d call those outliers. Perhaps ERA, strike-out to walks, and WHIP should be median scores to remove those outliers. That would give a better predictive model. The one commonality of CWS champions is great and deep pitching. We’re deep we just don’t have shut down pitchers who are very reliable. We shall see. I hope and pray we survive and advance. Historically the numbers aren’t on our side.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2024, 1:20 PM

Not sure. I actually think a bigger issue is unforced errors and unearned runs. If we are hitting, even pretty good, we have a good chance in any game. I do feel like the pitching is relatively similar to last year, with Grice being the guy and not sure after that, but overall I think we are better because of hitting. Grice and Amick seemed to be the two main hitters, with Cam coming out of nowhere to help. This year I think almost anybody has a chance to hit a ball out or better chance at a hit. I'm not sure on team obp, or batting average compared to last year, just felt like last year we weren't as consistently talented across the board. This year I feel it's way more balanced. But we will absolutely have to have bats....

May 28, 2024, 3:37 PM

I don't have a good answer on the "who" but I just have a feeling that our guys are going to play well and do well in the regional. It feels to me like this may be the year we go further. I'm not adding any supportive analysis, just a gut call...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2024, 7:06 AM

I am thinking we start Darden with a very short leash on Friday.
Save Freshman ace for Saturday night game and then have plenty to win on Sunday.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2024, 8:23 PM

Point 1: Whoever goes out for us on Friday better be on a short leash.
Point 2: Regardless of who goes out first or second or even 3rd, we cannot put the first batters on base to be turned into unearned runs like we have been seeing the last 3 or 4 weeks. That will be a failure and the pitchers need to be evaluated before they go out to make sure they have some level of control because lately no one seems to have any confidence or control. I would bet that over the last 3 weeks we lead the league (ACC) in home runs given up in the first 4 innings. I cannot believe that we get Vandy again!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1256
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic