Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One thing is ABUNDANTLY clear today. The world of college
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

One thing is ABUNDANTLY clear today. The world of college

Nov 30, 2021, 7:37 AM

football is changed forever. Lincoln Riley to USC was the Mega-Earthquake, and if that wasn't enough, Brian Kelly to LSU is the Tsunami that followed it. Never, evermore will anyone just be able to assume that because their head coach has been there awhile, and has been successful, he cannot be poached by another job.

Kelly leaving the Irish is even more earth shaking than Riley's move. He had weathered all the initial criticism at ND, won at a high level, and had just become the ALL TIME winningest coach there, surpassing some guy named Rockne. Recruting the best he ever had. But still, he bolts.

I have to say, his move is a lot gutsier than Riley's. Riley jumped OUT of the pressure cooker, and Kelly just jumped IN with both feet, and screwed the lid on tight. There ain't no place outside of Alabama in the SEC that wants AND EXPECTS to win big more than LSU. Kelly will not be given any grace period, he will be expected to right this ship immediately.

What does all this mean for Clemson University? Well, for one, it means Brent Venables will be gone sooner than later, if he ever does in fact want to be a head coach. I don't see how a much better job than Oklahoma could ever come open. If he is offered it, and doesn't take it, you could assume he is content to stay a DC for the rest of his time coaching, like Mickey Andrews at FSU did with Bobby Bowden.

But, in the light of TODAY, here's the thing. No guarantee that Dabo Swinney does not make a move to another school, either. If these two recent moves have taught us anything, it is that coaches have a different mindset now. And, more importantly, opposing AD's have a different mindset. They don't consider ANYONE off limits for their job search.

It's time to guard the House here at Clemson. BAMA may not be the only school casting their lure in our direction looking to snag Coaches away.

One thing for sure. When kickoff time comes next season, college football is looking at a new dawn unlike any one they have ever seen. Because the Coaching Carousel is still spinning at a ridiculous speed right now. Who knows what the total changes will be?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with a lot of what you said

Nov 30, 2021, 7:44 AM

but I don't see Dabo leaving. Ever.

Unlike the other coaches you mentioned, he built what we have at Clemson. And I think he is the kind of guy that wants to protect and keep building on what he has already done. Clemson is his legacy. I think he retires here.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing doesn’t translate to another.

Nov 30, 2021, 7:44 AM

Your assertion assumes that BV is motivated by the same things as Lincoln and Kelly. I see no similarities between those two and Brent.

I see two men that are “All In” for themselves. especially by today’s standards. I see none of that in Brent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I certainly do not think Brent Venables is motivated by the

Nov 30, 2021, 7:55 AM

same things as Kelly or Riley. BUT, it IS human nature to want to be successful at your job at the highest levels, if you are in a competitive job like college football coaching.

His Clemson experience has made this a much tougher decision for Coach Venables than anyone outside the program could realize. His family values align EXACTLY with those of Dabo Swinney. He knows he has earned tenure here that will last as long as Dabo is here, and maybe even beyond. His family has grown up here, played football here, had maximum success possible as an assistant coach here.

So, he will have to weigh all that against the desire to know if he would be a successful head coach. None of us can answer that question for him. The fact that he is still here after having been at least seriously interviewed for jobs several times in the recent past may give a clue. But again, these things are as much about timing as anything. To an outsider, we lose all the "super-senior" leadership on the defensive side of the ball after this year. Next year will again be a retooling year for us there. No doubts Coach Venables will get it done, if he still wants to.

All we can do is sit and watch, and applaud whatever decision he makes. He has more than earned that respect from us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I certainly do not think Brent Venables is motivated by the

Nov 30, 2021, 8:59 AM

^^^ THIS is so dead on. Brent Venables is the best DC in the game and he's seen firsthand what happens not just with Clemson coaches but the vast majority of Coordinators that become Head Coaches.

Gone are the days when you could show "momentum" and schools would be loyal to you, and other programs wouldn't touch coaches that had a massive buyout. It's the wild wild west and any coach at a program with the perceived status of Oklahoma has 3 years max to make the playoff & show that they're consistently winning 10-11 games a year. They're not hiring someone to go 8-4 or 9-3 where they're in every single game they want to win National Championships and get back to the "glory day's of Sooner Football.

Blue Blood Brand, Massive Boosters, I get all of that but whoever takes this job is going to be on a Massive Hot Seat Day 1. In the era of NIL and the transfer portal you're going to have a massive exodus of players/recruits this year. Think back to Brent Venables' 1st year as DC here, every single game we gave up 1-2 inexplicable TD's where guys were wide open by 15+ yards and barely in the screen. Combine that with creating a culture, building a staff, etc. and I realistically think that Oklahoma next year goes between 8-4 and 9-3 and misses the playoff again. Years 2-3 I think they're in the same boat, maybe going 10-2; close but no cigar unless they move to the SEC and when that happens I think they're in the same category as a Texas A&M, Auburn, etc. Go between 8-4 and 9-3 with the occasional year every ~5 years where everything aligns and they can fight for an SEC championship and a shot at the playoff. But as a program I don't realistically see BV being able to keep his job enough to get to that point.

We're a perfect example if for whatever reason Dabo left and we promoted BV as our head coach and he went 9-3 to 10-2 the regular season over the next 3 years where we play in the ACC championship game 2/3 years and we win 1 with no playoff appearances would we keep him around or would be firing and hiring a new coach?

I say all of that to say this the one person the entire Clemson staff should be recruiting is BV. He an his agent should leverage this to get the stability and pay raise that he absolutely deserves and give use this as a way to never have to worry about DC for the rest of this decade. Dabo, Clements, D Rad, Board of Trustees, etc. all of them should be going to him and locking him down.

If the new norm for HC is $15M/yr at LSU then split that between Dabo, BV, and a small bonus for the rest of the staff.

Dabo: $9.3M/yr over 10 years
BV: Raise him to $4.7M/yr over 10 years
- Fully guaranteed any other school pays full remainder of contract in the buyout

Remaining $1M: Raises for the remainder of staff

If you're Clemson you're getting the equivalent of 2 HC's for the price of 1 now. You have the stability that you want on that side of the ball for the next decade. You have a decade now to groom his replacement. If you're BV you get the bag you deserve you set the market for DC's and you know that with the current administration/Dabo you're going to consistently win. And if you're Dabo you're getting the stability on staff that you want and can employ the internal Clemson man strategy and give Clemson players opportunity to become coaches. Please make it happen BV is the biggest recruit we can sign this year and beyond!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 2:02 PM

I totally agree. We need to be recruiting Brent. Make it worth his while to stay.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 2:20 PM [ in reply to I certainly do not think Brent Venables is motivated by the ]

Wish I had more TU's to offer that post. Spot on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing is ABUNDANTLY clear today. The world of college

Nov 30, 2021, 7:49 AM

Kelly may believe that trying to win a National Title at LSU is an easier task than at ND. I assume he wants that before he hangs his whistle up.

Nov 30, 2021, 7:49 AM

Maybe it’s just me but I fail to see how someone leaving Oklahoma for LA and someone leaving Indiana for tons more money and freedom wasn’t a no brainer. And certainly not a big deal as people are trying to make it

I’m more shocked LSU wanted Kelly.

Hey 76er & CUD92..

Nov 30, 2021, 11:45 AM

Super posts, thoughts and reasoning!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 1:56 PM

While pure speculation, Kelly knows he likely won't win a Natty at ND as they won't join a conference for football... so they will never win a Conference Championship ... CFP chances are low after their 0-3 run

LSU on the other hand opened up the checkbook...

I don't think he will be as successful in Baton Rouge as the bayou mafia think, he is going to have to revamp an entire culture and recruit in the expanded SEC footprint...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 2:37 PM

But how is this any different than Jimbo running away from FSU to TAM? I mean Jimbo left a program with a recent title for one that has not had one in a lifetime. Even then, Urban's move from UF to OSU was just "slower" too but also kinda the same. Bear Bryant's move(s)? Heisman?

It use to be coaches could land one large program and stick but it is not always the case. Coaches moved around. You just now have more fluidity but not a guarantee of fluidity. Those that change football are the longer-termers, semi-unknowns that become icons of a program. But I guess you are not alway going to have the Snyders anymore...maybe.

Nov 30, 2021, 2:46 PM

One thing BV knows, that Oklahoma Job or any other one he wants in the country are his when he wants it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 4:02 PM

better job than Oklahoma

76er® you nailed it with that. BV may not want to be a head coach this year as he has a good life at Clemson and a boy on the team. His family has been part of Clemson longer than most who post here.

.... but this would be a "come home to mama" type opportunity for him that may not appear again.

No matter his decision, all here (with a brain) wish him the best.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Nov 30, 2021, 4:26 PM

Dabo works at Clemson. I don't see any reason Alabama would even want him. They would likely get a proven pro style coach. Dabo is the total opposite of that. Dabo is a manager, pr guy, recruiter, hype man.

Nov 30, 2021, 4:59 PM

It's been heading in that direction for some time. But, got its big boost when Oklahoma and Texas bolted to the SEC without a care for the Big 12. The landscape has changed forever, for sure. I hate it! I hate that big money and power spoils everything these days.

The NFL needs to pay for minor league teams and stop the bleeding of colleges and universities. College sports need to go back to emphasizing the "student" in student-athlete. Do I have any hope that will happen? No, I do not.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic