Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1985 Clemson- 21 Duke- 9
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 555

On This Date: 1985 Clemson- 21 Duke- 9

Oct 19, 2021, 8:39 AM

(fun fact: Tommy Bowden was Duke's Offensive Coordinator)

10/19/1985
Durham, NC

Clemson Whips Duke, 21-9
The Gaffney Ledger

About five minutes before Clemson took the field against Duke, Kenny Flowers found out he would be starting for the Tigers. It took him less than five minutes to shred the Blue Devils' defense in a 21-9 ACC football victory.

Flowers rushed for 121 yards on 16 carriers and two long distance touchdowns and Terrence Flagler added a 27-yard scoring run as the Tigers whipped Duke for the firth straight time.

Flowers replaced Stacey Driver, who had suffered an elbow injury in practice Wednesday.

"I guess the coaches think we can run the ball well against Duke" Flowers said. "They give me the ball a lot against Duke ever year. I am glad to see they have confidence in me."

Coach Danny Ford said Clemson's offensive line gave Flowers a chance to run, but it was Duke's offense that gave him trouble. "Duke always makes it tough for us" Ford said. This is a tough place to play and win a ball game."

Duke Head Coach Steve Sloan thought his team had a chance to win, but early turnovers helped Clemson take an early lead which the Blue Devils could not overcome.

"I'm beginning to feel like i'm doing a poor job coaching because we made so many little errors" Sloan said. "We used to be very good in not making many errors. Now we have a pretty good team, but we made a lot of errors and that's poor coaching on my part."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 0
| visibility 555
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic