Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm not a Dr, but was is a smart move medically speaking to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

I'm not a Dr, but was is a smart move medically speaking to

Nov 8, 2021, 8:40 AM

shoot up Cunningham's ankle? He could barely walk on it. Get's help to get to the locker room. Then trots back onto the field like nothing happened...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not a Dr, but was is a smart move medically speaking to

Nov 8, 2021, 8:42 AM

Happens all the time. I’m sure they wouldn’t run him back out there if he could injure it even more. Kinda the same situation as DW4 in 2014.

It does happen a lot, especially with sprained ankles, it

Nov 8, 2021, 8:46 AM

seems. But, I surely wouldn't want to be Cunningham for the next couple of weeks. That thing has got to be throbbing like a toothache. I only ever had one severely sprained ankle in my whole life, I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone. And, it swelled up just like it had the broke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It does happen a lot, especially with sprained ankles, it

Nov 8, 2021, 8:54 AM

For sure! I had a grade 3 sprained ankle in high school from playing a pick up bball game after school. I went up for a rebound and came down on my coaches foot, rolling my ankle. A janitor across the gym said she heard it pop. It swoll up like a softball within a minute or two. The pain was insane.

I couldn’t imagine going back into a football game with that injury, although Cunningham’s probably wasn’t as bad. But major props to that kids toughness. He made it look easy.

Same

Nov 8, 2021, 10:36 AM

except mine was a grade 2. I was told grade 3 would mean a complete tear in a ligament which required surgery. Either way...

I came down on the back of a guys shoe, rolled my ankle, then my foot hit the floor and continued to roll over.

The "POP" was loud. The whole Gym (3 classes, so about 75-90 kids) stopped when they heard it.

I hit the deck and bounced right back up, grabbing my right ankle, jumping up and down on my good foot yelling "I broke it, I broke it".

Thankfully we had a really good Athletic trainer at our High school and he got to school about 15 minutes later. When he placed those two bags of ice on either side, and wrapped it tight (and then I laid on the table with my foot up in the air against the wall that was some of the craziest pain I ever felt for about 5-10 minutes.

I was on crutches for 5 weeks and couldn't run 2 months.

Crazy thing is, I broke the same ankle back in 2010. I rolled it so hard the tendon pulled the bone hard enough the tibia broke. That hurt pretty good, but maybe not quite as bad as the bad sprain. I was back running within 6 weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Same

Nov 8, 2021, 3:21 PM

Our school trainer could have been wrong about it being a grade 3, because I didn’t need surgery. He did say it probably would have been better if I went ahead and broke it, as the rehab was harder and longer with the sprain I had. I was on crutches for almost 2 months.

I sprained mine by jumping out of a low tree about 8 feet

Nov 11, 2021, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Same ]

off the ground, onto what looked to be a nice bed of blown over staw. WRONG! It was blown over a downed tree limb about the size of a softball, that my ankle landed sideways on.

I said "Oh Gee, that was not the landing I planned oOOOHHHHHHSSSSHHHHEEEEEEAAAATTTTTTT that hurts!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It does happen a lot, especially with sprained ankles, it

Nov 8, 2021, 9:00 AM [ in reply to It does happen a lot, especially with sprained ankles, it ]

I sprained mine severely quite a few times playing basketball over the years. When I was his age I could just keep playing and it didn’t really hurt until you stopped then it really stiffened up and bruised the whole ankle and foot. I learned once I got it loosened up I could play again even though it hadn’t had time to heal. I did that many times and now as I’m nearing 60 I’m paying for it. It’s the cumulative damage that gets you later.

It happened to me in high school and college...

Nov 8, 2021, 9:31 AM [ in reply to It does happen a lot, especially with sprained ankles, it ]

Sustained a significant angle sprain playing soccer. At that age, you think you're 10 feet tall and bullet proof, you don't want to come out of the game, so you play through the pain.

While Cortisone injections are an option, they are a temporary remedy but certainly not a fix, and it's not just the ankle. Trying to adjust your walk or play with a severe ankle sprain to minimize the pain affects not only the ankle, it impacts the knee, the foot, the hip, and the low back.

I can also tell you from direct first hand experience, the problem doesn't get better or improve with age. The risk is ongoing chronic ankle instability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

He definitely was a step or two slower when he came back

Nov 8, 2021, 8:56 AM

Also couldn’t cut sharply.

Before he was hurt, he was pretty much owning our defense.

Looked like Lamar Jackson 2.0 ...

Still, no sympathy. We know a thing or two about injuries to key players in 2021.

Re: He definitely was a step or two slower when he came back

Nov 8, 2021, 9:31 AM

If you ever been taped up inside and outside the shoe by a good trainer your ankle will not move and as long as the pain is only in lateral movement and not up and down pressure you can move at about 80% max. Probably why he slipped at the end because could not fully cut due to his ankle being heavily taped.

Re: I'm not a Dr, but was is a smart move medically speaking to

Nov 8, 2021, 8:56 PM

Hey look, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express 7 or 8 years ago, and my opinion I that it was no less a smart move than putting DJU back in the game with a knee brace on or putting Shipley back in with an aching hamstring. I did a detailed analysis of these 3 injuries. Does anyone have more up to date HIE analysis than I have.

As long as he's been vaxed...

Nov 12, 2021, 5:02 AM

They can hit him with a syringe full of black tar H directly into his heart in between snaps and it's all good-

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic