Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honor and Remembrance this Memorial Day
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 4
| visibility 402

Honor and Remembrance this Memorial Day

May 27, 2024, 7:04 AM

Thanks for the service and sacrifice for this nation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I try to save a life a day, usually it is my own.

Re: Honor and Remembrance this Memorial Day

May 27, 2024, 8:04 AM

Just posted this on Clover's thread but my story to become a Clemson fan tied to military and moving to SC.

My father was in the Army. He had served almost 3yrs, we had gone from Colorado, to Texas where he got accepted into helicopter school. We moved from Texas to Fort Wainwright, Alaska where the Army had joint training with Eielson Air Force Base just outside of Fairbanks Ak. My dad was in heavy field trials where they had an accident and he mangled his leg and was in the hospital for over 6mos. He never achieved his dreams of being a helicopter pilot. After he healed, they moved us to Fort Bragg where his training scores moved him to a computer operator position that he hated. They were running and creating punch cards of classified info to ship worldwide.

Office work was not my dad's style so he took a lateral to a supply chief but he lost his infatuation with the Army. They wanted him to move us to Seoul to help supply South Vietnam with their recovery. This was around 1978, while the war was basically done, he did not want to bring his family to this area after the Korean War was not really finished any better than the Vietnam war. My father decided to wrap up his military career in Fort Bragg which is how he discovered Santee Lakes, great fishing and we moved to SC.

That is how I learned that Coots were dumb fans, I hated the Black Magic era and not long after was the revenge of 1981. I became a Clemson fan, a Clemson Grad several yrs later and my dad is still a disabled vet today!

This is how we found SC and I found Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kids today will never be able to wrap their heads around the facts of keypunch

May 27, 2024, 8:10 AM

computer cards, or the fact that "Keypunch Operator" was an actual career option for awhile.

I was kind of like that with the fact that "Textile Engineering" was still a major, although on its way out the door, when I matriculated at Clemson in the fall of 1972. Sirrine Hall was just a big old square shaped gloomy building. One of the few that I never set foot in, the entire four plus years that I was there. Now, Earle H.ell, on the other hand.....

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kids today will never be able to wrap their heads around the facts of keypunch

May 27, 2024, 8:21 AM

Punch cards are not even likely conceivable by most people today. I remember going into my dads office in Fort Bragg and it was literally a room probably 40'x 60' full of computer hardware just to read these thousands of cards or to punch new cards. Our cell phones today would
have thousands or millions of times more memory power than these huge rooms of computers. I remember as a youngin, they had to keep these rooms cold to help protect the tubes and equipment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, the computer room at Clemson where we congregated in my last couple of

May 28, 2024, 8:18 AM

years to play a rudimentary "Star Trek" computer game (not much more sophisticated than Asteroids, or Pong), was always kept in the 60s. Brr, and beware of the Cloaking Devices if you landed in the wrong quadrant!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 402
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next