Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey Bourbon guys. Hit the trifecta in Asheville today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Hey Bourbon guys. Hit the trifecta in Asheville today

Mar 21, 2023, 5:32 PM

Just stopped in the ABC for grins, rarely find anything. Today was a little different!

Employee said I have some in back I was gonna get rid of today. Lucky me!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Hey Bourbon guys. Hit the trifecta in Asheville today

Mar 21, 2023, 5:34 PM

Not even going to ask what that set you back. Enjoy!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Mar 21, 2023, 5:36 PM

I can send you my shipping address at your leisure

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must be out of town, lol.***

Mar 21, 2023, 5:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice catch

Mar 21, 2023, 5:45 PM

Not always easy to find these bottles.

Hopefully you didn't pay too much over $80.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice catch

Mar 21, 2023, 7:09 PM

NC is regulated so shouldn’t be that bad

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What letters? I see an N

Mar 21, 2023, 5:49 PM

I need both Ns and the S to have a complete set. Got lucky and the first five I bought over the years were different letters. Not so lucky this year.

If over 21, click below
https://www.warehouseh.info/stoppers

Message was edited by: arlingtonVA®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What letters? I see an N

Mar 21, 2023, 6:32 PM

Was just about to post there is a secondary market for stoppers. And people will pay outrageous amounts for specific bottling dates.

Mar 21, 2023, 5:53 PM

There’s a store here in Suwanee, GA that will get a box every other month or so and sell for $65, one bottle per customer. And yes I could just go out and come back to a different register but since I need no introduction, I play by the rules

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VA ABC controls the "legal" sale. TLDR

Mar 21, 2023, 8:57 PM

In Virginia, the ABC stores rule. AFAIK. I am sure there are other avenues available. I have not pursued those options.

When I firsted headed down the bourbon trail, I could walk into the ABC and get Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. More than one bottle. To my unsophisticated palate, they were great value. High $20s or low $30s for 750 ml bottle. Could easily spend twice as much or more for stuff I did not like any better. Remember, unsophisticated.

I was not alone. It reached a point where these items could not be found. If you did, you could only buy one bottle a day. You learned which days the local ABC stores got their weekly shipments to improve your odds.

Eventually VA ABC started sending out emails to announce when specific stores had "limited drops" available for purchase. If you got there within five minutes, you might have a shot (we are densely populated and lots of teleworkers nowadays). One bottle only. They could have 10 brands, but you could only get one. Fortunately for me, I can get to two ABCs in five minutes. You don't know what they have until you walk in the door. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are common. Blantons appears on occasion. I did get Elijah Craig 18 year one time and a single barrel EH Taylor recently.

VA ABC also has occasional lotteries for the "privilege" of buying some limited releases. If you win, you pay retail. No secondary market markup. I finally "won" this month. For a few pennies short of $90 (plus tx) I got the Van Winkle 12 Year Special Reserve (pic attached). The 23 year is in the next lottery. If I don't win, I save well over $300.

Has Buffalo Trace cornered the bourbon market?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VA ABC controls the "legal" sale. TLDR

Mar 21, 2023, 10:32 PM

Congrats on the Van Winkle.

My first experience with Buffalo Trace was sometime between 2015 and 2017 at the recommendation of a VA ABC store employee. In fact, I had never even heard of it until then. I knew little about bourbon.

I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare that day. I opened the Eagle Rare, and mixed it with cola or ginger ale, as I always did with bourbon. The Buffalo Trace set unopened for several months. At some point, I opened it and mixed it with cola or ginger ale.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would have bought much cheaper bourbon to mix with soda and make cocktails. I now have a 1.75L bottle of Eagle Rare that I bought after a VA ABC store drop. I've passed on buying Buffalo Trace at least five times and Eagle Rare several times in the last few months.

At this point, the only reason I am looking out for E.H. Taylor or Blanton's is for a close friend. For myself, I have been looking into good, not-hyped-up alternative bourbons that I can find fairly easily in Virginia, or when I travel.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Mar 22, 2023, 6:07 AM [ in reply to VA ABC controls the "legal" sale. TLDR ]

In Virginia, the ABC stores rule. AFAIK. I am sure there are other avenues available. I have not pursued those options.

When I firsted headed down the bourbon trail, I could walk into the ABC and get Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. More than one bottle. To my unsophisticated palate, they were great value. High $20s or low $30s for 750 ml bottle. Could easily spend twice as much or more for stuff I did not like any better. Remember, unsophisticated.

I was not alone. It reached a point where these items could not be found. If you did, you could only buy one bottle a day. You learned which days the local ABC stores got their weekly shipments to improve your odds.

Eventually VA ABC started sending out emails to announce when specific stores had "limited drops" available for purchase. If you got there within five minutes, you might have a shot (we are densely populated and lots of teleworkers nowadays). One bottle only. They could have 10 brands, but you could only get one. Fortunately for me, I can get to two ABCs in five minutes. You don't know what they have until you walk in the door. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are common. Blantons appears on occasion. I did get Elijah Craig 18 year one time and a single barrel EH Taylor recently.

VA ABC also has occasional lotteries for the "privilege" of buying some limited releases. If you win, you pay retail. No secondary market markup. I finally "won" this month. For a few pennies short of $90 (plus tx) I got the Van Winkle 12 Year Special Reserve (pic attached). The 23 year is in the next lottery. If I don't win, I save well over $300.

Has Buffalo Trace cornered the bourbon market?

Seen BT has adds on the Yellowstone series. That in itself would definitely drive up sales.

MEG

Mar 22, 2023, 6:16 AM [ in reply to VA ABC controls the "legal" sale. TLDR ]

Have never even saw a bottle in any store, let alone held one. GREAT SCORE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Mar 21, 2023, 7:03 PM

Good for you. I passed on a bottle last October, and haven't seen a bottle in store since. At this point, if I did, I would be buying it for a friend to help keep his cabinet stocked.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Thanks for posting this

Mar 21, 2023, 7:40 PM

Friend!!!!! I’ve never seen a half gallon bottle. Do they have different stoppers?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for posting this

Mar 21, 2023, 9:10 PM

Here ya go =

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225482202980?hash=item347fc95f64:g:g34AAOSwtJ9kEeWo&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4O8ZyA3JVwmLC5e5BcqbfJ4ZnrI%2F8dRsrI91dhxgXyLpH8b8OwmiNdA1SI4TcLZwiyJkwrnJknZun5K1t7R9oLZLbgCZjrVB4gpyPae7qxLefZd%2B4S1Z0tp9ZtXvN2GB1eemmQeYkmN62PFuPsSLNC4LL9UsEMAgFZpMdl%2BosCX5KEcWkW96slhYlMtrSWLZehywgci6D%2F76w%2FXFXAS0t0Xb6Iv0pO1R%2F4KEBPhirNGDyUlTmw8Hn6NZ59dWm%2FhgXU4Gx%2Fj%2FrY%2Fy%2BzTjy71%2BSiZYqGJzBBKtA69TJL6V3yc2%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR96U1u3gYQ

the tug abides

Mar 21, 2023, 10:59 PM

You da man 2k! I am quite jealous 😉.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic