Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey, has anyone on the boreds had experience with a dealer purchased Extended
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 651

Hey, has anyone on the boreds had experience with a dealer purchased Extended

Mar 19, 2024, 8:01 AM

Service Contract? I bought what GM called a "Platinum Wrap" 6 year, 100,000 mile "bumper to bumper" one back in late 2020 when we purchased our new GMC Acadia from Love Buick GMC in Cootlumbia. That contract cost almost $2,900, and I have never had to use it before now. The SUV has developed several glitches, and we are taking it in tomorrow to leave it with them. There is SUPPOSED to only be a $100 deductible charge per visit, so we shall see what actually befalls us. What SHOULD happen is that it only costs that $100 to fix all the niggling little problems that have developed. Why do I get the feeling that is not what is REALLY going to happen?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, has anyone on the boreds had experience with a dealer purchased Extended

Mar 19, 2024, 8:10 AM

I was told by a dealer I worked for and several others never to purchase those warranties. Many times you don't even end up using them or you would just save money by paying for repairs out of pocket that ended up being less than the warranty.

If there is something major with your car you may have lucked out with that purchase though. I would imagine the $100 is max out of pocket per incident.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, has anyone on the boreds had experience with a dealer purchased Extended

Mar 19, 2024, 8:29 AM

The things that are wrong are not really major, except that several issues WILL require parts, and one, at least, will require a good bit of labor.

1) Inductive phone charger not working. Per my research, this is a common problem, the module goes bad.

2) Front grille mounted camera not working at all. Looking out on the net, the cameras are not that terribly expensive, but the bumper has to be taken off to replace it.

3) Rear backup camera works intermittently. There was actually a recall on this, and the recall work has already been completed. But, the camera was working intermittently BEFORE the recall, which replaced all the cabling going to it, and it is STILL just working intermittently now.

4) "Service Driver Assist" message pops up on the DIC every time you start the vehicle. This concerns two vibrating sensors under the front drivers seat which shake the seat if you get too close to a curb, or to the car in front of you. Only one of ours is still working, hence the message.

5) The last one is the most troubling. The temperature gauge also only works intermittently. And when it DOES work, it does not go to half the scale like it used to. It runs cooler, which is indicative of the thermostat being stuck open. Per research, the thermostat sticking open is another known issue with these vehicles. Changing it out is not a simple job due to its location, hidden below a bunch of other things on top of the engine. The fact that the temperature gauge itself works intermittently is a separate, but related issue. GM put in a safety feature that, if the temperature is not normal, the computer will not allow the A/C compressor to run, since this would put a greater load on the engine and exacerbate any overheating issues. So, when the gauge does not work on a hot day, my wife is NOT a happy camper, since the A/C only blows hot air.

As a very good mechanic in my own right in my day, the temperature gauge issue is troubling. Temperature sending units do not work intermittently, they either work, or they are dead. Now, it COULD be some sort of grounding / not grounding intermittent issue, which could also be the problem with the backup camera. But, the timing of it doesn't seem to lean in that direction. If it were an intermittent ground, you would think that hitting a quick pothole or bump could change its status, and that never happens. The other possibility is one you don't even want to think about, a defective computer brain module. It was THAT possibility, with all the electronic bells and whistles that this Denali version of the GMC Acadia has, that made me purchase the Extended Warranty to begin with. I normally would not have considered such a thing, but there was just too much electronic stuff that COULD go wrong on this vehicle, which, per the list, has already started happening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2024, 8:41 AM

Personally, I don't have any extended waranties. Anyway, there's not much regular service or maintenance you can get done at a dealer anymore that costs less than a $100 other than an oil change. If the warranty covers "parts an labor", you should start getting some of your $2900 back for nothing else but the labor.

If they start the shell game, try not to blow a gasket.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not buy the ice tea warranty

Mar 19, 2024, 8:47 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tr4JNR6uo

Re: Do not buy the ice tea warranty

Mar 19, 2024, 10:30 AM

You showed what I suspected..when you see actors and talk show
people backing something, stay away from it. Thank's Clemson80tiger.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2024, 9:04 AM

We quit dealing with warranty companies years ago , the hassle and hoops you have to jump through just for the customers claim to eventually be denied isn’t worth it. Car would sit for 2 or 3 week’s waiting on a rep from the warranty company to approve a $500 radiator job

Mar 19, 2024, 9:04 AM

We bought the dealer extended warranty with our Honda CRV that covers about everything for 10 years or 100K miles. We have 58K miles but we have never had to use the extended or manufactory warranty, but, servicing your vehicle the way that's it's supposed to be, that's almost as good as purchasing an extended warranty. Working as a dealership mechanic and driving tractor trailers is all I've ever done, just saying...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i had a 2010 Acadia.. until 2019. thing nickeled and dimed me to death

Mar 19, 2024, 9:37 AM

they will find a reason why this isn't GM's fault ... until the warranty is up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 8
| visibility 651
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic