Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College sports going the way of Olympic Sports.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,081

College sports going the way of Olympic Sports.

Jan 21, 2022, 6:48 PM

I remember back in the 60s when the Olympics was strictly for amateur athletes. The Soviet Union cheated tremendously, doing things like hockey with the "Red Army Team." East German swimmers were "amateurs" who were employed by the state.

Americans held out, but eventually started caving in. By the 80s the Olympic Committee let each sport govern itself. Track and field led the way. I went to the 1980 and 84 Olympic Trials. The athletes ran for Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Puma, etc.

College athletes will soon follow suit.

I can see the day coming when Duke basketball will be Duke/Adidas basketball. Alabama football will become Team Bama/Nike.

Etc.

Heck, I can see the day when an entire conference will be sponsored by a company. Nike Football presented by the SEC. Or ACC presented by Adidas.

Not much different than Bowl games. The only difference will be the sponsors of the bowl games pay the bowl games. The sponsors of the college will pay the players directly.

Nike will pay Clemson money not only to wear their uniforms but also to recruit and pay their players.

It will be like the NFL. The sponsor hires the coach and the sponsor hires the general manager. The general manager figures out who to sign and how much to pay them.

Not saying this will happen in the next 5 years, but it sure looks like that is the direction we are heading.

Disclaimer: That is assuming America exists as a capitalistic nation 20 years from now.

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College sports going the way of Olympic Sports.

Jan 21, 2022, 7:32 PM

I'm thinking your right as much as i hate what's happening to the sport I love. I don't watch the Olympic's anymore just because of that fact.
Praying that the NCAA will do something to stop this mess.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Capitalism seems to be alive and well in college sports.

Jan 21, 2022, 9:00 PM

You seem to long for the days of control by a central authority.

Hmmm think about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College sports going the way of Olympic Sports.

Jan 21, 2022, 9:31 PM

Agree Bret.

DJ-U is already a professional. DJ earned more money than most coaches and analysts on the Clemson staff in 2021 even though his performance ranked at the very bottom of Clemson team and position rankings.

Per your comments, I think we can agree in the NBA that shoe company endorsements override many U.S. and international interests.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic