Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason...

Dec 5, 2021, 3:37 PM

the culture that Dabo has built, cultivated, and maintained... Claiming we have to look outside and throwing all these names out is exactly the opposite of what has made Clemson what it is.

Dabo may hire outside. I don't know. But I know this... The most important thing to him, and to maintain where we are, is our culture. That's why people come here, and that is what sets us apart. He doesn't want to be Alabama. He wants us to be Clemson, and he has built that brand in a very calculated way.

He will protect the culture at all costs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason...

Dec 5, 2021, 3:40 PM

ON TARGET, Well spoken!!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason...

Dec 5, 2021, 3:42 PM

What? Going outside the program is exactly what has helped make Clemson what it is. Venables is one of the greatest hires in CFB history, and he had no connection to the program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... but he has been here 10 years, and there was

Dec 5, 2021, 3:46 PM

a reason he stayed so long...

Dabo hired within after Morris left. He has brought on former Clemson players. I am not saying that he won't hire outside. I am saying that if he feels the best thing for the culture is a internal hire, then that's what he'll do, and it will not signify and "unwillingness" to be great.

also, you have to consider that the Venables hire was AFTER

Dec 5, 2021, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason... ]

Steele was fired. There wasn't an option but to go outside. Morris leaving was different, and it feels like Dabo knows is assistants may get opportunities, and he plans for that. That is different than firing someone.

And don't forget that Dabo was an internal hire himself.

Neither does Bates or Reed or Hall or Cohn

Dec 5, 2021, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is what it is the last 10 years b/c of ONE reason... ]

Or Caldwell for that matter. Some had a connection to Bama and Dabo but not to Clemson. Also Streeter only had a connection to Clemson, not Dabo. Elliot, Grisham and CJ have a connection to both Dabo and Clemson. I’m fine with Bates and Streeter promotions if that’s where Dabo heads this off-season. I’d prefer he fill some guys who fit our culture but have experience elsewhere when backfilling for those spots. You can’t end up with only guys who played and coached for you. Some of the analysts need to follow Jeff, Tony and Brent and get some experience elsewhere IMO. Seems we had several guys that followed Morris to SMU - where are they and what experience have they picked up since…

Re: he will go get a great fit...but

Dec 5, 2021, 3:46 PM

Why here that guy is on staff or not doesn't matter. Two guys that got it going were Morris and Venables and both were outside hires....so was Bates.

He will get a good one no doubt. But it won't be Venables and no one ever will...the guy is a legend

Both BV and CM came on after firings...

Dec 5, 2021, 3:50 PM

that's different than an assistant on your staff leaves for a head job.

Culture is obviously very important, but at some point its

Dec 5, 2021, 3:50 PM

healthy to bring in some fresh ideas too. It's not impossible to do both either.

He could hire from outside... but i think the difference is

Dec 5, 2021, 3:52 PM

that both Morris and Venables were brought on after firings. Taking a HC job is different, and I think the preparation for someone leaving to do that is different from Dabo's perspective.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic