Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best big time Clemson FB game win for me is the 44-16
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1709

Best big time Clemson FB game win for me is the 44-16

May 25, 2024, 1:42 AM

Saying, going into that game with a true Freshman QB was not a time of 100% confidence..

and pundits were calling the undefeated Bama squad the best college football team ever (after they would win & be crowned National Champs)..

but to witness an eye-opening performance for the decades by our Tigers that will go down in infamy since they put a resounding whipping on those Red Elephants which was one for the books and one of their worse losses ever..

and even more astonishing was that the Clemson D at the end was just getting into 5th gear with OD still available!

What Clemson big game has you rating it your best to witness?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best big time Clemson FB game win for me is the 44-16

May 25, 2024, 4:20 AM

In 1967 NCState left Clemson 8-2-0 … most exciting and best game I have ever seen. It was the first Clemson home win over a top-ten team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 13 years old and at that game. It was a huge

May 26, 2024, 12:53 AM

one for us at the time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 4:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Best big time Clemson FB game win for me is the 44-16 ]

I too was 13 for that game and I remember all the excitement as well as the orange shoes we wore. NC State wore white shoes that year and came in ranked high.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2024, 6:33 AM

That game was huge, but my favorite still has to be the Georgia vs Clemson game in 1981. I was at that game, so it will always be special to me. Herschel Walker (probably the best college running back to ever play) was manhandled by the Tiger defense that day.
If you're a Tiger fan and have never watched that game, I highly recommend it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 25, 2024, 2:05 PM

Good call Pig.i was there as well. That was an epic defensive thrashing by our guys. I was still barely a teenager at 19!

May 25, 2024, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Best big time Clemson FB game win for me is the 44-16 ]

I was at that UGA game as well and agree with Pig.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nattys are big games, for sure. But, much like a pro golfer doesn't just

May 25, 2024, 6:56 AM

suddenly come from obscurity to win a major title, neither does a college football program come from nowhere to win a Natty, or multiple Nattys. There are building blocks along the way.

That is why, I will ALWAYS consider the 2012 bowl win against LSU the turning point, and most important game in modern Clemson football history. We had had our first really good season the year before, making the Orange Bowl for the first time since 1981. Then the West Virginia debacle happened. Suddenly, all the gains seemed gone. Was it all just a mirage? We had to endure the longest offseason I can ever remember, with all the "OOPS, West Virginia just scored again!" jokes from the joyous Coots. The fact that we were in their Five Bomb streak also didn't help morale.

But, 2012 showed that this program, under Dabo Swinney, was going to be different. We would not quit, ever. We would scratch, claw, as he said in the LSU postgame, for every single blade of grass. A whole lot of things had to go our way at the end of that game for us to have a shot at winning it. Not least of which was Les Miles inexplicable decision to throw the ball on that last possession of theirs, leaving us time, precious time, to make that last drive, which of course included 4th and 16.

When Catman struck that ball straight and true, and the score flipped to 25-24 CLEMSON as time expired, I literally leapt out of my recliner, which was no mean feat, even back then, shouting, YES! YES! YES! like a demented Daniel Bryan wrestling fan. Because I KNEW, in that moment, what it meant. We had not yet won a Natty, but we had, for sure, finally broken base camp now, and were on the trek to the top of the mountain. It would take awhile yet to get there, but somehow, that game gave us the faith that we could. That is what makes games important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nattys are big games, for sure. But, much like a pro golfer doesn't just

May 25, 2024, 7:21 AM

And what a fun game to watch.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 25, 2024, 9:57 AM

We lost the game but the punt rooskie game was the best big time game I ever saw in The Valley. Nothing will ever beat the atmosphere and crowd that game had.

"We Will Rock You" FSU 2009 night game in the Valley was awesome, as well.

May 25, 2024, 10:11 AM

Christian is probably still trying to Ponder what happened to him after Deandre McDaniel hit him.

https://youtu.be/pfI6UZ8pwP0

May 25, 2024, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Nattys are big games, for sure. But, much like a pro golfer doesn't just ]

Was there for that incredible atmosphere as well. The UGA game the year before was equally exciting with similar weather. Clock running out with no timeouts as Treadwell punched through fg. Not sure my heart could take it now.

That was a great one! And we followed up with the opener

May 26, 2024, 12:55 AM [ in reply to Nattys are big games, for sure. But, much like a pro golfer doesn't just ]

the next season beating Georgia!

Hard to top the Nattys but Clemson vs Ga 1987

May 25, 2024, 12:04 PM

In the Valley is my all time favorite home game!
My freshman year at Clemson. I went from being a Clemson Fan to my blood bleeds orange during that game.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Hard to top the Nattys but Clemson vs Ga 1987

May 25, 2024, 2:11 PM

Close second to the ‘81 game for sure. We were dead in the water until the safety. That was a thriller for sure!

May 25, 2024, 3:22 PM

Actually it should have been 51 - 16. Dabo, the gentleman he is, took a knee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

I really liked 63-17

May 25, 2024, 9:24 PM

Against those nasty Cawks. 😂😂

Not the biggest game from a national standpoint but

May 26, 2024, 12:58 AM

but the most satisfying ever win for me was 2014 win over coots to break the streak. I never felt so good as I did after that one and have been going to games since 1963.

May 31, 2024, 8:24 AM

2018 Syracuse game - still occasionally watch the highlights to see that magnificent throw from Chase Brice on 4th down.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1709
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic