Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 game redshirt rule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,296

4 game redshirt rule

Oct 19, 2021, 8:33 AM

I'm going to throw this out there and then go to work. I'll see if anybody has any opinions when I get home.

Originally, I think that the 4 game red shirt was put into effect so that kids could red shirt and still get some experience. Now with more liberal transfer rules it has morphed into another animal. Kids are using the 4 games to see how they stack up a third of the way through the season. If they are not getting the playing time, then they are jumping into the portal.

I think they need to look at changing the 4 game rule, so that their eligibility only applies to the team that they are playing for if they play at all. I have no problem with the transfer but they should not get eligibility back for jumping ship. Any thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4 game redshirt rule

Oct 19, 2021, 8:47 AM

I may be wrong but I don't see many freshman and true sophomores transferring... Not that I've paid attention to other teams. So I would have to disagree with your premise. Jmho.

Imho, the hidden gems are the freshman that transfer because of coaching change, need to be closer to home etc. NOT the ones that just quit on a team because they didn't get their participation trophy.

Others would be grad transfers that have PT experience but perhaps were in mis matched schemes, no grad program.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they should be able to get the year back but they should be forced

Oct 19, 2021, 8:53 AM

To sit out a year at the new school - no exceptions. That would basically be 2 years off from football. Or maybe you have 5 years to play 48 games excluding postseason- no exceptions for medical or anything else. I personally don’t think they should have given a pass on the Covid year once everyone started playing last year. It’s screwed a lot of things up and will still impact the game for the next several years.

Oct 19, 2021, 9:01 AM

I think the portal should be closed for each sport while they are in season.

That removes the threat of a kid entering the portal because he gets mad at a coach in a heated game situation.

Portal opens the day after your team has finished their regular season schedule.

I would exclude post season from the dead period because so many postseasons are very long and run almost all the way to the main signing date for each sport.

Oct 19, 2021, 9:18 AM

I actually very much like that idea, especially with some of the transfers we have seen recently of the #2 or #3 guy transferring mid-season, and only weeks later the starters ahead of him are injured and the individual could have gained his starting role that he desired. I think we have to understand that these young men are still kids and make hot-headed decisions in the heat of the moment. The portal provides a perfect "out". With it closed while in season, that allows the player time to truly think through their decision before possibly making one that they will regret sooner rather than later.

Oct 19, 2021, 1:09 PM

I love your idea. I am not a fan of the free agency and 4 game trade deadline leading to midseason transfers. However, I don't think that the college football brass have the stones to try to make this change. The players have most of the power now and any move to limit their options will be met with nothing but the heaviest opposition.

It would be easier to get them to force the college losing the player, to give the player the remaining cash value of the 4 year scholarship they are giving up to help with their transition during their difficult time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,296
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic