and frankly, I agree that there were a number of missed calls that would have benefitted Georgia, but at the end of the day, Georgia had the lead and they had Bama in a second and long situation in OT well out of FG range. Then, the UGa defender (who was a liability for Georgia all night) allowed a Bama receiver to get behind him without any help over the top for a 40 yard TD completion. Game over.
1) The offsides on the tying TD It does look like the Bama WR moves. But there was also a no call on a blatent PI on the back end of the goalline. The UGA DB absolutely tackled the intended WR before Ridley caught the ball. At worst, its offsetting penalties and run the play again.
2) The offsides on the blocked punt Ok, so the Bama player moved too. Guess what Dwag fans, if the play was called correctly, you still wouldn't have a blocked punt. 5 yards on Bama. At most its a 10 yard difference on the punt and field position.
3) Facemask Yeap, got 1 they missed.
4) "The Punch" Amazingly that crappy field level is the only replay of the punch I've seen. ESPN had so many cameras there has to be another view to know if it is an actual punch. They had a whole camera feed of the full 22, but yet they never showed another angle of it. The ref was looking right at it and didn't eject for a punch so...regular unsportsmanlike, 15 yards and move on. That being said, no way the player should have gone back on the field after going icky balookey on the coach.
5) The head shove Given the circumstances and the way that Bama was losing their composure, I would have flagged that one. But I can also see not calling it too. Plenty of UGA players were mouthing off after plays too.
Other plays that UGA fans aren't complaining about The offsides on the 1st FG attempt. Looked to me like the Bama lineman was reacting to the UGA player sprinting to the LOS.
Rico Blankenship's false start on the FG in the Rose Bowl.
Even on the facemask, they need to shut-up. In the Rose Bowl they had a facemask on the OK running back that was not called. It was a 3rd and 3 for OK, 4th quarter with 3:50 left in game. If the penalty got called if would have been a 1st down for OK with a 45-38 lead. OK likely would have run out clock or scored again. See 3:50 on game clock on link below.
what was obvious all season. Georgia's safeties are terrible and have been the weak link in their defense, maybe their whole team, all year. Their pass rush has disguised this by not giving other teams the chance to throw deep. I'm surprised that other teams haven't taken advantage of this earlier. Perhaps instead of using all those schollies to pick up offensive linemen and running backs Smart should be picking up some safety help.