Individual Quarterback Rankings
1) Charlie Whitehurst - Whitehurst did not have the junior year many expected him to have. There were several factors that led to Whitehurst struggling. The two major contributing factors offensive line and wide receivers. Rob Spence has shown he can turn quarterbacks around, and we expect he will do the same with Whitehurst this season. Whitehurst has a good arm, and still throws the deep ball as accurate as any quarterback in the country.
2) Marques Hagans - Hagans really shined for Virginia last season. He had the highest QB rating in the ACC. He proved that he was capable of stepping in the shoes vacated by Matt Schaub. Hagans overcame lack of talent at wide receiver to perform well last season. The talent at wideout should be upgraded this year, and Hagans will post bigger numbers.
3) Marcus Vick - Vick is an incredible talent on the field. Unfortunately his actions off the field have kept him from stepping on the field. No longer does Vick have to stand in the shadow of Bryan Randall. This Hokie team belongs Vick, and if he plays to his ability Virginia Tech could be the favorite to win the ACC.
4) Ben Mauk - Mauk stepped in as the starter over Cory Randolph late last season. Mauk had been breathing down Randolph's neck since signing with the Demon Deacons. Mauk has a good arm with enough mobility to really make the Deacs offense more difficult to defend. He makes them more of a threat in the vertical passing game. Do not sleep on Mauk's mobility, as he can scramble for the first down. He is not the running threat Hagans or Vick is, but he can get the job done for Jim Grobe.
5) Xavier Lee - Lee has not even been named the starter at Florida State, yet he makes our list at #5. Lee is a dangerous runner with an incredible arm. In a high school warm up, Lee threw the ball 60 yards from his knees. With Wyatt Sexton virtually out of the picture, Lee has his chance to shine. He could be the answer Florida State has been looking for the last four years. If Bobby Bowden turns Lee loose, the Seminoles may once again prove to be the team to beat in the ACC.