|Clemson vs. GT Postgame Notes|
|by TigerNet Staff - Saturday, October 6, 2012 10:04 PM||
Pos: QB Height: 6-1 Weight: 225 Hometown: Hampton, VA (Phoebus HS) Years Played: 2009 - 2013
Memorial Stadium – Clemson, SC
October 6, 2012
* Clemson finished today’s game with 601 yards of total offense. That ranks eighth in school history in total offense and is the most yards of total offense by Clemson since last season when Clemson had 624 yards against Auburn.
* Clemson and Georgia Tech combined for 1,084 yards of total offense in today’s game. That is second most in school history for total offense by both teams. The record is 1107 in 1981 when Clemson totaled 756 yards of offense and Wake Forest went for 351 yards.
* Clemson is now 9-0 when they total at least 600 yards of total offense. The Tigers are also now 61-0-1 when they total at least 500 yards and are 60-0-1 when they total at least 200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing.
* Clemson has now won five straight redemption games (defeating a team at home the year after losing to the same team on the road), and eight of their last nine redemption games. Clemson is also 3-0 against Georgia Tech in their last three redemption games versus the Yellow Jackets.
* Clemson scored 47 points against Georgia Tech in today’s game. That is the most points scored by Clemson at home against Georgia Tech in school history. The previous high was 41 points in 1983.
* Clemson’s 47 points is also the most points Clemson has scored against the Yellow Jackets, regardless of site, since 2001 when they scored 47 en route to a 47-44 overtime win at Georgia Tech.
* Clemson had its longest drive in terms of plays, yards and time in third quarter. The drive went 14 plays, spanned 90 yards, lasted 5:27 and resulted in a 21-yard field goal.
* Chandler CatanzaroChandler Catanzaro
RS Jr. Punter / Kicker
#39 6-2, 195
View Full Profile made a 23-yard field goal in the first quarter, a 20-yard field goal in the second quarter, and a 21-yard field goal in the third quarter. He has now made 19 consecutive field goals and is 11-for-11 this season.
* Following those three makes, Catanzaro has 47 career field goals, which moves him into a tie for sixth place on the Clemson career field goals list. He is tied with David Treadwell, who was in attendance today celebrating his 25th reunion with the 1987 team.
* With Tajh BoydTajh Boyd
RS Jr. Quarterback
#10 6-1, 225
View Full Profile’s 58-yard touchdown pass to DeAndre HopkinsDeAndre Hopkins
Jr. Wide Receiver
#6 6-2, 205
View Full Profile in the second quarter, Boyd became Clemson’s all-time career leader in touchdown passes with 50 career touchdown passes.
* Boyd finished the game with two passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown. That gives Boyd 51 career touchdown passes and makes him responsible for 59 touchdowns. He is now tied for second with Charlie WhitehurstCharlie Whitehurst
#6 6-4, 225
View Full Profile in touchdown responsibility in Clemson history. The record is 68 by Woody Dantlzer.
* Boyd passed for a career-high 397 yards in today’s game. That ranks second in school history in passing yards behind Charlie Whitehurst’s 420 passing yards against Duke in 2002.
* Boyd also rushed for a career-high 63 yards in today’s game. His previous career-high came against Auburn earlier this season when he rushed for 58 yards.
* Boyd’s 397 passing yards and 63 rushing yards for a total of 460 yards of total offense. That is second most yards of total by an individual player in school history. The record is 517 yards of total offense by Woodrow Dantzler in 2001 against NC State.
* Boyd is now third in Clemson history in career passing yards with 5,905. He trails Woodrow Dantzler (6,037) for second place.
* Roderick McDowellRoderick McDowell
RS Jr. Running Back
#25 5-9, 195
View Full Profile had nine carries for 56 yards and a career-high two touchdowns. He now has five touchdowns for the season and seven for his career. He has a rushing touchdown in back-to-back games and has scored in four of the Tigers’ six games this season and five out of the last seven over two years because he scored in the Orange Bowl against West Virginia.
* In the fourth quarter, Spencer ShueySpencer Shuey
RS Jr. Linebacker
#33 6-3, 230
View Full Profile tackled Orwin Smith in the endzone for a safety. That is the first Clemson safety since September 20, 2008, when S.C. State’s Malcolm Long illegally batted a fumble in the endzone for a safety. It was just the sixth safety by Clemson at Death Valley in the last 25 years. The most famous safety by Clemson in Death Valley took place in 1987 as the Tigers recorded a fourth quarter safety against Georgia in a 21-10 victory. Today many of those 1987 Tigers were in town for the 25-year reunion of that 10-2 Clemson team.
* DeAndre Hopkins finished today’s game with seven receptions for 173 yards and two touchdowns. His 173 receiving yards is fifth-best in school history.
* Hopkins now has eight touchdown receptions this season, giving him 17 for his career. That ties him with Perry Tuttle for third place in school history for career touchdown receptions.
* Hopkins has had at least 100 yards receiving in four of Clemson’s six games this season, and a touchdown catch in five of the six as well.
* Josh WatsonJosh Watson
RS So. Defensive Tackle
#91 6-4, 285
View Full Profile blocked a field goal in the fourth quarter of today’s game. It is the first blocked kick since 2010 when Brandon ThompsonBrandon Thompson
#98 6-2, 310
View Full Profile blocked an extra point against South Carolina.
* Grady JarrettGrady Jarrett
So. Defensive Tackle
#50 6-1, 290
View Full Profile recovered the first fumble of his career in the third quarter of today’s game.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||
|Discuss this update on the Player Board - Chat about this update in TigerActive Chat|
4/20 - Photo: Tajh Boyd at his MVP camp4/18 - Tajh Boyd among pro-day risers4/17 - WATCH: Tajh Boyd reacts to combine scene in Path to Greatness4/17 - WATCH: Gruden's QB Camp: Tajh Boyd4/14 - Tajh Boyd: Playstation Path to Greatness - Work in Progress4/14 - Latest NFL interest for Tajh Boyd3/31 - WATCH: Tajh Boyd in Path to Greatness: Episode 53/27 - NFL coordinator "intrigued" by Tajh Boyd