|Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter|
|Assoc. Editor - Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:28 AM-||
Speaking at Dabo Swinney's media golf even on Tuesday, Clemson running back coach Tony Elliott said that running back D.J. HowardD.J. Howard
RS Sr. Running Back
#22 5-11, 195
View Full Profile will be the starter unless one of other three backups - Wayne GallmanWayne Gallman
RS Fr. Running Back
#9 6-1, 195
View Full Profile, C.J. DavidsonC.J. Davidson
RS Jr. Running Back
#32 5-11, 185
View Full Profile, and Zac BrooksZac Brooks
Jr. Running Back
#24 6-1, 185
View Full Profile - truly separates from the group.
"With D.J. [Howard] being the veteran with the most experience and the way he was performing you got to go knock out the champ," Elliott said. "I'm not about going in with a split decision and taking the belt away from the champ...at the same time you got to understand yes there is a starter, but the starter can't play every snap and carry every time. In today's college football the days of a guy carrying the ball 30 times and lasting the whole season is not realistic."
Elliott said he honestly thought Zac Brooks could have been starter by now in his career.
"I thought he would be the guy, by now, that would separate himself," Elliott said. "I think he has all the tools, all the ability. Now he is at the point where he is starting to carry a little bit more weight. I think he is a guy that most naturally from an ability standpoint, from an experience standpoint could separate himself. And you saw some flashes of that in the spring game. He really pushed D.J. for that spot."
Elliott also said he realistically has 4 guys that could all separate themselves and be the guy.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Kirk Herbstreit's prediction of Clemson-FSU
- Kickoff Times set for first 2 home football games
- Clemson fan puts '3-9 sign' on Gamecock Bus
- Stanford coach: "Playing Dabo Swinney at Clemson would be a blast"
- Vic Beasley to switch positions for Falcons
- Report: Former Clemson WR set to join Highland JUCO
- Auburn OC: "Everything's problematic" about Deshaun Watson
- Blossomgame makes his decision on the NBA
- Tigers sweep Notre Dame to clinch at least 6th seed in ACC Tournament
- Former Clemson DT signs with Toronto Argonauts