|Elliott says backups will have to knock out Howard to be RB starter|
|by Tony Crumpton - Associate Editor - Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:28 AM||
Speaking at Dabo Swinney's media golf even on Tuesday, Clemson running back coach Tony Elliott said that running back D.J. HowardD.J. Howard
RS Sr. Running Back
#22 5-11, 195
View Full Profile will be the starter unless one of other three backups - Wayne GallmanWayne Gallman
RS Fr. Running Back
#9 6-1, 195
View Full Profile, C.J. DavidsonC.J. Davidson
RS Jr. Running Back
#32 5-11, 185
View Full Profile, and Zac BrooksZac Brooks
Jr. Running Back
#24 6-1, 185
View Full Profile - truly separates from the group.
"With D.J. [Howard] being the veteran with the most experience and the way he was performing you got to go knock out the champ," Elliott said. "I'm not about going in with a split decision and taking the belt away from the champ...at the same time you got to understand yes there is a starter, but the starter can't play every snap and carry every time. In today's college football the days of a guy carrying the ball 30 times and lasting the whole season is not realistic."
Elliott said he honestly thought Zac Brooks could have been starter by now in his career.
"I thought he would be the guy, by now, that would separate himself," Elliott said. "I think he has all the tools, all the ability. Now he is at the point where he is starting to carry a little bit more weight. I think he is a guy that most naturally from an ability standpoint, from an experience standpoint could separate himself. And you saw some flashes of that in the spring game. He really pushed D.J. for that spot."
Elliott also said he realistically has 4 guys that could all separate themselves and be the guy.
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||
- Photo: Black Bear seen on Clemson's Campus
- Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite
- Off the bubble: Tigers earn NCAA bid
- Clemson releases 2015 Summer Depth Chart
- ESPN discusses Watson's Heisman odds
- Vic Beasley could miss start of OTAs
- Updated NCAA Tournament Projection for Clemson
- Former Clemson Basketball Coach Passes Away
- Muse cleared to play for the Gastonia Grizzlies
- Swinney says he will not attend Palmetto Family Council event