|Crownover to Return to Clemson in 2015|
|Press Release - Friday, July 18, 2014 5:19 PM||
Matthew CrownoverMatthew Crownover
So. LH Pitcher
#44 5-11, 205
View Full Profile will return to Clemson for his junior season in 2015. The Rinngold, Ga. native was drafted in the 21st round (No. 628 overall pick) by the San Francisco Giants in June but has elected to return to the Tigers. The deadline for players to sign with an MLB team was Friday, July 18 at 5 p.m. EDT.
"I love being at Clemson and love being a Tiger," said Crownover. "One of the reasons I came to Clemson was to play in the postseason and go to Omaha. Hopefully, we can make a run next season.
"I'm looking forward to seeing how our team improves. I believe I can be a leader by my actions for the guys coming back and the new players."
Crownover, the first Tiger picked by the Giants since 2007 (Andy D'Alessio), was a Third-Team All-ACC selection in 2014. He had an 8-6 record, a 2.90 ERA and .251 opponents' batting average in 99.1 innings pitched over 17 appearances (16 starts). He also had 90 strikeouts against only 20 walks, an outstanding 4.50 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
The lefty tied for fourth in the ACC in starts, tied for sixth in wins, seventh in strikeouts and 10th in innings pitched. He also led the team in wins and starts. In his two-year career (2013,14), he is 15-9 with a 2.60 ERA and 135 strikeouts against only 37 walks.
In July, Crownover was selected to the All-ACC Academic team for the second year in a row.
"I'm only three semesters away from graduating," added Crownover, a communication studies major. "Coming from parents who are both teachers, earning my degree is something that is very important to me and my family."
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Former Clemson RB signee enrolls at Memphis
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Clemson DB out for spring after ACL surgery
- ESPN to visit Clemson for National Signing Day
- Former Clemson DB on Sports Illustrated cover
- Clemson ranked in Top 25 of Preseason ranking
- Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic
- Future non-conference football opponents for Clemson