|Ben Martin qualifies for British Open|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:35 PM||
Clemson, SC — Former Clemson All-American Ben Martin qualified for The Open Championship on Sunday when he finished tied for third at the Quicken Loan National at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland.
Martin qualified by finishing within the top four players not already qualified for The Open, which will be played July 17-20 at Royal Liverpool in Hoylake, England. Martin will be joined at the British Open by former Clemson All-American Lucas Glover.
The native of Greenwood, S.C. earned a career best $377,000 on Sunday. The 2009 Clemson graduate who played his final spring of 2010 as a graduate student, had rounds of 72-68-70-71 to finish with a three-under-par 281 score for the 72 holes.
Martin made birdies on three of his last six holes to improve from 19th place to third, tying his career best finish in a PGA Tour event. He has now made seven consecutive cuts and has finished at par or better in all seven events.
His highlight shot of the day came on the 17th hole when he made a 39-foot bunker shot for a birdie. Entering this week, Martin was 94th on tour in converting bunker shots into pars, as he had accomplished the feat 50 percent of the time.
- Clemson rated as #1 overrated bowl winner for 2015 season
- Spurrier tells Gamecock fans to circle the Clemson game
- Clemson GA has accepted position with Buffalo Bills
- Photo: C.J. Spiller and Ray Ray McCloud
- Howard's Rock vandal faces additional charges and jail time
- DMac is Back, and he's excited about the chance to work with young secondary talent
- Rex Ryan: Watkins is a "Once in a 10 year type player"
- Anthony named Award Winner at Senior Bowl
- Watson listed on SI.com's Early Heisman Watch
- WATCH: Smith hits game winner in final sec