|No. 2 Cavaliers Blank No. 14 Tigers 1-0 Sunday to Take Series|
|Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:53 PM-||
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. – Sophomore lefthander Brandon Waddell scattered six hits in 6.1 innings pitched in No. 2 Virginia’s 1-0 victory over No. 14 Clemson at UVa Baseball Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers (30-6, 14-4 ACC) won the series 2-1 against the Tigers (21-14, 10-7). It was the first time in 2014 that Clemson, who allowed just five runs in the series, was shut out.
Waddell (5-1) earned the win by giving up no runs and no walks with four strikeouts. Nick Howard pitched a scoreless ninth inning to record his 11th save of the season. Tiger starter Jake LongJake Long
RS Jr. RH Pitcher
#39 5-10, 180
View Full Profile (2-1) suffered his first loss as a Tiger despite yielding just four hits, one run and two walks with four strikeouts in 5.0 innings pitched.
Virginia got on the scoreboard in the third inning on Mike Papi’s sacrifice fly to right field that plated Robbie Coman. The Tigers had several scoring opportunities, but came up empty and could not score any of their 11 baserunners in the contest.
The Tigers host Coastal Carolina on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
- Clemson student crowned Miss South Carolina 2016
- ESPN lists 2 Tigers poised for breakout seasons
- Clemson Football season tickets sold out
- Former NFL standout picks Clemson to win it all
- Clemson will not charge students for football tickets this season
- ESPN lists Boulware as teammate that inspires others
- Swinney in Top 10 rankings of CFB Coaches
- NFL.com ranks Gallman as a Top 10 CFB running back
- WATCH: Clemson Football Hype Video 2016
- NFL.com ranks Watson #1 QB to watch in 2016