|No. 2 Cavaliers Blank No. 14 Tigers 1-0 Sunday to Take Series|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. – Sophomore lefthander Brandon Waddell scattered six hits in 6.1 innings pitched in No. 2 Virginia’s 1-0 victory over No. 14 Clemson at UVa Baseball Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers (30-6, 14-4 ACC) won the series 2-1 against the Tigers (21-14, 10-7). It was the first time in 2014 that Clemson, who allowed just five runs in the series, was shut out.
Waddell (5-1) earned the win by giving up no runs and no walks with four strikeouts. Nick Howard pitched a scoreless ninth inning to record his 11th save of the season. Tiger starter Jake LongJake Long
RS Jr. RH Pitcher
#39 5-10, 180
View Full Profile (2-1) suffered his first loss as a Tiger despite yielding just four hits, one run and two walks with four strikeouts in 5.0 innings pitched.
Virginia got on the scoreboard in the third inning on Mike Papi’s sacrifice fly to right field that plated Robbie Coman. The Tigers had several scoring opportunities, but came up empty and could not score any of their 11 baserunners in the contest.
The Tigers host Coastal Carolina on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
- ESPN host: "I now actively root against Clemson"
- ESPN analyst says Alabama's worst nightmare is Clemson
- WATCH: Swinney locker room speech and dance moves after ACC Championship win
- Clemson earns #2 seed in College Football Playoff
- Disney employees given tickets to ACC Championship to help fill stadium
- Deshaun Watson named finalist for 2016 Heisman Trophy Award
- Game time announced for Fiesta Bowl
- Boulware wins 2016 Jack Lambert Award
- Latest Heisman odds for Deshaun Watson
- Official Fiesta Bowl Packages Available Now!