|No. 2 Cavaliers Blank No. 14 Tigers 1-0 Sunday to Take Series|
|Clemson Athletic Communications - Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:53 PM||
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. – Sophomore lefthander Brandon Waddell scattered six hits in 6.1 innings pitched in No. 2 Virginia’s 1-0 victory over No. 14 Clemson at UVa Baseball Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers (30-6, 14-4 ACC) won the series 2-1 against the Tigers (21-14, 10-7). It was the first time in 2014 that Clemson, who allowed just five runs in the series, was shut out.
Waddell (5-1) earned the win by giving up no runs and no walks with four strikeouts. Nick Howard pitched a scoreless ninth inning to record his 11th save of the season. Tiger starter Jake LongJake Long
RS Jr. RH Pitcher
#39 5-10, 180
View Full Profile (2-1) suffered his first loss as a Tiger despite yielding just four hits, one run and two walks with four strikeouts in 5.0 innings pitched.
Virginia got on the scoreboard in the third inning on Mike Papi’s sacrifice fly to right field that plated Robbie Coman. The Tigers had several scoring opportunities, but came up empty and could not score any of their 11 baserunners in the contest.
The Tigers host Coastal Carolina on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
- NFL suspends Bryant for substance abuse
- Clemson-Wofford will kickoff new service from ESPN
- Latest Bowl Projection for Clemson
- Scott on QB rotation against Wofford
- Clemson releases depth chart for Wofford
- WATCH: Clemson Football - "It's Time"
- WATCH: Clemson Football 2015 Hype Video
- Photo: Louisville to wear alternate uniforms against Clemson
- TV Network Affiliates for Wofford at Clemson
- Bryant dealing with issues outside of football