|Baseball: Maine 3 Clemson 13 Final|
Clemson, SC - The #13 Clemson Tigers defeated Maine 13-3 on Saturday afternoon at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, giving Head Coach Jack Leggett his 1,268th career win to move into sole possession of 10th place on the Division I wins list. Leggett, a 1976 Maine graduate, moved ahead of the late Ron Fraser, who had 1,267 wins in his coaching career. The Tigers took a 2-0 series lead and improved to 4-1 overall, while the Black Bears fell to 1-4.
Clemson led 2-0 before Maine plated three unearned runs in the top of the fifth inning on Kyle Silva’s two-out, three-run double. However, the Tigers responded with two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to take the lead and blew the game open with nine more runs the rest of the way.
Clemson totaled 18 hits, its highest total since 2012. Every Tiger starter had at least one hit and 11 Tigers in all had a hit. Tyler Slaton led the way with a career-high-tying four hits, while freshman Weston Wilson hit his first career homer. Steven Duggar extended his hitting streak to 14 games as well.
“When you start hitting the ball, it gets contagious,” said Leggett. “It’s nice to have one of those games, and hopefully we can build off that.
“I’m excited about Slaton. He’s a good player for us…a hard-nosed, tough, blue-collar guy. I really like him a lot.”
Tiger starter Matthew Crownover (2-0) earned the win, allowing eight hits, three unearned runs, and one walk with four strikeouts. Maine reliever Logan Fullmer (0-1) suffered the loss.
Clemson and Maine play the series-finale on Sunday at 12:00 PM. Fans can get a Family Four Pack of tickets for $20 at ClemsonTigers.com or at the gate. It is also Social Sunday, as fans who show their voucher at @ClemsonBaseball on Twitter or Instagram can buy $2 fried mac & cheese bites.
Coach Leggett recorded his 1,268 win in today's game. That moves him in to 10th place all-time in NCAA Div. I wins. pic.twitter.com/Q2lPhp57dK— Clemson Baseball (@ClemsonBaseball) February 22, 2014
If you can't see the PDF below, click here to open it.
- Watson to Gruden on how to win a Heisman: "I guess lose a couple games"
- Ben Boulware is pulling for....South Carolina?
- Clemson Baseball moves into Top 5 rankings
- Gruden says he would take Watson over Trubisky
- Clemson with school-record 15 wins in a row away from home
- Tigers win 13th in row away from home in rout of BC
- Watson on teams that pass on him: "You gonna have to learn the hard way"
- 6-year-old writes about Boulware tackling him in dream
- Vegas Odds on Clemson winning the 2017 National Championship
- Clemson blanks Boston College