Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Watkins says he's going to "shock the world" at combine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

FB Update: Watkins says he's going to "shock the world" at combine

Feb 17, 2014, 3:24 PM

Watkins says he's going to "shock the world" at combine

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Watkins says he's going to "shock the world" at combine

Feb 17, 2014, 3:26 PM

Unless he runs below a 4.1 or above a 4.4, I won't be shocked.

STS op-ed on Clemson's S&C program in 3...2....1...***

Feb 17, 2014, 3:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 17, 2014, 3:46 PM

when you hear it straight out of Sammy's mouth.

He is the third NFL prospect in the last two years who has had flexibility issues.

Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 17, 2014, 3:53 PM

Sounds like we are putting to much bulk muscle on our skill players instead of making them lean. A successful S&C program isn't determined by the fact that our players are simply bigger and stronger but that we are training and developing the right areas in term of muscle strength for different positions. We don't need muscle bulk on WR's and we don't need lean linemen. I think this is something Dabo needs to be keeping an eye on.

Re: Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 17, 2014, 9:39 PM

Are you kidding me, more muscle doesn't mean less speed, it means more power and endurance to take those tough hits in the secondary and across the middle, our receivers do not have S&C problem, clueless post!

Re: Re: Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 17, 2014, 11:28 PM

Didn't say anything about less speed. If too much bulk muscle is put on a WR yes he will be fast, he will be tough but he will be less agile and have less range of motion i.e less flexible.

Re: Re: Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 18, 2014, 9:21 AM

So you would rather have the runner cause he's more flexible? Makes perfect sense!

Here's an idea

Feb 18, 2014, 9:23 AM

Train the athletes to get bigger and put them on a stretching/flexibility program.

Re: Here's an idea

Feb 18, 2014, 11:06 PM

If they are training at all they will get bigger by default. All I'm saying is you don't want skill players bulking up like body builders so they should not be doing the same workouts as linebackers and linemen and if they are then there is a problem with our s&c program.

Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining,

Feb 18, 2014, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining, ]

As a certified personal trainer, I do not believe the trainers are putting too much muscle on the athletes. The extra bulk and strength is extremely beneficial to the WR's. What needs to be remembered is the more muscle you add the more stretching you need. I would suggest that the entire team participate in a yoga class two to three days weekly in addition to the other stretching routines. The class could be added as a part of the strength and conditioning program. Flexibility increases speed, strength, and decreases the risk of injuries.

Uh, he doesn't have flexibility issues….

Feb 17, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Kind of hard to criticise them for complaining, ]

he burnt defenders when he was hurt. You're clueless as how players get to work out when their in college vs. when they are preparing for the draft. In college they have a limited amount of time to work out because of classes. When they are preparing for the draft, their sole focus day in and day out is working out.

Our Dline and LB's had no flexibility issues when they were punishing the fast Braxton Miller.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of that would be very compelling

Feb 17, 2014, 4:27 PM

if we didn't hear about our player's relative lack of flexibility from training professionals who work with dozens of post-college athletes every year.

It's about more than running down Braxton Miller, it's also about staying healthy.

It's also worth noting that opening the door for constructive criticism of your program doesn't make you any less of a fan than those who prefer to believe that everything is perfect. In fact, I would argue that in some respects it can prove to be quite the opposite.

Sorry, but we don't hear about any lack of flexibility...

Feb 17, 2014, 4:54 PM

about our players. Made up stuff on STS doesn't count. Also, our players stay pretty healthy. Try to stick to facts, and not made up stuff just because you want to see Clemson fail.

There is a difference between constructive criticism, and wanting to see your team fail just to prove that your initial assessment was right. Take the S&C conspiracy stuff to STS. It will continue to be fun to see people like you end up being wrong year after year.

I don't want to see my alma mater fail at anything,

Feb 17, 2014, 5:15 PM

I don't care if it's football, Frisbee golf, or knowledge bowl.

And as for making stuff up, here is the most recent example:

"Maxwell came into the NFL stiff—literally. He couldn’t touch his toes while standing."

Source:
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/16/richard-sherman-byron-maxwell-seattle-seahawks-nfc-championship/

No excuse for that.

How do you define constructive criticism??

Maybe his toes are just tiny******

Feb 17, 2014, 5:39 PM

Re: I don't want to see my alma mater fail at anything,

Feb 17, 2014, 6:33 PM [ in reply to I don't want to see my alma mater fail at anything, ]

"Maxwell came into the NFL stiff—literally. He couldn’t touch his toes while standing."

Maxwell was flexible enough to keep his job in the NFL! And he worked on being more flexible for several hours a day, and he laid the wood on some of Denver's RBs and WRs in the Super bowl... played like a LB at the LOS and like a world class corner down the field...
DO YOU THINK HE LEARNED ALL THAT IN THE LAST 3 YEARS!
I think the S&C staff at Clemson had a lot to do with his ability and that of Gilchrist at San Diego and all the other former tigers in the NFL, Ellington quietly put together a fantastic rookie season at Arizona. Just think what he would have done if he had not been so tight?

Re: I don't want to see my alma mater fail at anything,

Feb 17, 2014, 10:14 PM

The biggest problem with our S&T program right now is that it is getting our players NFL ready to early. Loosing to many juniors whom gone on to make NFL squads as well as some making an early contribution to their squad.

I'm pretty sure that only

Feb 17, 2014, 9:37 PM [ in reply to I don't want to see my alma mater fail at anything, ]

an orangutan could touch his toes while standing.

Re: I'm pretty sure that only

Feb 17, 2014, 9:53 PM

Huh? I sit at a desk all day and right after I read your post... I just stood up, locked my legs and touched my toes with my back straight.

Re: I'm pretty sure that only

Feb 18, 2014, 1:09 AM

Well I just read your post and immediately patted my head and rubbed my belly at the same time. Do you think an orangutan could do that?

I was about to TU, but then I realized you were serious.***

Feb 18, 2014, 8:41 AM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure that only ]

Made up stuff on STS doesn't count...lol***

Feb 17, 2014, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Sorry, but we don't hear about any lack of flexibility... ]

Re: All of that would be very compelling

Feb 17, 2014, 6:27 PM [ in reply to All of that would be very compelling ]

Someone questioned whether the coaches and dabo were even paying attention to the issue! I see the coaches helping the players stretch so they care but the physical load of a season is going to tighten up anyone that is not spending hours a day stretching.

Re: Uh, he doesn't have flexibility issues….

Feb 17, 2014, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Uh, he doesn't have flexibility issues…. ]

I think the tightness simply build during the season of football and few of the players have the time to spend an hour or 2 a day doing yoga the Byron Maxwell is doing now.

so what Sammy said is a lie?***

Feb 17, 2014, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Uh, he doesn't have flexibility issues…. ]

Why the sensitivity?***

Feb 17, 2014, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Uh, he doesn't have flexibility issues…. ]

Underpromise.

Feb 17, 2014, 3:34 PM

Overdeliver.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please.

Feb 17, 2014, 4:54 PM

Sammy Watkins has pretty much over-delivered his entire career.

Feb 17, 2014, 3:41 PM

Anyone know what his fastest recorded 40 time is up to this point?

Feb 17, 2014, 5:40 PM

4.He gone!

Chris Johnson

Feb 17, 2014, 4:50 PM

Re: where does it say he said that?***

Feb 17, 2014, 9:38 PM

Please read this....

Feb 17, 2014, 11:42 PM

I enjoy reading these posts on Tigernet. What does bother me though, is all of the experts on here. Unless you have a degree in Exercise Fitness, have done Strength and Conditioning at a Collegiate level, have a C.S.C.S, and/or played, have had that injury or been through that, (I have) please quit talking to everyone as if you know more than them. I didn't list all of this to beat my chest either. I just want some people to know what they know, and know what they don't know.

When Tony Steward tore his 2nd ACL, some of you said he'd come back in 8 months and be just as explosive and fast. I predicted otherwise, and look at that. I've torn 2 ACL's (believe it or not in the same time frame as him), at the college level playing the exact same position. I admit I am not Tony though.

Some of you, about 3 years ago were whining about our S&C program and Batson. I told you that he is highly respected in the field, serving with distinction in his certification. You don't get that by being an idiot. Some of you didn't listen. Looky there, 3 years later and we have had one of the best runs ever. We haven't really been pushed around by anyone all year. And we had a 235/240 pound DE.

I'm not naive enough to say there aren't things we could improve on. I don't know everything. I'm only saying that some of you exaggerate problems because you don't understand or misdiagnose them. Know what you know, and know what you don't know. I'd never claim to know how the financial side of the football program works, because I've never done it. Some of you should realize what I'm saying.

People have

once again , Sammy is lying or not?***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:16 AM

Re: once again , Sammy is lying or not?***

Feb 18, 2014, 10:23 AM

Once again, what a poor supporter you are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How am I a poor supporter? Other posts are

Feb 18, 2014, 10:40 AM

clearly pointing out that Sammy is lying about improving outside of our S&C program. Sammy said it and the other posters are denying it how am I the bad guy?

Re: How am I a poor supporter? Other posts are

Feb 18, 2014, 5:40 PM

You still don't get it. You can never operate at 100% during the season. All the bumps and bruises, muscles tightening up, while you're tryingto maintain strength. Everyone feels their best right before the season when they've had some time to recover and their bodies feel better. Not to mention he is getting personalized training 1 on 1 status. You can't do that nearly as much in college. It's not a program deficiency though. If he went to a training facility and DIDNT feel like he was getting better I'd be worried.

Sammies physical ailments outside of

Feb 18, 2014, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Please read this.... ]

his illness during his sophomore season? Oh yeah it was hamstrings all season long.

Sammy

Feb 18, 2014, 1:56 AM

Doesn't need to shock the world. He just needs to go be Sammy and that's it. I understand players getting hyped up but Sammy shocked the world as a freshman. A solid day in front of the scouts and he will be set.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic