Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 3694

I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting.

May 22, 2024, 10:11 AM

All that is going on with NIL, the portal, paying players, lawsuits, conference realignment, etc is just ruining the game for me. From this point forward, I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy. I really don't see any reason to make myself miserable with this extra crap.
Go Tigers!!! Beat Georgia!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

I understand. It's disgusting.***

May 22, 2024, 10:16 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting.

May 22, 2024, 10:24 AM

Tune out all the talking morons who get rich just talking about it. In fact, I intend to mute the sound during the game. I don't need some paid shill to tell me what my eyes are seeing. If you are in the stadium you don't have some announcer telling you all the crap you hear on the TV broadcast.

Message was edited by: junk yard tiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 10:42 AM

I used to laugh at my 85 year old father for muting all the Clemson games because the announcers always pissed him off, now I do the same thing for just about all of them.Go Tigers, beat the Canes!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2024, 9:15 AM

tigerfed said:

I used to laugh at my 85 year old father for muting all the Clemson games because the announcers always pissed him off, now I do the same thing for just about all of them.Go Tigers, beat the Canes!

I've done it for years and will keep doing so....I do sub with the Clemson radio team..I like biased broadcast

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 11:18 AM

I will still follow but at a distance.

May 22, 2024, 11:27 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

May 22, 2024, 12:10 PM

I'm following...

Re: I Bet She Is A Dawg ---

May 22, 2024, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

She is wearing red for bouncing... I mean crying out loud.

May 22, 2024, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

That's somebody's daughter!

May 22, 2024, 1:36 PM

Good point. We should thank them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

May 22, 2024, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

UR mom was somebody's daughter too, so how did you get here? lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's some serious aerodynamic airflow going on here

May 22, 2024, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

That or some serious pec muscle control. Either way ... a worthwhile exercise for some young Clemson engineer to take on ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

~JKB

May 23, 2024, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

Twenty minutes later I finally scrolled past your meme. I was mesmerized by those “exercises” she was doing.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2024, 10:23 AM

I thought the car needed shocks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations!

May 23, 2024, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I've decided to stop keeping up with recruiting. ]

You just won an all expense paid trip to … Jamaica!

Class of '87

Hard To Keep Up With TBH

May 22, 2024, 12:33 PM

Often, people don't follow teams in the NFL often people follow players to the NFL.

Folks on TNET for the last couple seasons have just been good "fodder" about players Clemson supposedly "missed out on"! A year maybe 2 years later that same player is hitting the portal. After not contributing to a mediocore roster out there somewhere.
Used to be if you followed a players "story" into college you rooted for them to make it. But now, they change helmets so often(yeah, helmets not schools. Did they really care about the school). It's hard to keep up with; and I can't blame people for being disgusted.

The powers that be had better take a lesson from MLB. It took MLB years to come back from one particular lockout/strike. Not the exact same thing here; but people will get disgusted enough about all the money being thrown around and non-loyal Coaches and players movement they could "throw their hands up and be done with CFB as well"!

Many people have already started to distance themselves. Right now! Right now, you can't tell because the sport is still huge. But, give it time and give it more and more disgracing examples and see if it continues long term!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard To Keep Up With TBH

May 22, 2024, 1:44 PM

I think CFB is going to be more popular than ever in the future. It may 5-10 years to explode the growth, but as long as there are 20 top tier teams to follow, it will be popular.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 2:41 PM

Not until player and coaches loyalty comes back... Only then will fan loyalty be strong again.

May 22, 2024, 6:10 PM

Coaches have always left one school for another and most often for more money. The players from the past you probably brand as loyal, didn't pursue money because they couldn't. They were no more noble than players from today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 8:49 PM

let's get back to 'student' athlete. You know, the real reason for school. Yeah, we know, uga has never been about football players graduating. Just check their latest sub 50% rate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard To Keep Up With TBH ]

I think CFB is going to be more popular than ever in the future. It may 5-10 years to explode the growth, but as long as there are 20 top tier teams to follow, it will be popular.

junk yard tiger® I'm not saying you are wrong. I am just saying; I can easily see it "not playing out like that"!

People call it, "NFL-like with the concept of just 20 teams"! To be the big difference there is; people have their own college team they root for. If their college team isn't one of the "few" will they still be as interested?

Now, if the NCAA adopted what I think they should adopt, "another CFB championship that excludes those schools that have the highest NIL money thus a huge advantage" then maybe.

If it's all of you other people play for 2nd fiddle and 2nd tier bowl games and "that's it"! No. I don't see it gaining in popularity at all. That's what pro football is for. And people in areas without a pro team already have their loyalties.

Take me for instance. If Clemson isn't involved with the so called big boy conference, "I wouldn't care to watch it"! I watch some other games now; because if Clemson's season goes well they maybe a future opponent. You kind of want to see how you match up.
People get turned off easily when they start talking about all the money being floated around. And pampered athletes who "get the entitled disease". Huge turnoff for what makes CFB as popular as it is: "the Novice fan"!
The ones who have to buy t-shirts when the weather is nice because they are tailgating at the game. They don't know much about the game and that's fine because they spending money. Aggravate that crowd who aren't "hardcore fans" and you will see a serious decline i.m.o.

May 22, 2024, 9:34 PM

I respect your opinion HillRock but fully disagree.

I hate the NIL and the money and all that comes with the game now. I’m 34 so I’m still younger and even I hate the way it is now BUT…

College football is more popular than ever and will only continue to increase in eyeballs and popularity. Those that say they won’t watch or go to games anymore that’s totally fine bc I promise they’re another 1000 waiting behind you to watch or get tickets.

No matter how much money is thrown around people are going to show up and/or turn on the TV bc it’s football. Football is king… especially in the south so it’s not going anywhere.

People can hate it and disagree til the cows come home and it’s not going to matter. They will break TV ratings records this coming season with the 12 team playoff and they know it. That’s why the increase to 12 and soon it will go to 16 and on and on eventually becoming somewhat similar to march madness bc they’ll realize theirs money to be made.

Again… people can like it/not like it or b*tch and complain all they want but the bottom line is… for every 100 that quit going or quit watching… they’re another 1000 just waiting behind them. This is how it is now and honestly it will fix itself eventually if the powers that be don’t level the playing field first.

Even all that oil money at A&M will eventually get tired of spending and watching the ROI be nothing. It’s not sustainable the way it is now and eventually even the wealthiest donors will start being tighter with the checkbook when they’re consistently not getting their moneys worth from kids who have never played a down of college football if their freshman or from transfers that have a big name but transfer and don’t play up to the hype.

It’s just the way it is now. If people want to be stubborn and not watch or attend then go ahead bc you’re only hurting yourself by taking away something you love to do. I can promise you none of these teams or networks will miss you bc again… they’re more waiting behind you.

So the best thing all of us can do is accept it and understand this is the way it’s going to be so either get with it or get going.

May 23, 2024, 11:39 AM

You’re completely missing the point about “loving” college football. A lot of us DO NOT love what it is becoming, and will ultimately turn away from it simply because it lacks the qualities we cared about. I’m speaking for people like me of course, and maybe new fans will replace us, but we won’t be deliberately denying ourselves something we love - it simply won’t be there anymore.

I think there are many who feel this way.

May 23, 2024, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard To Keep Up With TBH ]

TigerRag4416 As someone else said, "you are referring to right now in terms of the popularity of CFB"!
I am referring to way down the road! So, to be clear, I am not stating I am not currently watching it; but more the direction it's headed is going to lead people away.

You say, there will be people to replace people like me who do not watch. I think you need to perhaps look at examples like: Toy'R'US, Blockbuster Video, Sears, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc.

Those companies didn't see: "the writing on the wall either"! And, where are they now?

Who would have ever thought that Movie Theatres would struggle like they are now! People have found out they like watching brand new movies at their home. Will it ever go back to how it was? Maybe, but not likely.

When people find other things to spend their disposable cash( who has any of that anyway ) a bunch of this drama will show itself.

Again, when you are saying, only a handful of teams have a shot at the title due to something that has nothing to do with FOOTBALL(((how much money they have))). People don't have a: "Vested Interest" in it. That vested interest is why I watch now, but slowly but surely even big games are not the end of the world if I miss it. It could be an "age thing too"! However TigerRag4416, I can say many of the young people I am around don't take the same interest in the sport the way we did.

So, looking at who's buying tickets and jersey's now( 2024) isn't going to give you the answer! I am saying taking into account how much or lack of interest many younger people have in CFB vs. their older "Paying" counterparts would be something the power brokers need to keep an eye on. Not a guarantee - because I of course could be way off with what I am saying. But, too many people are starting to head to the exits as the sport becomes "he who has the deepest pockets" and not: "who builds the best team"!

May 26, 2024, 3:25 PM

Fair enough if that’s your response and opinion.

I’m not missing the point at all. I understand you mean down the road. You referenced Blockbuster and others but they weren’t in the same stratosphere as college football.

College football is a monster and it’s not going anywhere. For every person that’s older or your generation that leaves the kids growing up in this era of NIL… it will be normal to them. Most don’t like it bc it’s radical change. But the kids growing up in this new era will be the norm for them.

Hence my point… for every one of the older generation that leave… they’ll be another 1000 from this new norm that will gladly attend. Even if attendance falls… as long as the eyeballs are on the TV the powers that be aren’t going to care bc that’s still taking in the dough.

With a 12 team playoff… eyeballs will be glued to the set more than ever and as it expands so will the eyeballs.

Yall also aren’t taking into account the legal gambling now. Fantasy sports as well. They’re always going to be people who don’t care a lick about the games but will still show up or watch bc they have money on it or they have a player on their fantasy team.

It’s not going anywhere and will only continue to grow in popularity. As the other poster stated… “it’s not what we love anymore”… again that’s fine and I’m not even saying you’re wrong but I am saying you only dislike it bc it wasn’t what you grew up knowing but this generation and the next and the next it will be the norm. More and more will continue to go and/or watch from home.

May 23, 2024, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Hard To Keep Up With TBH ]

You just need to look at how being focused on being a paid free agent destroyed basketball and lost millions of fans. Viewership of basketball is down by 50% since Jordan. The kids became pro-s right out of highschool and generations of B-Ball fans drifted away. I was a rabid basketball fan during the years when players like Jordan, Bird, Sampson, Olajuan, and Barkley lit up college basketball courts all the way to being seniors. Now before you can get to know any of them they are off to the pro's where they hop team to team...no point in following colleges or NFL teams anymore. The people change too much so it's not fun to be a fan...I mean what are you being a fan of? The Celtics team you saw last week will likely not be the same one at the end of the season...it certainly won't be the same team next season.
Football is going the same way. I don't know if its true or not but I heard the average age of an NFL fan is almost 50 years old. The average hockey fan is 50, the average baseball fan is 53. The drop off in being fans has some to do with people playing video games as a past time instead of sports, but it also has to do with free agency destroying the REASON to be a fan.

May 23, 2024, 12:39 PM

At least in the Pros, there are rules around free agency. And, people aren't signing up to spend quality time following teams that have no shot of one day winning the Super Bowl.

I can care less about Big 10 or Big 12 rivalry games, for example. But, I would watch Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore in the NFL b/c it's a division game and it's always intense.
College-wise I am more about teams from my region. I love to see Clemson do great. I like SC State, Furman, The Citadel, Coastal, Charleston Southern and Wofford. But, outside of Clemson, I don't travel to Florida to see those other squads or spend money on them.
A league for people who do not have a "vested interest" in the champion because they got "priced out" similarly will no doubt lead to disinterest.

May 22, 2024, 4:45 PM

I didn't intentionally but it has happened. The days of hanging on hitting F5 on NSD is long gone! Once they show up on campus then I will learn what I need to know, wasted energy nowadays.

May 22, 2024, 6:12 PM

I feel ya bruh...

https://youtu.be/kBFcsnsn3VE?si=Fcy03DNBvtnFVrkm

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 6:22 PM

I also done that. My life is much more meaningful without all the drama and anxiety 🤣. Good call man

May 22, 2024, 6:59 PM

I will always follow recruiting..However, I have tuned out the coaches the past 3 or 4 years when they discuss spring and camp...I couldn't take the constant overhype of a particular player only for them to be trash...Particularly the WRs...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

May 22, 2024, 9:51 PM

Pig, you said exactly what I've been thinking for several weeks. I'm going to watch the games and pull for the Tigers. That's all I need.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 22, 2024, 10:34 PM

Yea it’s driving me away and I would not believe in a million years I would ever say that.

At least the NFL has some type of rules that they must follow. College is whomever has the deepest pockets with no worry of a salary cap.

It’s really a bad joke if you sit back and really think about it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Frankly, I might glance at recruiting news occasionally,

May 23, 2024, 6:40 AM

but I've never dwelt on it.

Other interests, including work and outdoor actvities, take up most of my time to the point that I try to put all the hoopla in perspective and simply wait for football season to start.

Makes life a whole lot less complicated, for me at least.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frankly, I might glance at recruiting news occasionally,

May 23, 2024, 8:59 AM

Agreed... thanks for that perspective.

I hope you're enjoying your retirement, thus far. My younger

May 23, 2024, 10:07 AM

brothers and their wives, all of whom who have retired have been living i8t up, so to speak. I'm happy for them, because if they weren't thusly engaged, I might have to do so! LOL

Re: I hope you're enjoying your retirement, thus far. My younger

May 23, 2024, 11:09 AM

Yep... My wife and I are having a great time. Our health is good, so we're doing as much as possible right now. Just got back from London and Paris with my son who just graduated from Clemson. Next is Cancun in October. It's tough being an American...

May 23, 2024, 7:24 AM

I've decided to stop tracking who is keeping up with recruiting. But thank you for the important update Pig.

May 23, 2024, 8:51 AM

Agreed. Collegiate amateur sports died. College is now the NFL development league. There’s no loyalty or seeing a commitment through. Sad times we live in.

The only positive is that NCAA football 2025 is coming soon! Been waiting since 2011 to play that franchise again. O’bannon vs NCAA killed the game and started us down this slippery slope we’re on with NIL. I can’t wait to build my personal Clemson roster and win 20 natty’s in a row.

Yeah I used to check ESPN.com CFB front page. Now it's just a sewer.***

May 23, 2024, 10:13 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2024, 11:51 AM

While I agree with what you said entirely, I am based enough to admit the reason it sucks so bad for Tiger fans is because we have a coach who doesn’t play the game like literally ALL the others do.

May 23, 2024, 12:13 PM

Clemson never recruits the way everyone else does (even before NIL and portal).

May 23, 2024, 6:49 PM

I stopped long before NIL. The whims of indecisive 17 and 18 year olds are not worth following.

May 24, 2024, 8:23 AM

It unites the former fans.....but sad.

Replies: 45
| visibility 3694
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic