Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Somebody told me that today is National Barbecue Day, but when I looked into it,
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 10
| visibility 559

Somebody told me that today is National Barbecue Day, but when I looked into it,

May 16, 2024, 5:46 PM

I discovered the moniker must have been thus attributed by a Yankee somewhur.

They intended “barbecue” to mean the little event that families might hold in the backyard on a summer day, which is correctly termed “cookout.”

A pointed discussion necessarily followed, wherein all parties were made to understand that “barbecue” is, in fact, a meat, not a party, and certainly not a grill.

Watch ‘em closely, Tigers…

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Re: Somebody told me that today is National Barbecue Day, but when I looked into it,

May 16, 2024, 6:04 PM

I've spent many years up yonder in the north country, this is indeed true.

They have no idea about authentic whole hog barbeque cooked low 'n slow over wood coals.

Brown's bbq of Kingstree and Scott's of Hemingway remain two of my favorites. I am biased towards the hot pepper vinegar sauces found in the coastal plains region.... but there's great bbq throughout the state and it ain't too hard to find.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somebody told me that today is National Barbecue Day, but when I looked into it,

May 17, 2024, 2:22 PM

It’s amazing how excited Northeasterners get about bad pulled pork. That frozen, mealy, Manwich-style crap is pitiful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

35 years ago or more, Mrs. Spud and I went to Boston and rented a car to

May 17, 2024, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Somebody told me that today is National Barbecue Day, but when I looked into it, ]

drive up the coast to stay in assorted B and Bs..Anyway, we stayed in Boston the first night and I ordered a steak,baked potato,salad and tea. Well sirs, my ignorant self just about croaked when they brought my steak and a coffee cup and a small silver coffee pot......I said to the waiter," I beg your pardon, but I ordered tea.......".....I was quickly educated that, it WAS tea....HOT TEA.....I have not been back......

Spud

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking as a Texan, this is a grievous offense.

May 16, 2024, 7:05 PM

I have no beef (no pun) with the people of the North and embrace many as friends and neighbors.

But.

Barbecue is just too sacred a thing to misclassify and to do so runs dangerously close to the sin of blasphemy or even drinking whiskey with store-bought ice.

For a long time I spent a lot of time in Austin for my job and of course if you spend enough time in Austin and aren't a sorry sucker then eventually somebody'll clue you in to a little place over yonder called Lockhart, Texas.

And Lockhart, Texas is to barbecue as Paris is to escargot without the gag reflex of course.

Smitty's.
Kreutz's.
Black's.

The holy Trinity of Texas-style (post oak) brisket and beef ribs and pickled jalapenos and good cold beer to warsh it all down. Where asking for a little sauce to dip it in'll get you a sideways glare.

So when someone from up there calls ground chuck patties on a Weber grill "barbecue," well, I start wondering whether civilization has indeed taken a dogleg turn for the worse.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry my friend but barbecue comes from a hog

May 16, 2024, 7:14 PM

Brisket, beef ribs, tri tip are smoked beef.

And I love them all, good brisket is one of the best things you can put in your mouth but it ain’t pork.

We’ve been cooking bbq since Texas was still part of the Spanish Empire

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I do enjoy good pork ribs.

May 17, 2024, 7:30 AM

They're easier on the palette and the wallet than brisket, which is usually overpriced and over cooked unless you're enjoying it at one of the three locations named above.

Salt Lick out in Driftwood, Texas does a fair job of it too I guess, and Lewis BBQ here in GVL will do in a pinch if you don't mind overpaying for it.

And of course the whole point of smoking brisket is to elevate the quality of what is an inferior cut of beef. It's much harder to get brisket right than a pork butt.

But to your historical quip:

Columbus delivered the first herd of cattle to what would later become the Republic of Texas way back in the late 1400s.

So it's likely that by the time the colonists were awakening to the gastronomical joys of burying/baking their pigs, Texians had been slow-roasting their tough-as-shoe-leather beef sides for a century or so.

Re: Sorry my friend but barbecue comes from a hog

May 17, 2024, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Sorry my friend but barbecue comes from a hog ]

I’ve heard chatter among historians that BBQ pork as we understand it actually originated in the SC Lowcountry and not further north where the initial American colonial settlements were. Got any wisdom on that point?

GO TIGERS

As far as I can tell

May 17, 2024, 6:30 PM

Southern barbecue history is multi-faceted and highly regionalized.

In the Carolinas, seems French and German immigrants had a hand in shaping what it has become.
But I have no idea if that information comes from primary sources or secondary ones.

Out in Texas, looks like I was wrong about when barbecue came on the scene (apologies to cu85tiger®) -- looks like Texans didn't really get things started in earnest until the early 1800s, although cattle was on the scene a while earlier.

All sources seem to indicate pork barbecue as a concept originated in the Caribbean somewhere and was of course discovered by the explorers who brought it (barbacoa) with them to the continent.

Re: Sorry my friend but barbecue comes from a hog

May 17, 2024, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Sorry my friend but barbecue comes from a hog ]

I want my "BBQ" to be pulled pork. Not chopped pork. Not pulled beef.

I do love some tri-tip. I think I prefer beef brisket to all three.

May 17, 2024, 2:26 PM

#@$% YANKEES!

GO TIGERS!!!

Replies: 10
| visibility 559
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next