Clemson Baseball preview vs. Gamecocks
The Tigers face South Carolina three times this weekend at three different sites in their annual rivalry series.
• Who - South Carolina (6-3) vs. Clemson (6-2)
• Rankings - USC - No. 5 BA, No. 13 CB, No. 4 USA; CU - No. 15 BA, No. 22 CB, No. 12 USA
• When - Friday (6:30 p.m.), Saturday (1 p.m.), Sunday (1:30 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C., (Doug Kingsmore Stadium) Friday; Greenville, S.C., (Fluor Field) Saturday; Columbia, S.C., (Founders Park) Sunday
• Watch - ACC Network Extra (Friday), SEC Network+ (Sunday)
• TV Announcers - Marty Clary & Roy Philpott (Friday); Burch Antley & Trey Dyson (Sunday)
• Listen - TigerCast, Clemson Tiger Sports Network
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - ClemsonBaseball
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
REEDY RIVER RIVALRY TAILGATE PARTY
• The Reedy River Rivalry Tailgate Party, which opens Saturday at 11 a.m., is on Main Street at Fluor Field.
• Food, drinks and interactive exhibits for fans of all ages can be found on Main Street all day on Saturday.
• There will be live music from Cassidy Lynn and Two Story Road until 7 p.m., on Saturday.
• The Clemson station features a drawing for a premium gift, schedule cards, posters, IPTAY information, interactive games and giveaways.
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 174-136-2 (1899-2016)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 98-44 (1907-2016)
• Record at Neutral - South Carolina leads 10-9 (1899-2016)
• Record at South Carolina - South Carolina leads 82-67-2 (1900-2016)
• South Carolina is Clemson’s most-common opponent in history, as the two have faced off 312 times dating to 1899.
• The two have met at least one time every year since 1945, with the exception of 1984.
• Clemson leads the series 51-27 at Doug Kingsmore Stadium (opened in 1970).
• South Carolina leads the series 4-2 at Fluor Field (opened 2006). The first game there between the two teams was 2010.
• South Carolina leads the series 8-3 at Founders Park (opened in 2009).
• Clemson defeated Wofford 9-2 at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Tuesday and has won five games in a row.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.1 runs per game and hitting .302 with a .411 on-base percentage and six steals.
• The pitching staff has a 2.96 ERA, .239 opponents’ batting average and 6.60 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .977.
SOUTH CAROLINA OVERVIEW
• South Carolina is led by fifth-year head coach Chad Holbrook.
• The Gamecocks downed Appalachian State 8-4 on Tuesday. They are hitting .280 and have a 2.56 ERA and .974 fielding percentage.
• Matt Williams is hitting a team-high .381, while Jacob Olson is batting .333 with three homers and six RBIs.
• Clemson has won each of the last two regular-season series against South Carolina with a 2-1 record.
• Clemson is the designated visiting team and will occupy the third-base dugout for Saturday’s game at Fluor Field.
• Tiger graduate righthander Tyler Jackson was a member of the 2013 South Carolina team before playing at USC Lancaster and USC Upstate.
TIGERS AT FLUOR FIELD
• Clemson has a 19-6 all-time record at Fluor Field in Greenville, S.C.
• The Tigers have outscored the opposition 203-103 at Fluor Field, an average score of 8.1-4.1.
• The only teams to defeat Clemson at Fluor Field are South Carolina (2010,11,14,15), Presbyterian College (2011) and Michigan State (2015).
BOB BRADLEY AWARD PRESENTED SUNDAY
• Clemson’s MVP of the South Carolina series is presented the Bob Bradley Award. The Gamecocks’ MVP receives the Tom Price Award.
• The two late athletic communications directors served as baseball contacts for their respective schools for decades.
• Clemson is averaging 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings pitched this season thanks to 99 strikeouts in 76.0 innings pitched.
• The school record for strikeouts per nine innings pitched is 9.69, set by the 1996 squad that featured Kris Benson and Billy Koch.
• Tiger pitchers have totaled double-digit strikeouts in seven of the eight games in 2017.
• Charlie Barnes, Ryley Gilliam and Brooks Crawford had a school-record 23 strikeouts in the 1-0 victory over Elon in 13 innings on Feb. 24.
• The Tigers have allowed just 15 walks, good for a 6.60 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The school record in that category is 3.16, set in 1996.
• Gilliam (14-0), Crawford (7-0), Barnes (17-1), Alex Eubanks (13-1) and Jacob Hennessy (14-2) all have outstanding strikeout-to-walk ratios.