Quick notes from Dabo Swinney press conference
* Dabo SwinneyDabo Swinney
View Full Profile said "big challenge this week" against Maryland. They are 5-2 and having a good season. They need 1 more to be bowl eligible. They had a huge win against WVU. They are coming off a tough loss last game. They are undefeated at home. They are a different team at home.
* Maryland has a lot of injuries. There are a lot of question marks. There are some unknowns from a personal standpoint. We will have to wait later in the week to find out. Defensively, they have a good scheme. Only 3 yards giving up on the run. They have a very solid group.
* #16 really hurt us last year. He did not have his best game last week against Wake Forest. They have two good running backs. They have a good punter, kicker. They have a good return man.
* Our guys are eager to play again. Anytime you lose a ball game, we wish we can play again soon. We have to wait a whole week. Big opportunity to get a seventh win. Seventh in a row on the road would be a great achievement.
* Proud of our team on how they have responded. Everyone is taking accountability.
* "Let's major in the minor's this week." Things such as footwork, stance, and ball security. The little things turn into big things.
* Need to find 11 guys who consistently do their jobs, but that doesn't matter if you turn the ball over four times.
* "Maybe a little over the top" when Chad Morris said Brandon Thomas was the only one that played well against FSU.
* Norton, Seckinger, Humphries and Watkins are some of the guys who have been playing well.
* Dabo reminds everyone that Clemson is 17-3 in last 20 games, all three losses to top 10 teams. "We will get it fixed and play better."
* "Let's get back to the basics, the fundamentals." That is what we have been messing up with. 3 times on the exchanges against BC.
* We are not doing a good job in the redzone. "I don't really care who scores, to be honest with you. As long as we score." We have missed some big opportunities.
* "Nobody cares more than these players." They are the ones that put all the work in.
* Dabo says if Clemson played FSU ten times, Clemson would win five and FSU would win five.
* "They aren't that much better than us and we certainy ain't that bad of a football team," No doubt about that.
* They might be the best team in the country. They do not have a lot of weaknesses.
* "It was all bad." You suck it up and take the accountability. We have to play tougher and smarter and take care of the football.
* Dabo says Cordrea Tankersley will get a look at corner this week. He is excited to see what he can do. He is one of the fastest players on the team. Breeland is out for the first half of the Maryland game.
* FSU was just one game and you can't sit and fret and pout about it. End of the day, we are still a #10 football team. "We've handled success well and handled our setbacks well."
* Clemson still has a chance at back-to-back 11-win seasons for the first time in its history.
* "This is college football where the unthinkable happens. Who knows what can happen."
* "Every game matters."
* It hurt us losing Charone. He was not good as a freshman. He was really poised to have a great year. It hurt us. He is great player. He is the fastest player on the team. We are really pleased with Mike Williams. He had his worse game against FSU. It we had Peake, it would be a different situation. Everyone has injuries, look at the team we are about to play. They have lost two great WR's last week. Look at Georgia. We have plenty of good players. There is no excuses. None.
* DE Kevin Dodd out and DT Carlos Watkins is also out for MD game.
* On Brownell: "We've got a great coach and we need to help him" on hoop facility upgrades.
* On leadership meeting on Sunday. "All you can do is respond." "Tajh Boyd will respond. You can bet on that."
* On Boyd and gambling rumor: Swinney said he has no knowledge of that. I have no reason not to believe Tajh.
|Send Feedback to TigerNet Staff: Email | Comment||