Notes from Swinney's weekly press conference for FSU
|2014-09-16 11:10:55.0- -||
Live updates from Swinney's weekly press conference for FSU
- Huge challenge to head to Tallahassee to take on the No. 1 team but also a great opportunity.
- Their offensive line is as good as there is out there. All seniors.
- Swinney says Clemson DL vs FSU OL is a great matchup.
- Winston is "a great player, really doesn't have any weaknesses."
- They play three running backs and all of them are dangerous.
- Says TE Nick O'Leary hurt Clemson last year, great football player. Use him in running and passing game
- (With the receivers) It all starts with No. 80 [Rashad Greene]. He is a great player.... He has a chance to set every record for Florida State and they have had some great receivers down there.
- As good of a secondary that we will see all year. Really talented and deep.
- Not a lot of weakness when you look at Florida State.
- To beat FSU: "We have to find a way to create turnovers, win the big play margin.....Our best players have to play well."
- Swinney said the most disappointing part about last year's game with FSU was his team didn't respond to adversity very well.
- Swinney said that they have beaten everybody but FSU and South Carolina. Clemson finished 7th in poll but their two rivals finished ahead of the Tigers and "that puts a damper on the mood."
- On FSU Championship: "I was tomahawk chopping in the national championship game...two-handed."
- On statement last year that Clemson would win 5 out of 10 against FSU if they played 10 times. "I can't give an honest answer without getting my butt ripped."
- "After two games, I don't know where we are. I think we're pretty good. If we win, we're 2-1. But there's a bunch of games left."
- "We lose this game we'll probably have a lot of fans quit and want to call the season off, but not this guy"
- On Winston: "You tip your hat off to him" (on beating Clemson at Death Valley).
- "Ya'll (media) see us as underdogs, but we don’t see us as underdogs. Why are we underdogs? We’ve got a good team."
- "We are very blessed at the quarterback position."
- Swinney on Stoudt: "He earned the job." This is a team concept. He paid the price. Fan just see a glimpse of something. You can't just make a guy a starter on potential. You have to earn things.
- Swinney on Watson: Deshaun has not won the job yet. I'm not afraid to start a freshman.
- Its a constant evaluation (on the QB position).
- Swinney: “If things don’t go right, just blame Dabo."
-Jayron Kearse trained him up at several spots but he is our starting safety.
- "We are at our best when we play fast."
- Winston is even more confident this year. He is mentally tough. He is physically tough. He is a smart player. He makes some plays that you have to tip your hat to.
- Swinney on Winston: "I have a great respect for Winston as a football player."
- "We have to win in the trenches."
- Swinney said domestic violence is not a football problem. Its a society problem.
- "Football is a reflection of society. Period."
|Send Feedback to Tony Crumpton: Email | Comment||