Clemson Basketball preview vs. South Carolina
|Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:15 AM-|
CLEMSON (8-2) vs. SOUTH CAROLINA (9-1)
Tipoff: 9 p.m. ET
Arena: Colonial Life Arena (18,000)
Radio: CTSN (Tony Castricone-pbp; Tim Bourret-color)
TV: ESPNU (Kevin Fitzgerald-pbp; Chris Spatola-color)
• Clemson enters Wednesday's contest on a six-game winning streak. The Tigers are 2-0 against SEC competition so far this season, recording wins over Georgia and Alabama.
• Clemson has 27 wins at South Carolina (second-most road wins over any opponent in program history), including most recently in 2012-13 behind 16 points and five blocks from K.J. McDaniels.
• The Tigers are in search of their first win over a top-25 Gamecock team since 1997-98, when Clemson won 62-57 in Littlejohn Coliseum.
CU Series W-L record: South Carolina leads 90-76
Streak: South Carolina has won the last two meetings
• Clemson faces one of the country's stingiest defenses in South Carolina. The Gamecocks are third nationally in field goal percentage defense (.346) and fourth in scoring defense (57.7). The Tigers are fifth in the NCAA in turnover margin (+6.3) and 10th in fewest turnovers per game (10.2).
• Shelton Mitchell scored a career-high 18 points in the win over Alabama, with an efficient shooting effort of 6-10 field goals and 4-4 free throws.
• Gabe DeVoe has a streak of 10 straight games with at least one three-point goal to open the 2016-17 season, the longest of his career.
• Jaron Blossomgame needs 17 points to pass Larry Nance for 17th on Clemson's all-time scoring list. Nance played 12 seasons in the NBA.
• Elijah Thomas made his Clemson debut against the Crimson Tide, chipping in five points and three rebounds in 11 minutes.
• Associate head coach Mike Winiecki was named to the Richmond Athletics Hall of Fame class of 2017. Winiecki scored over 1,000 points and was part of two NCAA Tournament teams for the Spiders.