- This will be South Carolina State's fourth game of the season. The Bulldogs lost their opener to New Mexico by a 56-47 score on November 18, then defeated Southern Utah, 66-59 on the 19th, before losing to Mississippi, 71-47 on the 20th.
- This will be the eighth meeting between Clemson and South Carolina State. The Tigers hold a 6-1 lead in the series that dates to a 93-70 Clemson victory in the 1988-89 season. South Carolina State gained its only victory over the Tigers during the 1999-00 season by a 71-68 score. In fact, the last two meetings between the two teams have been decided by three points. Clemson won the last meeting by a 77-74 score in 2003-04, Oliver Purnell's first year as Clemson head coach.
- This will be the third of three games against MEAC teams to open the season for Clemson. The Tigers are 20-1 lifetime against MEAC school. Clemson's only loss to a MEAC school was South Carolina State's win at Clemson in 1999-00.
- Clemson is coming off a 102-71 win over Coppin State. That was Clemson's first 100-point game since a 100-86 overtime triumph in 2003-04, Oliver Purnell's first year. It marked the first time Clemson has scored 100 points in regulation since a 111-108 loss to Georgia Tech in 2000-01.
Clemson has been a balanced team offensively over the first two games. The Tigers have six players averaging in double figures over the first two games. Shawan Robinson, Clemson's leading returning scorer from last year, leads the club with a 14.0 average. Robinson had two more three-point goals against Coppin State and is now 6-11 for the season. He is tied for 4th in Clemson history with Andrius Jurkunas in three-point goals with 146.
- "Energy Brothers" James Mays and Sam Perry are two of Clemson's six players averaging in double figures so far this year. Perry tied his career high in scoring with 14 points in the opener against Bethune Cookman, then Mays scored his career high in the win over Coppin State when he scored 18 points. Mays had a career high 14 rebounds in the opener.
- Akin Akingbala is coming off his best performance as a Clemson Tiger. He established career highs in scoring (19) and rebounds (14) in the win over Coppin State. He achieved that in just 24 minutes.
- Vernon Hamilton (15), Akin Akingbala (19) and James Mays (18) combined for 52 points in the win over Coppin State. They averaged a combined 17 points per game last year.
- Clemson had 30 assists in the victory over Coppin State. That was the most assists by a Clemson team since the Tigers had 31 in a win over Youngstown State during the 1988-89 season.