Bowden's Tenure Enters New Territory
Today's college game means more pressure and less stability for coaches. When coaches are hired they always talk about five-year plans but few are at a school that long. Tommy Bowden is entering his sixth season at Clemson and it looks like several more will follow. This kind of stability is hard to come by in today's environment. Consider these interesting facts:
1. Tommy Bowden has the third longest tenure of any head coach in the ACC. Bobby Bowden enters his 29th year. Frank Beamer enters his 18th year. Only two coaches in the SEC have had a longer run. Phil Fulmer enters his 13th year and Houston Nutt enters his 7th campaign.
2. Of the 117 Division I-A schools only 33 schools have had coaches who have been at their schools longer than Tommy Bowden has been at Clemson.
3. Only three coaches have been the head coach in more games at Clemson than Bowden (Howard 295, Ford 129, Neely 85). Bowden has been the head coach at Clemson for 62 games.
4. Only three coaches have won more games as the head coach of the Tigers. Howard won 165 games, Ford 96 games, Neely 43 and Bowden 38.
5. The game is full of turnover. Only 15 coaches at the 117 Division I-A schools are entering their 10th or more year at their school. As Bowden continues to build, he and Clemson hope to be part of that list in a few short years.