CLEMSON -- Clemson head football coach Tommy Bowden was available to the media by teleconference on Monday to discuss the the loss to South Carolina.
Listen to the full teleconference here: Tommy Bowden, Windows Media, (13:09)
Quick Notes and Quotes from Tommy Bowden's Monday afternoon media teleconference:
- Since Saturday, went to church then had recruiting meetings. Pretty much normal, other than I didn't watch sports.
- Film: Didn't tackle real well on defense. They only had to punt once, had almost 500 yards total offense. Those are the biggest things that stood out.
- Merriweather: James Davis, over the course of the year, had been our best runner. C.J. had been coming on fast. That's the way it had unfolded over the course of the season. James is a good goal-line runner...Reggie ran three plays on the last drive. Right now he's like a second team quarterback. He's a crowd favorite. Tried to get the most productive player on the field over the course of the season. That was James.
- Fans chanting for Reggie: I heard a long time ago that coaches who listen to fans usually end up setting beside them.
- We want to go to a bowl where we can play the highest ranked opponent. If asked, I'd make a recommendation.
- Davis: He's been banged up some, but I think he was 100 percent this game.
- Last pass: I made the call. Ran it twice, on the third I wanted to try to win it...They brought six on five and got the sack. Jad's got the leg to make that kick. He's a veteran guy who's been in that situation before.
- The play called required a fake and then a throw. Had Will recognized the coverage, he was to abort the fake and throw it over the head of a receiver for an incompletion.
- Bowl games: Players are usually highly motivated.
- Spiller has an ankle sprain. Think he'll be okay for the bowl.
- Didn't think they made the first down on the fourth-down run. Never considered challenging.
- Bowl destination: Probably won't know until Sunday.