Tommy Bowden Monday Teleconference
CLEMSON -- Clemson head football coach Tommy Bowden was available to the media by teleconference on Monday to discuss the win over NCSU and the upcoming game against USC.
Tommy Bowden, Windows Media, (18:01)
Quick notes and quotes from Tommy Bowden's Monday teleconference:
- We'll start game-planning right now for South Carolina. I plan on practicing Tuesday-Thursday, and giving them Friday-Sunday off. Bye week this late means we won't practice as hard as we would had it been in the middle of the season. Time and dates would have been the same.
- More of a mental strain than anything. There's a physical strain, sure, but the mental strain is there as well.
- Thanksgiving Day: We'll practice in the morning, have Thanksgiving Dinner around noon with the team and family, and give them the rest of the afternoon off.
- Extra time to heal as important as extra time to prepare. Don't know if one that's greater than the other. Maybe from the player's standpoint, the open day is most important.
- N.C. State game tape: You know you're going to be in for a fight. We were already bowl eligible, they had to win it to be bowl eligible. They're very talented. I was very pleased to come out with a win.
- More concerned about winning the USC game right now than where we end up come bowl time. That's the one (USC) that I have to live with year round.
- 12-game schedule: I don't like it. I don't know one coach that likes it. I don't know one player that likes it. I think the only people who like it are the school presidents because they make money off of it.
- I think we can eventually get the "bowl plus one" with the bowl structure the way it is.
- USC: Their defense is playing lights out, and they gained 400-some yards against a team (Florida) twice as talented...I'm expecting an extremely tight game.
- Injury update: Brandon Cannon's knee just sprained and should be able to play in the USC game.
- Spurrier and Holtz: Both championship coaches, both bowl coaches. Holtz won eight and nine in their second and third years. Spurrier has a chance to win eight in his second year. Their backgrounds indicate they'd be successful.
- Florida State: Watched the first half, that's a much as I could. When you see a certain expression on your father's face, you know what it means...I think he's as resolute as ever in that he knows what he wants to do.
- Butch Davis: Would be third ex-pro head coach in the conference. Elevates the difficulty.