CLEMSON – According to Clemson sports information director Tim Bourret, senior linebackers Kelvin Morris and Brandon Jamison have been ruled academically ineligible for the 2003 football season. Both players hope to regain their eligibility for the 2004 season.
Morris suffered a serious knee injury during spring practice which had already left him questionable for the 2003 season. Before the injury he was slated to move into a starting linebacker position after serving as a reserve behind Altroy Bodrick last season.
Morris had 44 tackles for the season, including a season high 13 in the Tangerine Bowl. The rising senior from Timmonsville, SC played in all 13 games last year, one as a starter. He could be replaced by Eric Sampson if Tommy Bowden allows his return to the team.
Jamison had 48 total tackles last season as a reserve linebacker and could have been in line for a starting job in the fall. He had been released from the start of spring practice to get his academics in order.
Recent Losses for the Tigers:
- QB Willie Simmons transfers to Florida A&M.
- WR Ronnie Thomas transfers to Florida A&M.
- SS Charles Harper leaves program with one year eligibility left.
- OL Jermyn Chester decides to end career after knee injury.
- DB Brian Staley, a JUCO All-American corner signee, came up short academically and will have to wait one year to enroll.
- LB Kelvin Morris ruled academically ineligible for 2003 season.
- LB Brandon Jamison ruled academically ineligible for 2003 season.
- WR Roscoe Crosby left school to play baseball full time but has since reconsidered. However he will not be
eligible for 2003 season.
Current Clemson Linebacker Depth Chart
TACK 45 John Leake 6-1 225 Sr.
90 Anthony Waters 6-3 205 *Fr.
55 Nigel Vaughn 6-0 225 Jr.
MIKE 43 Leroy Hill 6-1 205 Jr.
49 Roosevelt Nelson 6-2 205 *So.
86 Charles Bennett 6-4 225 *So.
WHIP 38 Eric Sampson* 6-3 218 Jr.
11 Brian Carr 5-11 185 *Jr.
44 Lionel Richardson 6-0 197 Jr.
*pending return to team
The loss of Jamison and Morris could leave John Leake as the only linebacker left from the Tangerine Bowl two-deep depth chart. Redshirt sophomore David Dunham was moved to fullback for the spring, but it is possible he could be moved back to linebacker. Even the coach will be different as new assistant David Blackwell takes over for Jack Hines at linebacker coach.
Clemson Linebacker Depth Chart for Tangerine Bowl
LB 45 JOHN LEAKE 6-1 225 Jr.
46 Brandon Jamison 6-1 225 Jr.
LB 41 RODNEY THOMAS 6-0 225 Sr.
47 Rodney Feaster 6-0 223 Sr.
LB 48 KELVIN MORRIS 6-4 220 Jr.
31 David Dunham 6-2 215 *Fr