Clemson Commitment Looking To Bring Speed to Line
Offensive Tackle, Greenville High
6’5”, 280 pounds
Although Greenville High’s season ended with a first round playoff loss, the Red Raiders had one of the state’s most explosive offenses all season long.
Quarterback Matt Lentz had an incredible year, and a big reason for that was the play of his offensive line.
Leading that line was senior tackle David Smith. The 6’5”, 280 pound Smith paved the way for Lentz to scorch teams through the air and on the ground, and Clemson is hoping he can do the same at the college level.
Smith has already verbally committed to Clemson, choosing the Tigers over Maryland, Alabama, and Kentucky.
“I chose Clemson because the program seemed full of warm-hearted and great people,” Smith said. “I think Clemson has a very promising future, and the offense the Tigers run is very similar to what we did at Greenville.”
Smith may not be as big as a lot of offensive linemen at the college level right now, but believes that is what can help him make an impact at Clemson.
“I can bring a little more speed to the offensive line,” Smith said. “I think the quickness I have with my hands and footwork, along with my field vision, will help me make an impact at Clemson.”
Smith said he doesn’t expect to see playing time next season.
“I will more than likely red-shirt, and that is fine with me,” Smith said. “The system at Clemson is complex, and it can be nearly impossible for a freshman to come in right away and play.”
Reported 2007 Clemson Commitments
1. Mason Cloy OL 6-3 265 4.8 Columbia, SC (Spring Valley HS)
2. Scotty Cooper LB 6-0 195 4.5 Lake City, SC (Lake City HS)
3. Jo Jo Cox RB 5-9 210 4.5 Fork Union, VA
4. Chad Diehl LB 6-3 235 4.7 Duncan, SC (Byrnes HS)
5. Xavier Dye WR 6-4 215 4.5 Greenwood, SC (Greenwood HS)
6. Marcus Gilchrist DB 5-11 170 4.5 High Point, NC (Andrews HS)
7. Stanley Hunter LB 6-0 205 4.5 Duncan, SC (Byrnes HS)
8. Jarvis Jenkins DT 6-4 305 4.9 Central, SC (Daniel HS)
9. Markish Jones ATH 6-0 185 4.5 Spartanburg, SC
10. Willy Korn QB 6-2 200 4.5 Duncan, SC (Byrnes HS)
11. Brian Linthicum TE 6-5 220 4.7 Charlottesville, VA (St. Anne's-Belfield)
12. Deandre McDaniel DB 6-1 190 4.5 Tallahassee, FL
13. Rennie Moore DE 6-5 260 4.7 St. Mary's, GA (Camden Co. HS)
14. Wilson Norris OL 6-5 320 5.2 Pickens, SC (Pickens HS)
15. David Smith OT 6-5 280 4.9 Greenville, SC (Greenville HS)
16. Drew Traylor DE 6-4 225 4.7 Mountain Brook, AL (Mountain Brook HS)
17. Landon Walker OT 6-6 270 5.0 Ronda, NC (East Wilkes HS)