Bowden's Latest Class Has Few Waiting to Get In
Gaffney's Trey Tate will bring depth to the defensive line.
CLEMSON - The final eligibility status of five Clemson University football
recruits will be known as early as Friday, with the fate of a sixth to
follow shortly thereafter.
As of today, 23 of Tommy Bowden's 29 signees had met all academic
requirements mandated by the NCAA. Included in that group is Union High
School two-sport prodigy Roscoe Crosby, who is expected to start at wide
receiver for the Tigers in the fall, then play minor league baseball for
Kansas City in the spring and summer.
But two other highly-touted receivers, Tymere Zimmerman (6-foot-4, 195
pounds) of Marlboro County High School and Derick Higgins (6-2, 190) of
Lamar High School each are awaiting results of their final attempts at the
SAT, taken two weeks ago. Those results will be available Friday.
Zimmerman, according to his high school coach, Dean Boyd, was just 20 points
from making a qualifying score on his last attempt at the SAT.
Joining Higgins and Zimmerman on Friday's waiting list are:
- Defensive back Jamaal Fudge (5-10, 180), Jacksonville, Fla.;
- Running back Tye Hill (5-11, 175), St. George;
- Defensive lineman Wendell Singletary (6-6, 230), Whiteville, N.C.;
Meanwhile, Leo Reed, a 6-4, 295-pound defensive lineman from Georgetown,
recently took the ACT for the final time in hopes of obtaining a qualifying
score. It is not known when his results will be available.
Once a recruit makes a qualifying score, he still must make it through the
NCAA clearing house, then gain final approval by Clemson's admissions
Here is the full list of qualified recruits:
- DE Charles Bennett (6-4, 220), Camden;
- DB Curtis Braham Jr.(6-1, 180), New Orleans;
- WR Airese Currie (5-11, 175), Columbia;
- TE Ben Hall (6-5, 225), Welford;
- FB Clifford Harrell (6-1, 225), Tallahassee, Fla.;
- LB Leroy Hill (6-1, 215), Haddock, Ga;
- DB Tavaghn Monts (6-2, 183), Jacksonville, Fla;
- DE Rod Whipple (6-5, 220), Toomsboro, Ga;
- LB Eric Sampson (6-3, 205), Jacksonville, Fla;
- DB Travis Pugh (6-1, 180), Manning;
- LB Roosevelt Nelson (6-2, 196), Rembert;
- LB David Dunham (6-4, 210), Lake City, Fla.;
- DE Maurice "Mo" Fountain (6-4, 210), Camden;
- QB Charlie Whitehurst (6-4, 195), Duluth, Ga;
- TE Bobby Williamson (6-3, 225), Tarpon Springs, Fla.;
- DE Mark Jetton (6-4, 220), Charlotte;
- OL Grant Oliver (6-7, 275), Lexington;
- RB Micheaux Hollingsworth (5-11, 190), Shannon, N.C.;
- TE Eric Coleman (6-5, 270), Charlottesville, Va. (pending completion of a
summer school course);
- DE Trey Tate (6-4, 250), Gaffney;
- WR Roscoe Crosby (5-11, 175), Union;
- RB Kyle Browning (5-8, 165), Union;
- OL Chip Myrick (6-4, 240), Atlanta;
It's possible Clemson could have more than the NCAA maximum of 25 signees to qualify
which means some would have to enroll after this upcoming football season.
Dan Scott is the host of SportsTalk (10AM-Noon) on 104.9 FM in Upstate SC and
Managing Editor of Seneca Daily Journal/Clemson Daily Messenger