Clemson vs. Wake Forest Notes
|Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:17 PM-|
Clemson Team Notes
Chandler CatanzaroChandler Catanzaro * Clemson now holds a 59-17-1 record all-time against Wake Forest, including a 35-7 record at Clemson. The Tigers have also now won three straight against the Demon Deacons and 10 of the last 13 against Wake Forest.
RS So. Punter / Kicker
#39 6-2, 200
View Full Profile made a game-winning field goal as time expired to beat Wake Forest 31-28. It is the first time since 2007 that the Tigers have won on a last-second field goal. That season, Mark Buchholz kicked a 35-yard field goal as time expired at South Carolina to beat the Gamecocks 23-21. This is also the first time since 1948, when the stat began being tracked, that Clemson has won at home on a field goal as time expired.
Chandler CatanzaroChandler Catanzaro
* Clemson now holds a 59-17-1 record all-time against Wake Forest, including a 35-7 record at Clemson. The Tigers have also now won three straight against the Demon Deacons and 10 of the last 13 against Wake Forest.
* Clemson will finish the season with a perfect 7-0 record at home. It is the first time since 1990 that the Tigers have achieved a perfect record at home. That season, Clemson went 6-0 in Death Valley.
* With seven wins at home this season, it is just the second time that Clemson has won seven home games in a season. In 1987, Clemson went 7-1 at home. Therefore, today’s victory gives Clemson its first 7-0 home record in history.
* Today’s victory marks the seventh time in school history that Clemson has clinched an ACC Championship or a division title with a win at Clemson. In 2009, Clemson defeated Virginia, 34-21, to win the Atlantic Division title and advance to the ACC Championship game.
* Wake Forest kicker Jimmy Newman’s missed field goal in the second quarter was the first missed field goal by an opposing kicker against Clemson this season. Entering today, opposing kickers were 10-for-10 against the Tigers. Clemson was the only team in the country that had not had an opponent miss a field goal this season. Newman went on to miss another kick in the fourth quarter, so opposing kickers have missed two in a row after making 10 straight.
* Clemson finished today’s game with 522 yards of total offense. The Tigers are now 57-0-1 when gaining at least 500 yards of total offense.
*Entering this season, Clemson had overcome a deficit of 14 points or more to gain victory just nine times. Clemson has now done it three times this year. The win over Auburn at Clemson, at Maryland and now today.
Clemson Player Notes
* With his second reception of the game in the second quarter,
Sammy WatkinsSammy Watkins
Fr. Wide Receiver
#2 6-1, 200
Fort Myers, FL
View Full Profile became just the fourth player in Clemson history to tally 1000 receiving yards in a single season. Aaron Kelly was the last Clemson player to accomplish the feat when he recorded 1081 receiving yards in 2007. The only other Clemson player to record 1000 receiving yards is Rod Gardner, who did so twice. In 1999, he the Clemson single record for receiving yards with 1084 and then record 1050 receiving yards the following year in 2000.
* Watkins finished the game with five receptions for 62 yards, two rushes for 32 yards and four kickoff returns for 103 yards giving him 197 all-purpose yards for the game.
Jaron BrownJaron Brown
RS Jr. Wide Receiver
#18 6-2, 200
View Full Profile recorded a career-high six receptions for 78 yards and one touchdown. Ironically, his previous career-high in receptions came against Wake Forest in 2010 when he caught five passes.
Andre EllingtonAndre Ellington
RS Jr. Running Back
#23 5-10, 190
Moncks Corner, SC
View Full Profile rushed the ball 25 times for 98 yards giving him 2,020 rushing yards for his career. Ellington also scored two touchdowns, giving him nine for the season. In addition, Ellington had three receptions for 42 yards giving him 140 all-purpose yards for the game.
Tajh BoydTajh Boyd
RS So. Quarterback
#10 6-1, 225
View Full Profile completed 27 of 43 passes for 343 yards. Boyd now has 3,017 passing yards for the season. Boyd also threw for two touchdowns giving him 27 for the season, which ties Cullen Harper’s record of 27 touchdown passes in a season (2007).
Dwayne AllenDwayne Allen
RS Jr. Tight End
#83 6-3, 255
View Full Profile caught four passes for 48 yards in today’s game, all coming in the fourth quarter. With the 48 yards, Allen has 518 receiving yards this season, a Clemson record for receiving yards in a season by a tight end. The previous record was 507 by Michael PalmerMichael Palmer
# 6-4, 228
View Full Profile in 2009.
* After Clemson’s opening drive,
Landon WalkerLandon Walker
Gr. Offensive Tackle
#72 6-6, 305
North Wilkesboro, NC
View Full Profile became just the fifth player in Clemson history to record at least 2800 snaps for his career. He joins Kyle Young, Glenn Rountree, Charlie Whitehurst and Eric Harmon as the only other Clemson players to play at least 2800 snaps in a career.