Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Known Committments For 2009 Football Class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,435

Feb 12, 2008, 7:56 AM

Keep checking here for updates as committments add up for Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice start...kid out of Shelby even "feels" fast !!***

Feb 12, 2008, 8:20 AM

He definately has some "quicks"

Feb 17, 2018, 6:33 PM

I just wonder if he can add some bulk and not lose some speed. For that height he needs some more weight in my opinion. I watch him play a good bit on Friday nights and he's a player. Quick cuts and pure acceleration. Again, seems a little small for the D-1 competition, but with his speed it may not matter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Forgot to mention . . . he has good hands from what I've

Feb 12, 2008, 9:24 AM

witnessed as well.

J K Kay sounds like an awesome pickup for the line

Feb 12, 2008, 8:33 AM

He must live in the weight room, don't think I've ever heard of a high school junior bench pressing 400 lbs! And to have that kind of speed is fantastic. The real dilemna may be whether to play him on offense or defense.The two backs are also great pickups as JD and CJ may both be gone after this coming season. Doubt if any more runnings back will be recruited. Fantastic start to next years recruiting class!!!!

sorry- J K Jay***

Feb 12, 2008, 8:34 AM

Re: Known Committments For 2009 Football Class

Feb 12, 2008, 9:06 AM

If the Raper kid were to live up to his name, he might be more at home at USuC. 8-)

Negative ghost rider . . .

Feb 12, 2008, 9:29 AM

he's a good kid and needs to go to Clemson. Shelby High is one of the best HS football programs in the state of NC. Getting him could get us a foothold on recruiting here. They are in the State Championship about every year and occasionally have a great talent come out that usually gets picked up by NCSU or UNC. However, Clemson is closer to Shelby so we should look here more often in my opinion.

Do you live around there? Just curious...

Feb 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

Although I currently live in Atlanta, I'm from Boiling Springs NC and keep up with Crest, Shelby, and Burns HS.. I've wondered why with the football success of all the schools in cleveland county why more athletes from those schools haven't gotten more attention from out of state schools.

I live not too far away (Belmont) and have always thought

Feb 12, 2008, 9:57 AM

that that area should be fertile ground for the Tigers.(When the talent is there)

What is the drive from Shelby to Clemson, 1-1 1/2 hours. That is closer than any other major Univesity, unless youu consider Appalachain.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

If you believe in "Speed Limits"....

Feb 12, 2008, 10:42 AM

then it is between 1.5 and 2 hours to get to Clemson. Until I started looking for colleges in high school, I had no idea that Clemson was so close to home. All we got was Charlotte media (except a couple of gaffney radio stations), so the only universities that mattered were in the triangle.

Most kids that don't go to the big in-state schools end up going to App state, western carolina, gardner-webb, or unc charlotte. The closest big-time school has to be 3.5 to 4 hours away (Wake may be 2?). I do believe that if clemson makes some noise in the ACC, it wouldn't be very hard to draw kids from that area. It is closest, and the culture is more in line with how the kids are raised there.

Sorry to Jump in

Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

But my folks live in that area too, and I've always wondered how it is that UGA can set up a pipeline with Charlotte Independence but Clemson seems to have trouble dislodging these. Clemson is close that UGA (even though Athens isn't as far as it sounds), and that whole area is loaded with outstanding football and basketball talent.

Great thread, y'all...

^^^^"Clemson is closer *than* UGA^^^***

Feb 12, 2008, 10:47 AM

Re: Sorry to Jump in

Feb 12, 2008, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Sorry to Jump in ]

I can't say generally, but from my own personal experience growing up there, the local media (Shelby paper) as well as regional Charlotte TV stations were (as expected) highly biased towards the in-state triangle schools when talking about the ACC. If you watched college football, when you saw the SEC it was because it was a big game and on national TV so you saw packed stadiums and lots of excitement. You saw a lot of regional ACC games, so you saw Wake vs. Duke or unc versus maryland (boring). Clemson might as well have been in Michigan.

The more Clemson gets on the national stage, the easier it is, because the regional tv affect doesn't matter as much.

I didn't know how SEC-like clemson was until I visited my senior year of HS.

You're right. If you grew up here and had no affiliation

Feb 12, 2008, 11:20 AM

Clemson you probably wouldn't know where it is with all the Triangle media coverage. It's often amazing at what is left off the sports page involving Clemson and what insignificant things from the triangle schools do make the page. As you mentioned the recent national covered games (i.e FSUvsCU) on ESPN are helping and our AD and Head coach should be commended for this. I have noticed a lot more Tiger paws on hats etc. here than when I was growing up.

Re: Do you live around there? Just curious...

Feb 12, 2008, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Do you live around there? Just curious... ]

Yeah, I'm a Shelby High alum and still live here. I think being a 2A school probably hurts a little and although we usually clean house in football every year (against 3 & 4A)it's usually because of coaching and speed. We very rarely have a kid that will qualify that has the size that D1 wants. And when we do it's usually UNC or NCSU, not too mention Penn State, or Florida. Remeber Brandon Spikes from Crest? UF came in and snatched him up. Also, Tennessee (can't remember the kid from Burns). Anyway, I also don't think Clemson has tried hard enough here either. I think they could do well if they tried more. The only reason Raper was noticed by Clemson was a combine held in Charlotte. The last time I remember Clemson working our high schools was back in the Ford era when they got the likes of Tony Mauney etc.

Re: Do you live around there? Just curious...

Feb 12, 2008, 11:37 AM

You're right, the other side of the coin is that with all the championships or at least playoff games played by Burns, Crest, and Shelby you'd think more out of state universities would notice the local schools more than they do.

Of course being 'forgotten' is one of the things that makes that area of the state a pretty good place to grow up (you don't recognize it until you leave and your guidance counselor wife tells you all the stuff her kids deal with...)

Bawling Sprangs? I know a few people that live down there...

Feb 12, 2008, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Do you live around there? Just curious... ]

how old are you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Bawling Sprangs? I know a few people that live down there...

Feb 12, 2008, 6:54 PM

nearing 32. Graduated from Crest in '94.

Re: Known Committments For 2009 Football Class

Feb 12, 2008, 8:05 PM

I want to let all of you know that you don't have to worry about any kids in the Shelby or for that matter,any area of Western NC not being recognized because Billy Napier is WELL AWARE of ANY POTENTIAL PROSPECTS. This is part of Napier's recruiting territory and I've personally talked to him about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,435
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic