Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers Improve To 3-0 With 38-10 Victory Over Furman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Sep 15, 2007, 6:11 PM

Harper another outstanding day, throwing for 266 yards and three touchdowns in win. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone else wondering why Harper didn't play last year?***

Sep 15, 2007, 7:00 PM

Re: Anyone else wondering why Harper didn't play last year?*

Sep 15, 2007, 7:06 PM

yeah I also wondering why with such a good lead why Korn ain't getting more experience before the fourth quarter. No more injuries....Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 15, 2007, 7:52 PM

I thought everyone agreed not to mention last year again... geezzz. Move on.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I hate when dum AZZES say that about that question.

Sep 15, 2007, 8:29 PM

Its a perfectly legitimate question I wonder it every Saturday I see Harper play what could have been, point is TB made a mistake by not playing Harper last year and I dont want to hear he made a big improvement over the off season, you dont go from being worse than Proctor and come in here 8 months later and break records. Tommy knows he screwed up and quite frankly so does TDP, thats why hes on the hotseat now. So far so good and I hope Harper stays sharp and so does coaching, but get off TBs nuts, U know deep down its ran across your mind what could have been last year if Harper would have been have as good as he is this year we win ACCC hands down, chalk it up to a dumb coaching move. Get one thing straight I like TB and DO NOT want to see him go, but lets face it this is why hes on the hotseat. Stay in your place...

Re: I hate when dum AZZES say that about that question.

Sep 15, 2007, 9:59 PM

I think it's perfectly legitimate to question coaching decisions. However, to blame last year's finish on TB is not entirely accurate. He had a ridiculous number of injuries to coach around, and has had to replace a few coordinator's over the years for various reasons. Not to say he didn't make a few mistakes, but when someone in here is willing to say he/she has never made a mistake, please let me know...

He's also had to convince a reluctant alumni base that you have to actually invest money into your program if you want to compete at the highest level... Some of you in here expect Tommy to win another National Championship
with both arms tied behind his back, and I think your lucky he's still around... He's done a wonderful job of rebuilding a Football program that was not in good shape when he arrived, and I think some people in here should be a little more grateful.

Re: I hate when dum AZZES say that about that question.

Sep 16, 2007, 12:37 AM

We ARE lucky Tommy is still around, but the average fan doesn?t see it. Such is the burden of having a program more financially dependent on its general fans than its school?s alumni. Not many public universities of our size, not to mention of our modest ? though great! ? history, have the kind of program we do. The way I see it we have two options: 1. Stay behind Tommy and be patient, content that when/if we get there, we did it in all the right ways (see his father), or 2. Bail on him and bring in a coaching mercenary, a stop on the way to an espn gig, and then five years from now be right back where we are right now hoping to get a miracle coach (tillman was asleep up there!).

Gee, you have so much experience, you must be a Head Coach!***

Sep 15, 2007, 10:02 PM [ in reply to I hate when dum AZZES say that about that question. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Media pundits think TB stinks, & nobody tries to hire him.

Sep 16, 2007, 2:15 AM [ in reply to I hate when dum AZZES say that about that question. ]

If TB is so great, and we're so lucky to have him, then why haven't I heard of any other schools trying to steal him away?

It's not just a few ignorant fans who think TB is mediocre. Many national media pundits think so too. Some examples:

Sports Illustrated: List of 10 worst coaches:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/07/10/mailbag/index.html
Tommy Bowden, Clemson: How does a team with James Davis, C.J. Spiller and Gaines Adams manage to lose four of its last five? How does a program with Clemson's resources fail to crack 8-4? And how has Bowden managed to survive half a decade on the hot seat?

SportingNews' Tom Dienhart (who ranked Tommy 47th among the 66 BCS coaches, and 9th of the 12 ACC coaches.) wrote this article about Bowden?
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=2226851

And how about that cheap shot that Bowden took at Lloyd Carr today? It reminded me of his unchristian remarks about Spurrier's pay raise last year. Bowden really sets a fine example with his mouth.

I'll believe we're lucky to have him when he starts winning ACC titles periodically. Even one would be a good start after NINE YEARS.

Sep 16, 2007, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else wondering why Harper didn't play last year?* ]

Since I started this thread, I'll mention my thoughts. I think Bowden is a good coach and I hope he stays on. These coaches seem to have done an excellent job recruiting. I'm doubtful we will win the conference this year, but next year I think we might even be the favorite going in. I think Bowden has put together and excellent, but young team that needs a little more experience to be a BCS contender. I admit I am still a bit peeved about the Music City bowl after having made it my big (expensive) outing for last year. Harper might have made the difference. I think Harper is the man right now and don't see a need to bring in Korn except to get him some experience.

Nice sugarcoated article

Sep 15, 2007, 8:11 PM

I guess we were 'hiding' our blocking schemes from future oponents during this game?! Harper sacked 5 times! We had no sacks on Furman?! Thanks to Furman's mistakes, they only scored 10! I guess even Crump has to walk on egg-shells when talking about the football program?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Crump doesn't write the articles***

Sep 15, 2007, 8:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think in the last two weeks our oline

Sep 16, 2007, 2:17 AM [ in reply to Nice sugarcoated article ]

has forgotten how to block? Give me a break.

If we played a nine man front then why did they run

Sep 16, 2007, 1:26 AM

all over us?

D gave up scary #s of rushing yards, points, & catches.

Sep 16, 2007, 2:51 AM

The offense looks pretty good but once again the defense gave up way too many yards, catches, and points against a cupcake at home. Turnovers were a bright spot. But after watching BC beat GT today, I fear that BC will completely pick apart Clemson's pass defense. GT & VT may too. I hope Koenning shores up the D-- especially the pass-D. And I hope the O can keep putting up big numbers against non-cupcakes because I fear that they'll need to.

The offense looks good?

Sep 16, 2007, 4:28 AM

Spiller gained -6 yards against FURMAN. Davis only got 45 yards. Our o-line is horrible and two of the "best running backs in the nation" haven't really done that much against three crap teams. It doesn't really look good for the offense either. We are 3-0 yeah, but look at who we have played.

Offense PRETTY good. Then again BC put 37 pts on NCSU.

Sep 16, 2007, 1:25 PM [ in reply to D gave up scary #s of rushing yards, points, & catches. ]

I said the offense looks PRETTY good. Though Proctor's offense looked good against FSU and the cupcakes too so it's hard to tell. And, for example, while we put up 38 points on a Division 1-AA cupcake, Furman, BC put up 37 points on NCSU, and GT put up 69 points on Samford (and 33 points on Notre Dame). So I'm not sure our offense on par with the cream of the ACC-- and it's certainly nowhere near the upper echelon of the NCAA.

It's troubling that Davis and Spiller had low numbers, but if a team (even Furman) challenges you to beat them in the air by putting 9-in-the-box, and you are able to pass all over them, then you gotta pass all over them rather than trying to be macho with the run. Davis and Spiller only had 18 rushes, compared to say, 29 against FSU.

But it all comes back to my concern about the weakness of the defense. If the defense had gotten Furman off the field quicker, the offense would have had more opportunities to gain yardage and score points. Furman beat Clemson in total yardage, 1st-downs, and time of possession. All that from 1-AA Furman? Our defense needs to do better or BC will in the Atlantic division.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic