Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update

Mar 8, 2020, 9:12 PM

Clemson announces COVID-19 update

University officials continue to closely monitor COVID-19 and are actively engaged in daily planning in an effort to inform and reduce the risk to faculty, staf Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update

Mar 8, 2020, 9:21 PM

Glad to see Clemson taking a proactive approach and getting communication going out ahead of this outbreak.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 9:25 PM

outbreak. lmfao

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 9:35 PM

Yeah. Crazy that your more likely to be killed by a drunk driving illegal than by corona.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want the virus. However you cant go around constantly going in panic mode like the main stream media is doing about everything that may kill you.

Mar 9, 2020, 9:39 AM

people aren't panicking about catching the virus. they're panicking because they have jobs that don't allow them to sit out for three weeks while they recover, or they have customer bases that will be sitting out for three weeks, meaning that those jobs may go away. or they're over the age of 65 and have a thousand percent better chance of dying from this than from the flu.

i'm not sure I agree with that after seeing women fight over

Mar 9, 2020, 10:32 AM

toilet paper

Mar 8, 2020, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

What would you term it as ?
If it's not an outbreak ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 8, 2020, 9:57 PM

what do you call the flu. is it an outbreak. it kills way more people than this thing does. every year.

Why does it bother you that it's called an outbreak?

Mar 8, 2020, 9:59 PM

It's a new virus, that is spreading. That's the definition. Why deny it?

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

Mar 8, 2020, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

New virus , unseen before early this year ... growing in cases worldwide.
I mean , isn't that the definition of an outbreak ?
Not being an asss , just wondering if you'd use another term and if so what ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning

Mar 8, 2020, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

to infect the population. It's far more lethal than the flu and if it spreads like the flu it's going to kill far more people.

If it continues to double at the current rate, millions of Americans will be infected 2 months from now. The risk at that point is that the US hospital system becomes overburdened and we begin to run out of hospital beds, ventilators, N95 masks for healthcare workers, etc. Cross your fingers that the spread of the virus slows down as the weather warms and that doesn't actually happen.

Thank you. People comparing it to the ordinary flu is wrong.

Mar 8, 2020, 10:18 PM

But you can't tell some people.

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

Re: Thank you. People comparing it to the ordinary flu is wrong.

Mar 8, 2020, 10:21 PM

hey if you people want to cower in fear and walk around with facemasks and purell in your pocket and spend your life in fear have at it. i choose not to.

Gotta love people with low IQs and no medical expertise

Mar 8, 2020, 11:18 PM

stating made-up facts about this on the internet. What could possibly go wrong?

Re: Gotta love people with low IQs and no medical expertise

Mar 9, 2020, 9:41 AM

you just described the entire trump administration. and people wonder why we're panicking.

have fun in the ward.***

Mar 8, 2020, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Thank you. People comparing it to the ordinary flu is wrong. ]

Re: Thank you. People comparing it to the ordinary flu is wrong.

Mar 9, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank you. People comparing it to the ordinary flu is wrong. ]

AS Roosevelt said: "The only thing we have to FEAR, is FEAR itself".

Re: That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning

Mar 9, 2020, 5:31 AM [ in reply to That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

Far more lethal than the flu ??? Where you getting your facts ? How many has the flu killed world wide this year ?

Re: That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning

Mar 9, 2020, 7:07 AM [ in reply to That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

We don't really know what the ultimate kill rate will be for COVID-19 so you really can't say that it is any more or less lethal than the flu. Thus far, the seasonal flu has infected and killed many more people than COVID-19 but time will tell. Truthfully, we have so few COVID-19 infections in the US that the data set is insignificant when comparing it to the flu. In the USA, this thing has mainly killed older people (with the vast majority being over 70 years old) that are in relatively poor health to begin with. What we do know is that the majority of those who are infected with COVID-19 outside of the high risk category (over 60 with underlying medical issues) typically have a mild disease and do not require hospitalization and are recovering at home. So these projections of mass hospitalizations and running out of hospital beds/supplies is, at this point, nothing but fear mongering.

It's fair and accurate to call the spread of COVID-19 an outbreak as it appears to be very contagious. What makes COVID-19 particularly dangerous is its long incubation period of 2 to 14 days compared to the flu which is generally 1-4 days. The concern with COVID-19's long incubation period is that people are unaware of their infection and are potentially spreading COVID-19 before becoming fully symptomatic. In the USA, most folks are only getting what they term a "mild disease". Because of this, there is a high suspicion that many more folks have already contracted COVID-19 and are recovering/recovered from it thinking it was a seasonal cold. Unfortunately, we will probably never know how many undocumented cases there actually are or how this would affect the COVID-19 data concerning mortality and recovery rates.

Speaking of recovery, there is practically no discussion of COVID-19 recovery in the media. It is a fact that the vast majority of people that are infected with COVID-19 will recover from the disease otherwise the death toll would be astronomically higher. I would hope that as the days go by, the CDC and others will give us some accurate data on disease recovery. We keep seeing sensational headlines regarding the compounding totals of US COVID-19 infections and deaths but are not provided any corresponding numbers to tell us how many of those total COVID-19 infections have recovered. In my opinion, we need the recovery numbers to give context to this whole COVID-19 outbreak but unfortunately, folks recovering from the disease will not make for the same media sensationalism as people dying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great posts!***

Mar 9, 2020, 7:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The absolute best case here is that this is essentially

Mar 9, 2020, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

a second seasonal flu spreading concurrently with regular season flu this year (and probably next winter as well). The best, best case scenario is that we find a vaccine by next year and don't hear much from the coronavirus again. The not-as-great, next best case scenario is that we have to deal with two seasonal-flu like viruses every year going forward. That's still a pretty big deal because the regular seasonal flu is already quite burdensome on our health care system and doubling that load is very significant.

It's also quite possible that this could be at least 5x deadlier than the seasonal flu (which kills around .1% of hosts in the US, or about 1 in 1,000) and requires far more hospitalizations than the seasonal flu. The mortality rate of ~3.4% based solely on confirmed cases is certainly a gross overestimation, but other projections of .5% to 1% could be accurate, and may depend, at least to some extent, on how well we are able to protect our elderly because it's currently killing the 70-79, and 80+ demographics at a very alarming rate.

Granted it's a small sample size, but the Diamond Princess can potentially give us an idea of what the virus may do since everyone on board was tested and under close scrutiny. About 18% of passengers and crew caught the coronavirus (albeit in ideal conditions for transmissions) and, so far, 7 of the 696 that were infected have died. That's a mortality rate of right about 1%. Maybe that number is skewed a little since cruise goers this time of year tend to be retirees who are inherently more susceptible to the virus, but even if it was off by a factor of 2 and the mortality rate for the general public ends up being .5%, this is still a very big deal.

And, honestly, the economic impacts right now are perhaps more troubling even if you are young and not particularly concerned about becoming seriously ill from the coronavirus.

Message was edited by: TigersAndCubs®

Good post but I think your flu stat is off

Mar 9, 2020, 9:22 AM

The flu mortality rate - worldwide and in the US - is more like 1/1000 or .1%.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops, thank you. I even correctly wrote 5x

Mar 9, 2020, 9:33 AM

and then wrote the percentage wrong right after that.

Re: The absolute best case here is that this is essentially

Mar 12, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to The absolute best case here is that this is essentially ]

FYI, my background is that I have BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Chem.. Eng. from Clemson and MD from MUSC with completion of residency there in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology along with necessary experience when there and thereafter to be qualified as an expert in Forensic Pathology. With that said, I have read considerably about influenza virus over the past years and in the present cases as well as the Covid-19 virus. As an example, I refer the readers to recall the flu pandemic of 1918-1919 which has been postulated to have entered the human species near Wichita, Kansas. It is currently accepted that 50 to 100 MILLION persons died during that pandemic from the so-called "Spanish Flu." with the highest death rate at a peak within 28 year olds. Moreover, the WORLD population at that time was approximately 1.7 BILLION people. With those figures and assuming that the deaths from flu at that time were reported and correctly diagnosed, the death rate was 50,000,000/1,700,000,000 or 50,000/1,700,000 (dropping three zeros from each figure) or 2.9% which is the MINIMUM death rate ASSUMING that EVERY person on earth at the time had the flu over the pandemic time period. If only one-half became infected, then the death rate would have been 5.8%. It has also been estimated that between 5% and 10% of those infected with flu did die. The 10% figure is not unreasonable because there were apparently some isolated countries and other locales (e.g., mountains, islands, secluded areas) where no one was even exposed to the flu virus and even IF everyone was infected, those reports and possibly deaths were not reported. Now, in order to further comment on the present situation, it should be patently apparent to everyone that by now it has been firmly established that there are many subclinical infections occurring so that the infection rate is higher than reported, but the deaths ARE reported so: the present worldwide established reported cases of Covid-19 is 4,965 deaths/134,098 confirmed cases equals 3.70%. Furthermore, the average age of those who have died is about 80 years old, NOT 28 as it was in 1918-1919 pandemic. Therefore, I postulate that the virus has NOT been shown to be as deadly as the flu in 1918-1919; and it should not be so sensationalized and feared as it is currently. I will admit that it appears to be more easily contracted from the data that has been collected thus far. Moreover, some of the current estimates are that the death rate with Covid-19 virus would be 0.1-2.0% if all cases were reported. I might add that I have done approximately 6,000 autopsies in my career, and I have yet to report a death entirely due to the flu virus. There always appear to be other factors involved such as heart or lung disease OR immunological deficiency. Let's get over this paranoia about the Covid-19 virus as there is little that can be done at the time until a vaccine is developed, if one can be developed.

Great post

Mar 9, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

I think any panic can be mostly attributed to:

- The idea that you can be infected and spread the disease without experiencing symptoms

- That it takes up to 2 weeks for to feel the effects of and get over the virus (Thus needing 2 weeks of supplies or access to them unless you can't afford to stay home, or are a jerk and don't care about spreading)

- That people (at least in the US) are likely to not report it/get tested for the virus just in case because it can be mild, therefore throwing off recovery (and death rate) numbers as you said.

Clemson

Here you go...

Mar 9, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

https://visalist.io/emergency/coronavirus

Includes recovery stats known to date.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here you go...

Mar 9, 2020, 3:25 PM

I don't like to be a conspiracy guy, but has anyone else paid attention to the small numbers of infected in Russia? 17 total and no deaths with such close proximity to China? Seems very strange to me.

it's current mortality rate is about 3% , wouldn't call that

Mar 9, 2020, 10:33 AM [ in reply to That flu argument is so dumb. This is a new virus that's just beginning ]

more lethal than the flu at this point francis

Re: it's current mortality rate is about 3% , wouldn't call that

Mar 9, 2020, 12:20 PM

The mortality rate of the flu is 0.1% ... using your figure of a 3% mortality rate for COVID would mean it's 30 times more lethal than the flu. Obviously we've got a long way to go before we know what we're really dealing with, but that's the reason people are nervous: the unknown.

People talk about flu deaths as a way to downplay the situation but it doesn't make sense. We know what the flu is, and we've dealt with it for hundreds of years at this point. We don't have a good grip on what the Coronavirus is as of yet. I'm not saying there should be people panicking and wreaking havoc in the streets, but it's bizarre how many people are sticking their heads in the sand about an unknown virus that's gone from a small market in China, to affecting every major country in the world in less than 4 months.

Mar 8, 2020, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

It’s deadlier and more contagious than seasonal flu based on what we know so far. People need to stop eating bats.

Mar 9, 2020, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

This is new--there is no vaccine like we have with the flu. People who fail to take precautions can endanger others who are very vulnerable--the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Just had a guy in Spartanburg test positive

Mar 8, 2020, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

133 people died today in Italy from it. Yes, it's an outbreak.

Re: Just had a guy in Spartanburg test positive

Mar 8, 2020, 9:58 PM

uh it is an outbreak in italy.

How do we know that won't happen here?***

Mar 8, 2020, 9:59 PM

And it's going to be here soon too.

Mar 8, 2020, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Just had a guy in Spartanburg test positive ]

But keep your head in the sand if you wish.

Mar 9, 2020, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Just had a guy in Spartanburg test positive ]

I think CUnext was using the term "outbreak" as world wide. That's the way I see it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Just had a guy in Spartanburg test positive ]

lets see do i listen to an actual doctor or the media that is trying anything to get rid of our president and some goobers on tigernet cowering in the corner with facemasks on and purell in their hands. think i may go with the doctor.

Dr. Drew On Coronavirus: Media ‘Hurting People,’ ‘Need To Be Held Accountable’ For Causing Panic
By Daily Wire News
DailyWire.com
LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 20: Drew Pinsky speaks onstage at Politicon 2018 at Los Angeles Convention Center on October 20, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.Michael S. Schwartz/Getty Images
Facebook
Twitter
Mail
Physician David Drew Pinsky, commonly referred to as Dr. Drew, slammed the media in a CBS News interview late last week, saying that it is responsible for causing the American public to panic, which is hurting businesses and people.

“A bad flu season is 80,000 dead, we’ve got about 18,000 dead from influenza this year, we have a hundred from corona,” Dr. Drew said. “Which should you be worried about, influenza or Corona? A hundred versus 18,000? It’s not a trick question. And look, everything that’s going on with the New York cleaning the subways and everyone using Clorox wipes and get your flu shot, which should be the other message, that’s good. That’s a good thing, so I have no problem with the behaviors.”

“What I have a problem with is the panic and the fact that businesses are getting destroyed, that people’s lives are being upended, not by the virus, but by the panic,” Dr. Drew continued. “The panic must stop. And the press, they really somehow need to be held accountable because they are hurting people.”

WATCH:

TRANSCRIPT:

CBS NEWS: “So you’ve seen pandemics over the decades, how does this one compare with everything?”

DR. DREW: “A bad flu season is 80,000 dead, we’ve got about 18,000 dead from influenza this year, we have a hundred from corona. Which should you be worried about influenza or Corona? A hundred versus 18,000? It’s not a trick question. And look, everything that’s going on with the New York cleaning the subways and everyone using Clorox wipes and get your flu shot, which should be the other message, that’s good. That’s a good thing, so I have no problem with the behaviors. What I have a problem with is the panic and the fact that businesses are getting destroyed that people’s lives are being upended, not by the virus, but by the panic. The panic must stop. And the press, they really somehow need to be held accountable because they are hurting people.”

CBS NEWS: “So, where do you think the panic started? Besides the press, like what was the impetus in terms of mass hysteria?”

DR. DREW: “I saw it, there’s a footage of me on a show called The Daily Blast Live a month ago, going ‘shouldn’t we be scared about this?’ and me going ‘no, there’s gonna be as potential for panic here, shut up everybody, stop talking about it, I could see the panic brewing, and I could just see it the way the innuendo and the every opportunity for drama by the press was twisted in that direction. Let me give you an example: so the World Health Organization is out now saying the fatality rate from the virus is 3.4%, right? Every publication from the WHO says 3.4% and we expect it to fall dramatically once we understand the full extent of the illness. No one ever reports the actual statement. We go 3.4% that’s 10 times more than the, whatever five times more than the flu virus and yeah it’s gonna be a little more [than the] flu probably. Still not a bad flu season.”

CBS NEWS: “Right, we’re gonna hear about more cases, more people died.”

DR. DREW: “There are probably several people in this building that probably have it and don’t know it.”

CBS NEWS: “Right, well it was also just the process of letting the public know, the stock market, the number of tests that were available, there was so much happening, I think people were freaking out as a result of that.”

DR. DREW: “I think there was it was a concerted effort by the press to capture your eyes and in doing so they did it by inducing panic. There’s, listen, the CDC and the WHO, they know what they are doing, they contain pandemics, that’s how they know how to do it, they’re doing an amazing job.”

CBS NEWS: “What about the global implications of this because we were talking off-camera about Italy, there’s China as well, there’s some little outbreaks where you should avoid.

DR. DREW: “There are, I would look out where there flus out breaking bad to. I ended up getting the bird flu, I got H1N1 and it was horrible. It was no fun. … There’s certain things having been a physician for almost forty years, there are certain things I just know … and there’s certain things I just know by virtue of all the experience I’ve had and so when I saw this one coming, the corona, I thought I know how this is gonna go, I see kind of what it is and then I saw the excessive reaction the press, so I have to respond and then people, the weird part on social media towards me as people are angry with me, angry with me for trying to get them to see reality and calm down.”

The right wing/Russian propaganda machine is strong

Mar 9, 2020, 10:02 PM

with this one.

Mar 8, 2020, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson announces COVID-19 update ]

With the students probably traveling far and wide during the spring break, it's when they return that we should be on alert.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 10:02 PM

Thanks a million for the info. It's so appreciated. This virus is the real thing. A killer and a financial disaster in the making. Tiger fans, don't underestimate please. It can affect our spring game and our season footfall attendance. It's not hype in northern Italy and Korea for starters not to mention west coast states of emergency . Kick back if you want, but use your head. Lol&p

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 10:05 PM

I think I picked it up the virus from Frances Marion on Friday, sorry I may have passed it to some of y’all but I didn’t know until today.

Wash your feet because I know that’s how I got it. ????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 9, 2020, 4:56 AM

Folks, this is a once a century type of virus.!

Fortunately we're prepared for it since we have one every 4 or 5 years .

For those of you laughing about this, you might want to

Mar 9, 2020, 7:22 AM

inform China that they've shut down 80% of their economy last month for no reason at all. I'm sure they'd like to know they're overreacting. And, while you're at it, you might want to let Italy know it too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/01/coronavirus-more-of-china-extend-shutdown-accounting-for-80percent-of-gdp.html

I don't think many folks are laughing about it - I'm

Mar 9, 2020, 9:04 AM

certainly not. But I'm also keeping things in perspective. There are 7.5 Billion humans on this planet and COVID-19 has only infected some 112,000 humans - 80% of which are in China. There will certainly be more infections but most of the infections in the USA are mild, do not require hospitalization and won't end in death.

Take the disease and it's prevention seriously, especially if you are in a high risk category, but also don't oversell that COVID-19 is some apocalyptic doom that will end the world as we know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's the thing

Mar 9, 2020, 9:59 AM

if only the people in high risk categories take precautions, it won't do them any good - everyone has to do the right thing or it's not effective.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/09-03-2020/the-three-phases-of-covid-19-and-how-we-can-make-it-manageable/

FYI China is MUCH more densely populated than the US***

Mar 9, 2020, 9:51 AM [ in reply to For those of you laughing about this, you might want to ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

China's 'culture' and markets are the equivalent of

Mar 9, 2020, 10:02 AM

A land-locked cruise line. A perfect storm for creation, mutation and spread of 'bug's.

I'm most puzzled by why Italy emerged as a hotbed of incubation. What's unique about it's spread? Is it Venice?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps tourism.***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:57 AM

Re: China's 'culture' and markets are the equivalent of

Mar 9, 2020, 5:32 PM [ in reply to China's 'culture' and markets are the equivalent of ]

they greet each other by kissing, just sayin

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Mar 9, 2020, 3:07 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Mar 9, 2020, 3:56 PM

Surprised at all the amateur Immunologists since Clemson does not offer the major... Maybe you folks who are scared to death that FOOTBALL is more important than lives might buy a little of ####...

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic