Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: History in the making: Clemson's defense putting up staggering numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

TNET: History in the making: Clemson's defense putting up staggering numbers

Nov 15, 2018, 8:43 AM

History in the making: Clemson's defense putting up staggering numbers

There are still games to be played in the 2018 football season, but with every snap Clemson’s defense plays this season fans are watching history in the making.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quote from The Athletic

Nov 15, 2018, 8:50 AM

The entire article is great, but here's 2 paragraphs where the discuss Clemson:

During that six-week stretch, Alabama’s defense has been predictably elite. But it’s Clemson that has moved to the No. 1 spot in our standings with an utterly dominant run. This defense survived a real scare from Syracuse in their final game of September, escaping with a 27-23 comeback victory without the help of Trevor Lawrence or Kelly Bryant at quarterback. In the Tigers’ five games since, their defense has been incredible.

Brent Venables’ unit has played five ACC games and 74 drives since the start of October. They’ve allowed a total of three touchdowns and three field goals. That’s a stop rate of 91.9 percent. They’ve had more drives end in takeaways (seven) than points, and they’ve forced the second-most punts (48) in the country during that span.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For people curious to know all the rankings according to

Nov 15, 2018, 11:33 AM

ESPN:

Defensive Efficiency
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/defEfficiency/tab/efficiency

Interceptions
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/interceptions

Sacks
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

Rushing Defense
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

Passing Defense
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense/sort/passingYards

Total Defense
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Yet the draft expert Mel Kiper has not one player from this

Nov 15, 2018, 6:56 PM

defense in the top 10 of the draft. I admittedly don't follow the NFL so what are peoples thoughts?

Re: TNET: History in the making: Clemson's defense putting up staggering numbers

Nov 15, 2018, 9:12 AM

I've been watching college football with awareness since '92 (I was 12) and this is the best overall defense I can remember. The only thing I can think of that might be better is Miami early 2000's defense with Ed Reed (not sure which year was there more dominant) but I definitely has never seen anything like Clemson's defense in the ACC. Can anyone think of a better defense in the last 25 years?

1989 was good - great video for young and old alike

Nov 15, 2018, 9:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7FVxdv7s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1989 was good - great video for young and old alike

Nov 15, 2018, 10:54 AM

I remember that '89 team. Ford's teams always had great defense, and that was one of the best. Major Harris (and ESPN too) were talking big about that game.
I remember saying back in the Ford era, if we score 21, we win! It's like that again! THESE are the good old days!

Re: 1989 was good - great video for young and old alike

Nov 15, 2018, 11:28 AM [ in reply to 1989 was good - great video for young and old alike ]

Very very proud of that '89 D.

It was my last game as a Student

Nov 15, 2018, 12:04 PM

sniff sniff

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Article contradicts itself on the rushing numbers. In one

Nov 15, 2018, 9:21 AM

section it says the rushing defense is ranked third and giving up 251.7 yards per game. Later it states that the Tigers are allowing 82.3 yds per game. The 82.3 has to be the correct number, since the total defense is 253.6 per game.

Re: Article contradicts itself on the rushing numbers. In one

Nov 15, 2018, 9:53 AM

I think the 82 ypg measure is just since the beginning if October .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

The total rushing yds thru 10 games is 823, so the 82.3 per

Nov 15, 2018, 11:34 AM

game is correct. The article needs to be corrected.

I read our defensive numbers and though I was drunk

Nov 15, 2018, 9:34 AM

I was staggering so much.

Rushing Def is #3 in yards/game, but #1 in ypc

Nov 15, 2018, 9:54 AM

at 2.08

Remember we've faced 3 option teams in that, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rushing Def is #3 in yards/game, but #1 in ypc

Nov 15, 2018, 10:50 AM

Also remember this .... it hasn’t always been Wilkins, Bryant etc in the game when these numbers are put up. The backups have played a LOT and the numbers are still staggering! I can see the first team guys being dominant. They were predicted to be great before the season began.

Great point ForestTiger! Makes this even MORE amazing!

Nov 15, 2018, 1:36 PM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Rushing Def is #3 in yards/game, but #1 in ypc

Nov 15, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Rushing Def is #3 in yards/game, but #1 in ypc ]

That 2.08 ypc allowed is the 2nd best in the past decade in the FBS. Only Bama's 2016 defense that allowed 2.01 ypc has been better. Given that we played so many option teams early and have been holding recent opponents to less than that, we could very well have a record setting rush defense in terms of ypc allowed.

Don't eat the cheese!***

Nov 15, 2018, 12:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic