Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former Bama coach says "Dabo is Clemson" and won't leave when "momma calls"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

TNET: Former Bama coach says "Dabo is Clemson" and won't leave when "momma calls"

May 11, 2018, 11:59 AM

Former Bama coach says "Dabo is Clemson" and won't leave when "momma calls"

Dabo Swinney has built Clemson into a national football power, and the Tigers are mentioned in the same breath as Alabama and Ohio St. when the time comes to me Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like why Dabo does not want to follow Saban:

May 11, 2018, 12:10 PM

"It doesn't matter if you're behind Nick or not at Alabama," Swinney said. "Listen, I spent 13 years there, so I get it. I know exactly what that mentality is and something I've tried to always fight here. You don't see that anywhere in our building, that it's national championship or bust. Our team goals are to win the opener, win the division, win the state championship, win the conference and win the closer."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like why Dabo does not want to follow Saban:

May 11, 2018, 12:30 PM

Yep, Dabo gets it, even if us tnetters don’t.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why follow Nick Saban at Alabama

May 11, 2018, 12:38 PM

When you can be Dabo at Clemson?

He would be crazy to leave Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why follow Nick Saban at Alabama

May 11, 2018, 1:49 PM

I've always said that Dabo is his own man, and he don't have a dream of following another. Dabo has a program much smaller than what Saban has at Bama, and Dabo's smaller program makes Saban and Bama scratch claw with every thing they have to get a win, and that doesn't happen with most teams that play against Bama since Saban at Bama. And when Dabo beats Bama, he has slayed the Giant in college FB, and not many can make that claim since Saban has been the HC at Bama!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Like why Dabo does not want to follow Saban: ]

All we heard my whole junior and senior year was how Danny would head straight to Bama when Bear retired. That didn't happen, either.

May 12, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Like why Dabo does not want to follow Saban: ]

This quote says all one needs to know about Dabo’s thinking, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woody is Dabo's mentor, friend and right hand man

May 11, 2018, 9:42 PM

I doubt there is an off field decision made where Woody's input is not sought and valued. He knows Dabo professionally probably better than anyone. I'd say to can "mark" this one down. What an underappreciated, behind the scenes resource this man is. He understands Clemson, from the glory days of Danny to the glory days of today.

Hum..........

May 12, 2018, 8:17 AM

Dabo is possibly near to creating exactly what he considers football heaven. Dabo being invested in Clemson is obvious. We can hardly tell where Clemson ends and Dabo begins. The union between the two entities takes me back in remembrances of John Wooden who played for Purdue and coached at UCLA, Dean Smith who played at Kansas and coached at UNC, Joe Paterno who played for Brown and coached at Penn State and Mike Krzyzewski who played for Indiana and coaches at Duke.

Imo, Clemson will see the last of the great men who knit their lives with the programs they built so thoroughly there is no seam.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone who once thought Dabo would be Bama's next coach

May 12, 2018, 10:31 AM

I no longer think that. I agree. Dabo is Clemson and may very well be the next college football coach to last 29+ years at a single school (like Beamer).

Imo, Clemson has the VT integrity to keep a coach during...

May 12, 2018, 1:14 PM

struggles to win games. I also believe Coach Beamer to be one of the finest men to hold the position. I believe Dabo has that in common with Coach Beamer.

The similarities end at that mostly because of Dabo's relative short tenure here at Clemson. I too believe that Dabo will continue here until he reaches the grand accomplishments of your fine Coach Beamer. I failed to put him on the list. I apologize, he belongs there for imo, he was a better coach and a better man than any of the others on my list.

I learned to love that old man after VT entered the conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former Bama coach says "Dabo is Clemson" and won't leave when "momma calls"

May 12, 2018, 12:46 PM

Totally agree! That would not be a promotion, IMO, even if it’s for more $. The headache of following Saban and their fan base are enough to offset any temptation to move back there. Also, as was said, his kids are now at home. Clemson is there Home, and there is not a better one to be found in Tuscaloosa, AL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are two things that might create a situation...

May 12, 2018, 1:18 PM

by which Dabo might leave. Clemson fires him or Alabama falls off the charts for long enough that Dabo believes he can change the culture to what he's nursed into existence here at Clemson.

I'm 65 now and believe I will be long dead and all but forgotten about by everyone but my family before either of those happen.

Re: TNET: Former Bama coach says "Dabo is Clemson" and won't leave when "momma calls"

May 13, 2018, 2:42 PM

This article is very heartening. I think he would stay, I really do. Having said all that...

Just playing devil's advocate here, just imagine that after loving Clemson since the time you were born, walking on and playing in a Clemson National Championship under Ford, and coaching here under him for a few years.

After all that you get a job at Texas A&M, end up being the head coach and bringing them up to where we are now. Clemson loses their next great coach (like Dabo) who retires and Clemson comes a calling.

Imagine this for a second, you'd not give it a thought? Would you?

Just being honest here. I hope he never leaves though. These times are better, by far, then the Ford age. Wow, I never thought I'd say that in my lifetime.

Go Tigers!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic