Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where does Clemson's football program rank all time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Where does Clemson's football program rank all time?

Sep 20, 2017, 6:27 AM

I think this last natty definitely put them in top ten status, and who would you rank above them?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where does Clemson's football program rank all time?

Sep 20, 2017, 6:30 AM

I would say over all a top 20 type program.

If Natty's only count as one win

Sep 20, 2017, 6:35 AM

probably top 25......I'm old and have lived thru many lean years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Sep 20, 2017, 6:36 AM

15-20

Sep 20, 2017, 6:36 AM

Depends what your ranking criteria are. 18th, maybe?

This may help you in this mythical search.....

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking

Message was edited by: ClemTig®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 6:37 AM

I saw a metric recently that had Clemson at #18 all time since WW2. Sounds about right. Several other programs have multiple national titles

Sep 20, 2017, 6:56 AM

Above Clemson considering history and impact

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida Michigan, 0hio State, Penn St, Nebraska, Notre Dame, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Southern Cal. So Clemson is somewhere around 14-15. We win another Natty and we go top 10

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

left out Miami***

Sep 20, 2017, 6:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 7:08 AM

Off the top of my head, here are some others I who would think would need to be in the mix in no particular order:

Mich, Ohio St, USC, FSU, Alabama, Texas, Norte Dame.... maybe Penn St, Oklahoma,

We should be in top 20 at this point, but not top 10. Will need Dabo to stay on this tear for another 10 years and win 2 more nattys and then you start to inch into top 10 range.

Until you have 30-40 years of consistency, there are a lot of teams over time who had good runs like us that crowd the field below the top 10 which makes it challenging.... teams like Nebraska, Florida, Tenn, Auburn, Miami, Pitt, WVa, Colorado, Texas A&M, etc.

We are getting very close to that level though. The Danny era put us in top 25 and even his momentum carried us for 3 years under Hatfield. We had some flashes during Bowden era, but not consistent so a lot of wasted time there to make up. I said at the time, when Danny was pushed out, we would have 30 years in the wilderness and we pretty much did which hurt our all time ranking.

Now Dabo is making up that lost time. ????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 7:39 AM

I left out LSU ??

Sep 20, 2017, 7:12 AM

I looked at two polls and got 2 different results.The first was an Associated Press poll
that had Clemson ranked #22.But it covered only the last 80 years and had not been updated since August 2016.
The second was a Wikipedia poll, updated as of 8-20-2017 and had Clemson at #25.
Their record was 717-457-45(.607 winning percentage)in 1219 games.
The minimum number of games needed to qualify was 600 and had just the top 87 programs and ties.
Hope this helps!

Sep 20, 2017, 7:58 AM

I don't know that 'All Time' means a lot, other than for discussion purposes. There isn't a single program with a 30-40 year track record of excellence...it just seemed that way at the time. So much has changed since, oh, 1980 with college ball. Twenty years is relevant, in my view, since that's a generation. The kids in college now have no clue about Nebraska or Notre Dame...and discussions of them as national caliber programs is lost on them. Penn State, Michigan...and soon, Miami will fall into those buckets, too...with USC on their heels. Time flies, doesn't it?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 8:12 AM

Good context. You are probably right. ALL TIME is irrelevant actually, the last 20 years is about all that matters.

And given that view, you are correct, ND, Miami, Pitt, LSU, TX, TN, USC, Mich have fallen a bit and we have risen. AL is the lone program I can think of than spans ALL TIME well.

If we look at last 20 years, then Clemson is in top 15-20 easily. At is rate, could be in top 10 after this year.

Focus man - windshield mentality - BC is all that matters***

Sep 20, 2017, 8:11 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Number 1 - No question in my mind

Sep 20, 2017, 8:13 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

24th

Sep 20, 2017, 8:20 AM

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/all-time-record

All time is a long time.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic