Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburnfan thread #2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Auburnfan thread #2

Aug 20, 2017, 3:24 PM

That last thread went 180+!
Really just wanted to say thanks for the one who answered some of my questions!
I'm going to post a new thread after our meaningless Week1 games ...

Actually, I wasn't excited about scheduling Georgia Southern. I have a feeling they will put some numbers up with that triple option offense.
Just 2 or 3 years ago, they put up 21 points on Bama's D ... I think it was a year where Bama won the NC.

Honestly though ... I wouldn't mind if they gave us a little trouble ... "check the egos" kind of thing so the coaches can say "You're not as good as you think y'all are" leading up to our game.

#2 ... Last time I came, we stayed in Anderson.
We plan to just stay Sat night. Any recommendations on where to stay that won't charge us 2 night minimums?

Also we are at a really cool "Clemson place" back in 2011. I'd like to know a couple of places to eat that are unique to Clemson for Fri night dinner!

#3 Saw where you named Bryant your starter.
What are your thoughts? I looked at some highlight reels ... Dude is s boss runner, but noticed only one throw. Are y'all a little nervous about him as a passer? His film looked similar to JF3 for us ... heavy run, little pass. Just wondering. I kind of feel like y'all will play at least two QBs in week 1.

I will check back with this thread .... & post a new one after our first games!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburnfan thread #2

Aug 20, 2017, 3:41 PM

I think Bryant will start but multiple QBs will probably play against Auburn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our offense will be 50-50 run to pass ratio just guessing though. According to coaches KB's passing skills are improved but no one knows for sure if we will use 2 QB's. I look for a very competitive game. Auburn has some talented running backs.

Aug 20, 2017, 9:33 PM

Me too! Super excited!

I am not sure that we have named a starter as of yet but it looks like it will be Bryant. I am not sure how I feel about any of our QB's at this point. I think whoever it is will be surrounded by a lot of talent so that should make it easier to have some success. I wish we had two games to break in a new qb but that is not the case as we play 3 preseason ranked teams in the first month of the season.

Message was edited by: speedracer®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2017, 3:42 PM

I did not see your first thread but did see one that mentioned your "new" transfer QB from ?Baylor. Apparently the poster is not a real football fan or has limited knowledge of the game. The young lad has played in 4 games at Baylor which is in the Big 12--not exactly a defensive league to say the very least. From what I've heard he has some ability to throw the ball but there is only one problem. In order to throw it on time and accurately one has to have adequate time. Th \is young man will be baptized into big boy football when he sees a big time pass rush from all front 4. I predict a fairly close game but he will cough it up a few times and that will be the difference. Next year if we played it might be a different outcome but not at Death /Valley with a kid with very limited experience against arguably the best front 4 in college football.
As you know /Auburn has been down for them and to play us at home with a untested QB does not forbade well but that's why the games are played. I'm going with Clemson Tigers 34--Auburn Tiger 16

Aug 20, 2017, 9:50 PM

You're misinformed about the QB. Vegas has him tied for 6th or 7th as far as best chances to win the Heisman. He was a 5* Dual Treat QB out of HS. Want to Baylor & when Russell (Baylor's QB) got hurt, Stidham as a True freshman stepped in. Baylor at the time was ranked 6th in the nation. Those games he started? Oklahoma, Oklahoma St & @ Kansas St. .... Not the Kansas, Iowa St, or Texas St types of teams. He threw for 1200 yds, 12 TDs & 2Ints. Baylor doesn't ask their QB to run ... so you haven't really seen why he was the #2 overall DTQB in th 2015 class. He's a stud.

Our OL is the best in the SEC. it's our deepest & most talented unit with 3 5* OL. Our coaches feel we have "8 starters on OL" ... it took until Week 3 to sort out who should be our center last year. After that ... they were solid.

It's the best AU team (on paper) that I've ever seen.
I think you'll be impressed by our WRs. They were the #1 WR class in 2016 ... but we've been more of a running team lately... leading the SEC in rushing, but having awful stats passing. That will change as we finally get these WRs some opportunities. They'll go from avg 3 catches to maybe 8+ for the top 2 WRs.

Aug 20, 2017, 4:28 PM

Lol come on man, JF3 isn't in the same league as Bryant. Nick Marshall is a closer comparison to Kelly Bryant, and no, not concerned at all.

Aug 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

> Lol come on man, JF3 isn't in the same league as
> Bryant. Nick Marshall is a closer comparison to Kelly
> Bryant, and no, not concerned at all.

For realz. JF3? Leaving aside the fact that Bryant is 4 inches taller and about 40 pounds heavier than JF3 was, and probably about equally as fast, Bryant is a charismatic guy and a natural leader, a guy who works his tail off, and a guy who probably has about 40 IQ points on Franklin to boot.

Bryant's got the raw material to be a great QB. Whether he completely puts it together or not is always the question, but JF3 got found out by character, work ethic, leadership, and study-habit issues. He just simply did not have either the brains, drive, or character to be a starting QB for a major D1 program...in fact he did not have the brains, drive, or character to even start at Last Chance U there in Scooba.

Bryant may or may not make it, but it didn't take anybody long to realize Franklin III had just about zero chance.

Aug 20, 2017, 9:59 PM

You're a little off with your assessment on JF3.
You must be looking at Last chance U film. He put on a little bit of a front. He was a career 4.0 student at FSU, JUCO & AU. Now working on masters at FAU. No character issue at AU. Teammates liked him. He worked hard ... just couldn't get him to be effective in games. Ended up 3rd team behind JJ (who may be considered most over hyped/worst AU QB in recent memory)

I don't think his JF3 assessment is very far off at all***

Aug 21, 2017, 11:12 AM

Re: I don't think his JF3 assessment is very far off at all***

Aug 21, 2017, 12:33 PM

You've met him? Seen him at practice? Heard other players talk about him?
I have about as good of a source as you can get. He's not what you think.

Re: I don't think his JF3 assessment is very far off at all***

Aug 21, 2017, 3:48 PM

Maybe not about his character or work ethic, but certainly his abilities/potential as a D1 QB

Aug 20, 2017, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

Wasn't comparing talent ....

What I meant was ... JF3 was a runner.
But he was ineffective as a passer, so teams stacked the box.

I'm saying Bryant looks good if not great as a runner ... but noticed there was only one pass in the highlight I watched.

That's what I meant with the JF3 comment.

Check you t mail

Aug 20, 2017, 4:38 PM

I answered a lot of that a few days ago.

We don' take kindly tu yer type roun' here boy***

Aug 20, 2017, 4:46 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Georgia Southern could play in the SEC LEast***

Aug 20, 2017, 4:46 PM

Re: Georgia Southern could play in the SEC LEast***

Aug 21, 2017, 12:33 PM

You might be right.

I'd recommend staying in Greenville

Aug 20, 2017, 4:48 PM

Clemson hotels and anywhere close are outrageous. Anderson is not very nice. Greenville is the way to go.

Unless he is coming from Alabama

Aug 20, 2017, 5:39 PM

Greenville is the wrong way

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unless he is coming from Alabama

Aug 20, 2017, 10:00 PM

I'm coming from Homewood ... just outside of B'ham, AL

Re: I'd recommend staying in Greenville

Aug 20, 2017, 5:41 PM [ in reply to I'd recommend staying in Greenville ]

You have dozens of choices for lodging in Greenville and without multiple night requirements I think. Downtown greenville is fun, safe at night, with tons of choices in food, walk everywhere or use free trolley.

Places to eat in Clemson...

Aug 20, 2017, 5:15 PM

Try All In Coffee Shop for the best pastries you will ever eat. The Blueberry muffins are unreal.
Pot Belly Deli is also great for breakfast and lunch. The George Washington sandwich (or something like that) is great.
Get some ice cream, coffee or milkshakes from Spill the Beans. Just make sure you tip em.

The Esso Club is the "classic Clemson bar and grill". Food is decent, atmosphere and location are great. You could also do Wingin It or Study Hall for a bar and grill with good food.

For Friday night dinner or lunch/tailgate food... if you want to have the best BBQ ever while in town, go about 10 min south of Clemson to The Smokin Pig. Expect to wait, but it's worth it. You could even get a bunch Togo and take it to tailgate. Just so you know, when College Gameday comes to town, this is where they get food. Try the brisket.

The nicer and more expensive places to eat dinner are Pixie and Bills, Calhoun Corner and Blue Heron. All would be a nice Friday night dinner, but make a reservation.

Would love to hear where you go and what you think.

^^^^^Smokin' Pig ?? *** Wait will be long....

Aug 20, 2017, 5:26 PM

At least 1hr to 1hr30 or so. Play cornhole and grab a beer while you wait.

Smokin pig has gotten so big

Aug 20, 2017, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Places to eat in Clemson... ]

It's crazy. I remember going there in 2011 when I first got there and it was just the house. No outdoor or extra seating and you could actually get in on Friday without a long wait.

Sigh..... the good old days.

Spill the Beans is now called "Andy's"

Aug 20, 2017, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Places to eat in Clemson... ]

Forgot she changed the name

Re: Places to eat in Clemson...

Aug 20, 2017, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Places to eat in Clemson... ]

I differ on that ice cream choice, you should def go to '55 Exchange on campus, to have the ice cream made by our Clemson Agriculture Dept. It's rich and delish and frequently missed by visitors to campus. While there pick up a pkg of Clemson Blue Cheese, nationally recognized.

Re: Places to eat in Clemson...

Aug 20, 2017, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Places to eat in Clemson... ]

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!
I will definitely report back!

Aug 20, 2017, 5:52 PM

>>#2 ... Last time I came, we stayed in Anderson.
We plan to just stay Sat night. Any recommendations on where to stay that won't charge us 2 night minimums?

Also we are at a really cool "Clemson place" back in 2011. I'd like to know a couple of places to eat that are unique to Clemson for Fri night dinner!

#3 Saw where you named Bryant your starter.
What are your thoughts? I looked at some highlight reels ... Dude is s boss runner, but noticed only one throw. Are y'all a little nervous about him as a passer? His film looked similar to JF3 for us ... heavy run, little pass. Just wondering. I kind of feel like y'all will play at least two QBs in week 1.
<<

#2 - If you're only staying Saturday night and looking for a place to eat on Friday night, you must be planning to sleep in the restaurant or your car.

#3 - I'd be more worried about your QB than ours. Your QB may see an 8 man rush fairly often, since he and his receivers are inexperienced (and short WRs). As a result, you may end up playing more than one QB as well..... :)

Aug 20, 2017, 10:18 PM

Had a larger post in this thread with more details. Our OL is the best in the SEC. our WRs aren't short ... they mostly range from 6'2 to 6'6 (our new hypbrid type TE)

Kyle Davis & Nate Craig Meyer (former #1 overall recruit in 2016... prior to his injury before his Sr season)) along with Slayton Slayton & McClain helped land one of the country's best WR classes.

We got th #2 JUCO TE in Sal Canella. With Chip Lindsey at OC, he'll utilize the TE more ...

Watch for #33. Great story. Came to AU as a walk on kicker. Coaches notice him in drills, move him to WR ... he leads the team in three of the agility drills!
Better than our 2 5* WRs & the other 7 4*s.
If you watch this video, you'll see him 2 or 3 times.
https://youtu.be/d5EiTvyzOeQ

Aug 21, 2017, 7:57 AM

I've looked for those WRs that "mostly range from 6'2" to 6'6"", but just can't find them anywhere. You seem to have trouble reading your own roster details. Here's a link to your roster. It shows the WRs to be 5'9" to 6'2".

2 @ 5'9"
2 @ 5'10"
1 @ 5'11"
3 @ 6'0"
1 @ 6'1"
4 @ 6'2"

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aub-m-footbl-mtt.html

You do have one 6'5" TE, but if you don't use your TEs more in the passing game than you have in the past, you probably should just call them tall FBs..... maybe "cannon fodder" would be more appropriate..... :) This article explains how far your new OC has to go to incorporate the TEs:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-2017-preview-h-back-tight-end-chandler-cox-jalen-harris

Aug 21, 2017, 12:43 PM

I was talking about the 4 at 6'2 ... Could've sworn Myers was 6'3 ... and Sal Cannella is 6'5.
The only WR you'll see under 6'2 is Will Hastings (The guy I was telling you about earlier) which is probably our quickest and has the best hands) He is number #33.

Again, Nate Craig Myers #3 (6'2) was the former #1 overall recruit prior to his Sr year. He's a Pro in waiting.

Kyle Davis is our other Elite WR ... If you watch that video ... you'll see #3 a few times, #33 a few times ... but you won't see Kyle Davis .... he missed the spring game. Both he and NCM are 6'2 215.

He's a stud
https://youtu.be/NK3m_r-D5HM

Our starting 3 or 4 will be Myers, Davis, Hastings in the slot or Sal (depending on play) with either Slayton or McClain So they're all 6'2 except for Sal (Hybrid TE/WR) McClain is the biggest at 226 lbs.

Aug 21, 2017, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

Didn't see the article at first.
You will see us utilize the TE this year. Chip Lindsey at Southern Miss and Arizona State had more touches with their TE. In practice our guy Sal Canella has been tearing it up. We're pretty excited about him. I could see him getting 3 to 4 catches per game this year.

Aug 20, 2017, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

Had a larger post in this thread with more details. Our OL is the best in the SEC. our WRs aren't short ... they mostly range from 6'2 to 6'6 (our new hypbrid type TE)

Kyle Davis & Nate Craig Meyer (former #1 overall recruit in 2016... prior to his injury before his Sr season)) along with Slayton Slayton & McClain helped land one of the country's best WR classes.

We got th #2 JUCO TE in Sal Canella. With Chip Lindsey at OC, he'll utilize the TE more ...

Watch for #33. Great story. Came to AU as a walk on kicker. Coaches notice him in drills, move him to WR ... he leads the team in three of the agility drills!
Better than our 2 5* WRs & the other 7 4*s.
If you watch this video, you'll see him 2 or 3 times.
https://youtu.be/d5EiTvyzOeQ

Aug 20, 2017, 11:26 PM

He(Stidham) looks good on film. I hope that's not your starting defense he's playing against, or rather I hope it is. They're getting no pressure on the qb and the secondary is playing soft and getting torched. If that isn't yalls starting defense then I'm guessing that's why he looks so good. Anyway you slice it it's nothing compared to what he will see on sep. 11. Good arm thou and pretty accurate.

Aug 21, 2017, 1:17 PM

We don't play 1s vs 1s in the scrimmage. & they Rotate the heck out of the entire defense.
And yes ... WIth the A Day being nationally televised ... it's all base D with no blitzes.S
Still, there's a reason there's no push on the DL ... that's our starting OL. One of the best in the country.

AU is tested ever year with great D. this year is no different. Clemson, LSU, Bama etc. This is a veteran team that has been there and done that.

I expect ya'll to have some success on your DL ... but would be shocked if you Dominated one of the best OLs in the country. You'll get yours ... we'll get ours. I'm expecting a great TD .... but it'll be close .... within the spread.

If you like to make money .... bet on AU at least covering the spread. Hopefully some of you jumped on it when it was 7 .... I think it's down to 3.5 and 4 in some places.

Aug 21, 2017, 3:44 PM

No offense but I don't think it will be an even match (Your OL vs Our DL). I understand this will be an agree to disagree sort of argument but I truly feel we have THE best DL in the country this year and OSU isn't even close. Now the four letter network would disagree but we all know how good their predictions are. I fully expect us to dominate the line of scrimmage and stuff the run. What I'm curious is if ya'll will have plays designed to use our speed rush against us. That's a good possibility. But no I don't think your OL (as good as you think they are) will do well against us. You won't get good push and you wont be able to pass protect all that well. I think it will be a similar game to last year. Our D will flourish while our offense sputters out the gate. I think your D will give us problems as you did last year. Again I totally understand that you will not agree with my prediction. Good luck to you guys and may the best team win.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2017, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

that's just my point, you can't take anything away from this if it's not the 1's vs 1's and they're not bringing it other than that he is a helluva 7 on 7 qb. He might show out idk but don't show us the spring game clips against yalls 2nd string and tell us he's gonna pick us apart.

Aug 21, 2017, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

You're bragging about your JUCO's?

Seriously?

You know how many JUCO's Clemson has? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. In fact the last JUCO Clemson ever signed was Cory Groover. He graduated in 2005. And actually died in a car wreck in 2014 at age 31. (RIP, CG7. You are missed.)

Regardless, you get the idea. Groover was a special case because of his personality and talent, and we haven't signed a JUCO guy since.

We haven't had to.

Whatever, you start bragging about your JUCO's and knowledgeable Clemson fans start hearing "stopgap solutions" and "roster mismanagement".

JUCO's are B-rated bonds, friend. Occasionally you hit big, but 90% of the time they're worth nothing. You gamble on JUCO's because you have gaping holes in your roster and, well, you have to. Go no further than Last Chance U and your own (former) player John Franklin III to see why this is so.

Here's the #1-rated JUCO corner in the country from last year matched up against a Clemson receiver. His name is Jamarcus King and he wears #7. Actually...wait. King was actually the #1-rated JUCO player in the country, not just the #1 CB. My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZExxrYYAQ

Basically, you're telling us you have depth problems. Whether you understand it or not.

Aug 21, 2017, 5:45 AM

Burned.

Aug 21, 2017, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburnfan thread #2 ]

Wow ... You mad bro???

JUCOs .... yes .... let me tell you about our list of JUCOs.

1.Cam Newton - ...
2.Nick Marshall - NFL as a CB
3. Jovon Robinson Boss got dismissed before last year (Actually, ya'll didn't have to play him or Pettway last year)
4. Duke Williams - CFL
5.Rudi Johnson - All Pro
We've signed several. that's just the ones off the top of my head that have been successful.
There are many more .... OL and DL .... just cant think and sure as heck am not going to research)

Those are studs just off the top of my head.

But L.O.L at depth problems ..... Congrats on having no JUCOs???
Even Bama signs guys out of JUCO:
Terrance Cody (#1 DT in JUCO)
They just signed Buggs (#1 JUCO DE) .... I assure you, they don't have a depth problem.

"Those are studs just off the top of my head"

Aug 21, 2017, 5:01 PM

Jovon Robinson '15: 639 yds rushing, 3 TDs before being dismissed. really? guess that's a good career for the plain janes

Jason Smith '15: a whopping 260 yds receiving. expected to do nothing except claim a scholarship spot this year

Maurice Swain '15: "QB hurry against Clemson" quote from here: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maurice_swain_956648.html not much production in his short time with the program

Duke Williams '14: 1 game. worth your recruiting resources?

DaVonte Lambert '14: got multiple starts out of him. 'gratz

Derrick Montcrief '14: transferred before playing a down

Joseph Turner '14: never played a down. side note, I really feel sorry for the IT folks tasked with keeping up with your roster. holy chit that's a full time job

Davaroe Lawrence '14: actually still there. not a lot like our D. Lawrence

Xavier Dampeer '13: played in 12 games in his career

Ben Bradley '13: rotational DL player for 2 years. really, I mean that to be a compliment

Nick Marshall '13: good get. maximized his 2 years for sure

Cam Artis-Payne '13: same as above.

Kenny Flowers '13: special teamer for 3 years

Devonte Danzey '13: OL backup

Brandon King '13: changed positions before filling depth

i am only concerned with vt or state

Aug 20, 2017, 10:32 PM

on the road. au is just another game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: i am only concerned with vt or state

Aug 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

Re: i am only concerned with vt or state

Aug 21, 2017, 3:50 PM

be thankful you don't have to play them on the road sunshine and you get miss st or ole miss or florida. we would gladly take them on schedule vs playing better teams in the acc. incidentally, au is of no concern. you are not to be taken siriusly.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

AB Fan Worst Part of Those Triple Option Teams Games

Aug 20, 2017, 11:41 PM

Is Your D-Linemen Get Their Knees Cut to Hell. We Get it Every Year When We Play GA Tech

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AB Fan Worst Part of Those Triple Option Teams Games

Aug 21, 2017, 1:08 PM

Yes. Very nervous about that.

I think our AD should be fired for scheduling this game.

You keep talkin' about your line being so awesome.....

Aug 21, 2017, 3:04 AM

Take a look at this and see if you think Clemson is skeered.
Yeah. This guy will be playing.
https://vine.co/v/5YvUdLaVjbv/#####/postcard

Message was edited by: mikeyT®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You keep talkin' about your line being so awesome.....

Aug 21, 2017, 1:13 PM

Your Link is busted .... What does it say/show???
Who said Clemson is scared???? I just said we have the best OL in the SEC and probably the 2nd best DL in the SEC ....
I realize Clemson's DL is rated #1 ... but they will not see a better OL than AU this year during the regular season.

Guide To A Clemson Weekend For Auburn Fans

Aug 21, 2017, 5:31 AM

Feel free to use this, share it with friends at Auburn, etc. It is a "cliff notes" version with links of what to do and how to get around in Clemson.

http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2017/08/a-guide-to-clemson-weekend-for-auburn.html

Go (Clemson) Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Guide To A Clemson Weekend For Auburn Fans

Aug 21, 2017, 1:09 PM

Thanks Man!!! Much appreciated!

Do auburn fans like Kevin Steele?***

Aug 21, 2017, 10:08 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do auburn fans like Kevin Steele?***

Aug 21, 2017, 1:10 PM

Yes.

Although we realize the reason he had a Top 10 scoring D last year ... and likely will this year ...
is due to talent. They guy has been around the block .... learned some things the hard way, but is better for it.

Re: Do auburn fans like Kevin Steele?***

Aug 21, 2017, 3:50 PM

he's an idiot

Aug 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Were you kicked off the Auburn island and you've come here to haunt our boards? Please just let this thread die... Yelp and google are amazing tools, but I hope you have a great trip! ;)

Aug 21, 2017, 7:47 PM

To summarize:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20384894

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic