Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
JMHO on recruiting this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,658

JMHO on recruiting this year

Aug 13, 2017, 1:02 PM

I think that the coaches believed they could go after the top talent after winning the National Championship and could ride that into recruiting. Mind you, I'm not saying they weren't working hard, but maybe thought they would ride momentum. I think were they missed the mark may have not taken into account the amount of dirty negative recruiting. We will get our guys, but I think we tried something a little different this year and may have gotten a little caught off guard? Anyone else get this feeling?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, small class, so maybe that changed

Aug 13, 2017, 1:04 PM

Things as well.

it sucks that we only got 2 top 10 players

Aug 13, 2017, 1:04 PM

instead of 4 or 5

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may have missed the point of my

Aug 13, 2017, 1:06 PM

Post, and it was only an opinion.

This may be our BEST class EVER from a quality perspective !

Aug 13, 2017, 4:21 PM

I mean honestly, you can have your opinion and even state it if you want, but it just sounds a bit ridiculous given the level of talent the coaches have accumulated in the 2018 class.

Still, we've missed on a couple of top kids. Hard as it is to believe ... even after a national championship ... not EVERY high school star wants to come to Clemson.

We have a Top-10 class while working with the fewest available scholarships of any school other than Stanford and it's still not over.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: JMHO on recruiting this year

Aug 13, 2017, 1:07 PM

We have a dream class for most schools with the numbers available. It will play out very well when the recruits realize we are here to stay in a battle for another National Championship.

If teams are talking mess they will start losing!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 13, 2017, 1:10 PM

We have the 2 best players in the country and are still in it with several other 5 star players, not to mention Belk, Mascoll, Kendrick and several others that everyone wanted. We have an excellent class with small numbers.

Aug 13, 2017, 1:16 PM

I don't agree with that at all. We have a small class numbers so I think our coaches were/are being conservative with the offers and we have been targeting our top ppl on our boards harder then usual bc of the small numbers in my opinion has nothing to do with them changing their style or just laying back expecting to land stud just bc of title (i don't think that's neccasarily what you meant). If you look at our board and then our commits we have landed our top guys at most of our posistions. Yea we missed on white at RB and bc of that missed on other good RBs waiting on him. To me that promise to white not to offer other ppl until he chose was not the best decision to make but hey they made a promise and kept it, that's shows a lot to future recruits. We got our top guys at QB D-line (still going after Henry) WR we got kendricks and I have a feeling we have a great shot at Ross who is a stud. O-line we are still going after top guys but seems negative recruiting hasn't hurt us much at all. Might not land Carmen but tbh I never really thought he would move away to clemson I think he wants to stay close to home so don't think negative recruiting has hurt us on him, and I think we land Slayer. So to me seems we are hitting all our top targets with just missing on a few. I mean we are the only team in top 10 recruiting rankings with just 11 commits everyone else has atleast 16. I think this class will make a huge impact b4 they leave clemson. So I don't agree with you on some of your points.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 1:35 PM

Your post is very fair. I just hope we land a couple of stud olineman and Henry. I could see both Cle and Austin going pro.

Even if Cle and AB go pro, DE is far from desolate

Aug 13, 2017, 1:47 PM

Xavier Kelly is one of the players I'm most excited to see this year. Hope his redshirt year will pay dividends.

Richard Yeargin should be fully recovered and want to prove it coming off injury.

Chris Register will have one more year of eligibility, but could be a grad transfer candidate.

Justin Foster seems to be ahead of where folks hoped at this point converting to a DE.

Logan Rudolph, aside from injury, seemed primed to avoid a redshirt this year.

Add in Xavier Thomas and Justin Mascoll and I'm lower on the need for DE than most.

Aug 13, 2017, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: JMHO on recruiting this year ]

Yea I agree with you on landing couple of good olinemen. I think we have a great shot st Slayer and if we land another good recruit best case being somehow we do land Carmen I would be very happy with those two. I also really hope we land Henry as well bc we aren't very deep at DE and like you said we could lose 1 or 2 to pros. But I think Bryant will have to have an amazing year for it to be smart for him to jump to NFL but never know.

Aug 13, 2017, 1:45 PM

Exactly! Because you have a small class doesn't mean you change what got you here. We were used by a lot of these 5 star kids to pad a resume. Eagles,Cook,and the Texas contingent was never serious about Clemson. Is anybody surprised that the opposing coaches are using negative tactics given the fact that we are national champs? It's a cutthroat business not meant for honest coaches. Get used to it.

B9 if it is any consolation Cootmichael agrees with you.

Aug 13, 2017, 4:30 PM

LOL!!

Re: B9 if it is any consolation Cootmichael agrees with you.

Aug 13, 2017, 8:09 PM

I was anticipating a Coot Michael response in this thread and wasn't dissapointed.

Apparantley some great sales jobs by unworthy coaches

Aug 13, 2017, 2:12 PM

too. So Kevin Steele switches a young man, thought to be heavy lean to Clemson, by telling him not to believe all the Disney World hype, and that it will be different when he gets there. This information coming from a man who has hardly had a stint of more than 4 consecutive years at any school. Looking at his biography over the last 30 years, history says that he will not be at Auburn when the 2018 recruiting class finishes their eligibility.

Aug 13, 2017, 2:37 PM

Q: "I think we tried something a little different this year and may have gotten a little caught off guard? Anyone else get this feeling?"

A: "No"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 4:11 PM

I do not agree as well and let me tell you why. I believe some fans think that Clemson isn't doing well in recruiting because some of our targets chose other schools. Well like you said in the OP Clemson seems to be dealing with even more negative recruiting than before. Use to other teams would say "well Clemson is a nice school but you aren't winning a national championship there". Well we all know you can't use that anymore. So I believe now their tactics are even more devilish but I digress. This class is already special, forget the could be part. Also Dabo believes in systems and Dabo does not deviate from that system no matter what. As a matter of fact winning a national championship just further reinforces what he has been doing to begin with. So no I don't believe they changed something up or gotten lazier because of winning if anything they know the formula works to not change anything up. I know some may not put as much stock in negative recruiting but it has hurt us a few times just the past few years. This year with Auburn and Monday and now Ohio State telling Carmen he can't get to the NFL from Clemson. You had Florida with Rumph and Zachary Carter last season. Its hard when you have other coaches willing to tell lie after lie to impressionable 17-18 year old kids who don't know any better. Now you have the DB in Florida who I can't remember saying after the AIC that he felt pressured to commit when that has NEVER been the M.O. of Dabo or the Clemson staff. I am just wondering if another school has gotten into his ear with another lie and that is what he is selling it with because you have never heard a recruit ever say he felt pressured by this staff, it doesn't happen. As a matter of fact Dabo tries to talk these guys out of committing by letting these guys know that if they commit he expects them to shut down the recruiting process. So yeah there are some weird things going on but it has nothing to do with Clemson or this coaching staff.

Years and years of recruiting experience and caught

Aug 13, 2017, 4:26 PM

off guard??? NO!

Aug 13, 2017, 5:23 PM

I have a feeling there will be a couple surprises in recruiting this year.

Aug 13, 2017, 6:17 PM

SMH
We have the #1 AND #2 rated players in the country committed and all the others are highly rated and some #1 in their position. Exactly what are you disappointed in?

Aug 13, 2017, 9:23 PM

It's just dead time before the first game and made a post. Not too much to it. We do have a great class coming in. Always want more though.

We are putting together maybe the best class in school...

Aug 13, 2017, 8:20 PM

history. They have done an amazing job.

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,658
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic