Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scrimmage and QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 5,587

Scrimmage and QBs

Aug 12, 2017, 7:49 PM

I guess it depends on how you read it. But it almost sounds like Kelly Bryant struggled with some throws. And the other guys hunter Johnson and zerrick cooper and Brice perhaps had better days throwing the football. I just feel Bryant might be the starter but he won't be the starter for long if he struggles throwing the football. Hopefully Dabo keeps a short leach because we have greater more talented guys behind Kelly Bryant

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scrimmage and QBs

Aug 12, 2017, 8:06 PM

Kelly Bryant went up against the first team defense all day.

Zerrick Cooper went up against 2nd string.

Hunter and Chase were going up against the 3rd string. Food for thought before people crucify KB over a one hand touch scrimmage

KB will be okay. Just needs to focus and...

Aug 12, 2017, 8:12 PM

keep paying his game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe Cooper had one series against the 1's as well...

Aug 12, 2017, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Scrimmage and QBs ]

but again, KB will be okay. I'm not losing faith in the guy that easy.

Re: I believe Cooper had one series against the 1's as well...

Aug 12, 2017, 8:21 PM

Yeah I think Cooper is second string over Johnson honestly. I feel if Cooper can become more consistent he could really push Bryant.

Best arm talent of all the qbs. However I do think that we should go KB until we have a reason to go in another direction. He'll be a handful in a real game compared to a one hand touch scrimmage

Aug 12, 2017, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Scrimmage and QBs ]

81, do you work with the coaching staff, or do you know somebody that got you in to watch the scrimmage?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2017, 10:12 PM

I do not. Just read multiple outlets for Clemson football. A couple of other outlets mentioned Cooper was going up against the second string defense while Johnson went up against the thirds. Seems to indicate what the depth chart currently is

Aug 12, 2017, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Scrimmage and QBs ]

"Kelly Bryant went up against the first team defense all day. "

There is a fallacy with this statement:
The point is, KB is having issues throwing the ball. If he is having issues throwing the ball, then we will not win enough games to allow him to remain as the starting QB. At some point, Dabo will have to try another QB and see if they can throw against the 1's. KB has a ton of pressure for sure, but he simply has to be able to throw. Being one-dimensional is easy to defend.

We can win if he just runs well.***

Aug 12, 2017, 8:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We can win if he just runs well.***

Aug 12, 2017, 8:36 PM

No we can't.

Re: We can win if he just runs well.***

Aug 12, 2017, 9:33 PM [ in reply to We can win if he just runs well.*** ]

Yea not sure what planet you live on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

You have to take those reports with a grade of slaw

Aug 12, 2017, 8:10 PM

Bet KB would've had a better day against the 2nd or 3rd team and the other guys would've struggled. KB is facing a #%mn good defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that you Mackey?***

Aug 12, 2017, 8:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2017, 8:17 PM

Something to keep in mind is that Clemson's D this year looks like Alabama's D last year.

It goes pretty much 3-deep across the board. When you've got guys like Jabril Robinson, Shaq Smith, and Isaiah Simmons struggling to crack the 2-deep you know you've got depth.

Clemson's DL is without question better than it was last year - leaving aside that it's a year older, Clelin Ferrell is established and Austin Bryant is finally healthy, and there's a swarm of talented younguns fighting for spots behind that, and as a result we've finally been able to move Christian Wilkins back inside alongside Dexter Lawrence. Then those two trot off and people are having to deal with Huggy Bear and Nyles Pinckney - unfair.

Tre Lamar brings something we haven't had at MLB since Stephone Anthony - the guy is immense at 250 and can flat thump you inside, and then you've now got Tanner Muse cruising around in centerfield behind him. Yes, Clemson will miss Boulware and Jadar Johnson but there's little doubt Clemson got significantly bigger, faster, and more athletic in the back 7.

Short version is our D looks poised to challenge for the national lead like they did in 2014. Last year's edition was pretty good, finishing 8th overall even after playing a Who's Who of college football superpowers last year...but this year's edition could be something special even by Clemson's recent standards.

So QB's are going to struggle. The good news is, anybody else they face this year will seem like a let-off compared to what they face in practice every day.

Hard to worry overly about our QB's, considering we've got three 4-star guys and a 5-star back there and probably all but 2-3 teams in America would cheerfully trade us straight-up for them. They're young, granted, but hey...Uptown problems, you know?

Aug 12, 2017, 8:48 PM

The problem is that 2014 defense still gave up 45 to UGA, 35 to UNC, and 28 to GT.....

We'll have to outscore some teams.

Aug 12, 2017, 10:23 PM

You do realize that GTs D in 2014 scored as many points in that game as their O did thanks to Cole Stoudt.

Aug 13, 2017, 1:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Scrimmage and QBs ]

I would add Q's analysis that when the games come, Bryant will get more help from his O-line and receivers than maybe any other QB in the country and there's a chance we'll be pretty slick at RB as well.

Bryant may end up looking like a superstar while most of the credit will belong elsewhere.

Aug 12, 2017, 8:39 PM

Dabo said Bryant had as good of a day by a QB in a long time...

"He probably had as good of a day by a quarterback around here in a long, long time. It was unbelievable and then today in a little different environment and a little different situation. He didn't finish on a couple of plays. He had a couple of things go wrong, but I still liked how he responded. I liked how he pushed the group. He didn't have the production that he had yesterday but he still did what he needed to do. He's been incredibly consistent as far as doing what we needed him to do. I think it's the same thing with Zerrick and Hunter and then that little Chase, he just won't go away. He's got a little swag to him and a lot of talent. I think all four of those guys are progressing the way we want."

Dabo was talking about Friday practice, not today's scrimmage***

Aug 12, 2017, 9:17 PM

Aug 12, 2017, 8:49 PM

Maybe I really hope he does/has developed as a passer bc I haven't seen it yet not saying he hasn't or can't. He is fast as a deer and with his running ability if he can get the passing game down then he will be a major weapon and make our offense that much harder to stop with the read option run/throw will be very hard to stop with KB running ability. If he doesn't develop I hope we can move him out like a Braxton miller move bc he's too talented to just not use with his speed and ability to make running plays with the ball in his hand. I do wish HJ and ZC would have got good snaps against first team to get them experience against a nasty defense one of the best in country. Really helps get guys experienced when they have to go against one if not the best front 7 in college football and a top overall defense as a whole! Go Tigers!!

Aug 12, 2017, 8:52 PM

So do I, we have receivers that will be interviewing for the NFL during this season....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate leaches...................***

Aug 12, 2017, 8:58 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Especially those short leaches, they are really pesky!!***

Aug 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where does it say ANYWHERE KB struggled with throws?

Aug 12, 2017, 9:25 PM

Just completely reading what you want out of the interviews given, for who you want to win the QB job.

The one int. he made the right read was just a missed assignment. Dabo said he made the right reads the entire game and only had one series where he didn't face the ones on D.

Re: Where does it say ANYWHERE KB struggled with throws?

Aug 12, 2017, 9:44 PM

Not sure which story or interview, maybe kb's interview but it was said he missed some throws. But whatever, we'll all know on September 9th. Not sure you'll see anything 9-2.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where does it say ANYWHERE KB struggled with throws?

Aug 12, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Where does it say ANYWHERE KB struggled with throws? ]

Bryant is not a good passer. He may start but our offense will be run based. Has Bryant ever had a scrimmage with good passing numbers. He's more athlete than qb and it will not happen for him as a passer.

Muse intercepted him, only qb intercepted from what I read

Aug 12, 2017, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Where does it say ANYWHERE KB struggled with throws? ]

but Muse may make a bunch of them this year hopefully.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Dabo doesn't bring any leaches, short, long,

Aug 12, 2017, 9:29 PM

whatever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Personally, I hope KB keeps the job

Aug 12, 2017, 9:53 PM

First off, KB is extremely talented. People seem to forget that. The guy runs like a deer and has a strong arm(albeit inaccurate at times). I would much rather trust a third-year guy who has seen game time and been under a guy like DW4, than an unexperienced (albeit talented) youngster.
I think many tiger fans are suffering from "Stout-Watson syndrome". People are assuming that just because of the Cole Stoudt-Deshaun Watson situation in 2014, that the same applies this year. I disagree. I think KB is a better QB and in a better spot than Stoudt was, and the guys behind KB aren't the once-in-a-generation player like Watson was.
Point is: I have faith in Kelly, and I think all tiger fans should until he gives us a reason not to.

I think KB dominates against Kent St.

Aug 12, 2017, 10:53 PM

And gets the nod against Auburn winning that game handily.

If he struggles vs Auburn passing, coach will put in 2nd string. But I really don't see that happening. Our offense is built for KB to succeed w all the playmakers and short passes. I really think KB is gonna surprise a lot of people.

Heck, OSU's QB could barely throw it 20 yards accurately yet they dominated most teams based on overall talent.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like your positive approach JFB

Aug 13, 2017, 2:38 AM

We can look for AUB and LOU to stack the line but will it matter? Can KB just run around a stacked line and then loft deep passes to D. Cain ala Lamar Jackson? Maybe. No doubt we will be missing the great DW and will just have to adjust.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think KB dominates against Kent St.

Aug 13, 2017, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I think KB dominates against Kent St. ]

What happens if we can't get a passing game going vs Kent St?
Kent St is a very bad team one we should be able to do what we want when we want .
If somehow they stop us from throwing the ball because KB is off the mark.
I would think it quite stupid to start Bryant vs Auburn.

Aug 13, 2017, 1:22 PM

Yes, it sounds like Dabo went out of his way to make excuses on Kelly's interception. Sounds like he is going to defend this guy to his detriment. Remember Parker, Stoudt? Sound similar.

I just think Dabo has a blind spot to QBs for tenure and loyalty.

Coot you are trying too hard, same as Coot Michael!!***

Aug 13, 2017, 5:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 5,587
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic