Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Steagles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 775

The Steagles

Jun 19, 2017, 5:08 PM

Any of you ever hear of a NFL team known as the Steagles? WW2 played havoc with the NFL just as it did for other draft age civilians. Several teams were so depleted when the 1943 pre-season came around that several teams merged. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles merged and were known as the Steagles. Most of the games were played in Philadelphia but a few were played in Pittsburgh.

The Army had sent me to school at Carnegie Tech in Pittsburgh and I was there during the 1943 season. Forbes Field, home of the Steelers, was just down the street from Carnegie Tech. Because we were in uniform, most of the time we were given free tickets to the games played in Pittsburgh. For one game, I had to purchase a ticket and the price was outrageous --- $2.20, $2.00 for admission and twenty cent Federal tax. The Steagles were playing the Detroit Lions.

In 1944, the Steelers and Chicago Cardinals merged but I don't remember what they were called. I do remember the team was horrible. I was now stationed at Camp Crowder, MO. I received a three day pass to go to Pittsburgh to visit a young lady and went to Forbes Field on Sept. 24 to see the Steelers-Cardinals play the Cleveland Rams. The price of admission was still $2.00 but the Federal tax was now forty cents. I am currently looking at the stubs for the 1943 and 1944 games in which I had to pay for my tickets. Don't know how or why I saved these ticket stubs and still able to find them. Apparently, they traveled with me all over Europe during my time there.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 775
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic